DeSantis signs controversial bill banning kids under 14 from opening social media accounts

Well, in just about every state, except Florida now, they can open an account on a social media site without their parent's consent.
You're missing the point. They can't do anything without their parents consent. Ultimately, it's up to the parents, and laws like this are PR horseshit.

It's more designed to keep children away from groomers and pedos

Yeah, but pedos and groomers are everywhere not just online. Does that mean that we should just put them in a plastic bubble? Not like I'm condoning them having social media accounts but I'm just discussing your argument right now.

14th and last time, as you've just admitted, this law in no way whatsoever interferes with how you choose to raise your children, so I don't know why you keep saying that.

And I don't know why you aren't even listening to me. :rolleyes:

??? The parents decide under this law, not the government. Do you guys not read the links provided in the OP?

Then what's the point of even bringing this topic up to begin with?

Nothing wrong with anyone making children safer.

You obliviously don't think so.... wuddayaknow!

I agree with Slade but I definitely still think that children should be safe, but that's the job of the parents in this circumstance not the government.

If you help prevent laws against children smoking cigarettes then you share the blame for their future health problems

What does smoking have to do with this?

Well, in just about every state, except Florida now, they can open an account on a social media site without their parent's consent.

They can still do that anyways, law or no law.

Like drinking and drugs and getting pregnant and ...
Pretty much. Just token garbage for busybodies to get worked up about. If people want their kids drinking, doing drugs and getting pregnant, no law is going to matter.
Sure, but a little help from the gvt once in a while can't hurt.
Sure it can. The nanny state frequently does more damage than it prevents.

MYOB. If you don't want your kids on social media, don't let them on social media. If you're just stoked about getting your nose up in other peoples' business, I have no sympathy for your cause.

Pretty much. Just token garbage for busybodies to get worked up about. If people want their kids drinking, doing drugs and getting pregnant, no law is going to matter.

Sure it can. The nanny state frequently does more damage than it prevents.

MYOB. If you don't want your kids on social media, don't let them on social media. If you're just stoked about getting your nose up in other peoples' business, I have no sympathy for your cause.
LOL If you don't want your kids doing drugs, don't let them do drugs. I have no sympathy for these parents whose kids are dying from fentynal. They have no one to blame but themselves. /s

We established that conservatives don’t want to be told how to raise their kids but have no problem telling others how to do it.
There are no absolutes

I have pointed out that society does impose limits on what children are allowed to do at what age

Can I assume that you agree with prohibiting children from buying cigarettes?

There are no absolutes

I have pointed out that society does impose limits on what children are allowed to do at what age

Can I assume that you agree with prohibiting children from buying cigarettes?
So the whole right wing “parents rights” was all bullshit.

From the article. . :eusa_think:

". . .Federal courts have blocked much of that law on First Amendment grounds. Florida took the case to the U.S. Supreme Court, which heard arguments last month but has not issued a ruling.. . . "

I'm sort of confused on two points with this.

First, there is no fine or penalty mentioned in the article which has been worked into the law, which is levied onto parents, for allowing thirteen year olds, twelve year olds, or younger from having theses account. In fact, if bad parents purposely give their kids smart devices, and let them have these types of toxic accounts, I'd say, they are more at fault then tech companies.

Second, the SCOTUS has already ruled in many H.S. cases, that student run papers, have no first Amendment rights, Nor do children have Constitutional rights, they are the charges of their parents & guardians, when kids disagree on parenting decisions based on the Constitution . . or at least this had always been my understanding.

So this article makes no sense to me.

Since when do children have Constitutional Rights?
Decades. Off the top of my head: Tinker vs Des Moines.
I would prefer a simple ban on all social media account for kids under 16 and parental consent for 16 through 21
That's idiotic.

So the kids are like forty years old and still no phones eh?
1711498262778.png

Hidden Side of Steve Jobs And Bill Gates: They Banned Their Kids From iPads And Other Devices They Created​

Why Steve Jobs and Bill Gates Both Severely Limited Their Kids' Tech Use

They built our tech-obsessed world, but they wanted something different for their own kids.​

We have a government these days aided and abetted by their surrogate media and organizations like the ACLU who protects rights for some but not the politically incorrect. . .such government now dictates what is and is not legal under the Constitution and lately, if the court disagrees, they just ignore it.

And when that government WANTS very young children to be taught things like CRT, gender identification, sexually explicit information and reading material, when they support zero regulation of any kind on abortion, when they promote obscene and vulgar transvestite entertainment for kids, when they punish parents for not allowing their kids to take the drugs and have the surgery to transgender. . .

. . .they of course want all information they don't like to be suppressed or banned, but do you really believe they care what vulgarity, solicitation, adults themes that kids are exposed to on the internet?
I have long been suspicious that big tech wants to take the rights of parents away, to get minors on-line, in order to enable them to be used as labor, contravening child labor laws, IMO.

More and more folks are working remotely.

Big Tech stands to make a lot of money from kids that are social media influencers. If laws like this are enforced, platforms like YouTube, Instagram, Tik Tok and others stand to lose billions from kids that make videos for other kids to view.

Personally, I think it is shameful. . the folks on here that aren't standing up for protecting children from irresponsible parents.

Whether it is just simple videos of kids playing with toys, or kids playing video games? I can't say I understand the attraction, but kids really do love to watch other kids playing with toys and playing video games. It is big business. To say nothing of the viral teen inflluencers the bring in profits for their respective platforms.

. . and their parents? Like in the old days of parents sending their kids to sweatshops or coal mines, they too, don't want government getting in the way of the goose that lays the golden egg. They want the right to, "home-school," so these kids can continue to bring home the bacon for their families. :(

. . . and the market place sure as hell doesn't give a shit about the future of these minors either. . .

I have long been suspicious that big tech wants to take the rights of parents away, to get minors on-line, in order to enable them to be used as labor, contravening child labor laws, IMO.

More and more folks are working remotely.

Big Tech stands to make a lot of money from kids that are social media influencers. If laws like this are enforced, platforms like YouTube, Instagram, Tik Tok and others stand to lose billions from kids that make videos for other kids to view.

Personally, I think it is shameful. . the folks on here that aren't standing up for protecting children from irresponsible parents.

Whether it is just simple videos of kids playing with toys, or kids playing video games? I can't say I understand the attraction, but kids really do love to watch other kids playing with toys and playing video games. It is big business. To say nothing of the viral teen inflluencers the bring in profits for their respective platforms.

. . and their parents? Like in the old days of parents sending their kids to sweatshops or coal mines, they too, don't want government getting in the way of the goose that lays the golden egg. They want the right to, "home-school," so these kids can continue to bring home the bacon for their families. :(

. . . and the market place sure as hell doesn't give a shit about the future of these minors either. . .

I'm not sure what the end game is other than the relentless effort to break down all American traditions and traditional values and that of course requires tearing apart the traditional nuclear family and separating the kids from the parents. It all is geared for a totalitarian government to be able to control the people completely. Not easy to do in a country with America's history but they're doing all they can to accomplish it. And they're making progress.

View attachment 922899

Hidden Side of Steve Jobs And Bill Gates: They Banned Their Kids From iPads And Other Devices They Created​

Why Steve Jobs and Bill Gates Both Severely Limited Their Kids' Tech Use

They built our tech-obsessed world, but they wanted something different for their own kids.​

I could not care wtf they did.

Forum List

Back