desantis says some slaves may have been taught to be a blacksmith...a good thing!

No. That is not what he said - you are projecting, bub.

He said that some freed slaves used what they had learned to improve their lives. That is admirable - to improve oneself after a horrible time of slavery and adversity.

If you bother to read the curriculum outline, you'll find that this brouhaha is taken completely out of context. The curriculum has a broad set of topics, including

View attachment 808161

View attachment 808162

View attachment 808163

View attachment 808164
Ronnie lied when he said he had nothing to do with the new standards. There is NO way someone can convince the black community that slavery had it's good points. He blew it when he bought up the "blacksmith" term. Blacks have advanced tremendously since slavery. That should be the point. And they have done it in the face of horrible racism, violence, and discrimination. To even suggest that blacks benefited from the masters teaching them trades is insulting and demeaning.

Ronnie lied when he said he had nothing to do with the new standards. There is NO way someone can convince the black community that slavery had it's good points. He blew it when he bought up the "blacksmith" term. Blacks have advanced tremendously since slavery. That should be the point. And they have done it in the face of horrible racism, violence, and discrimination. To even suggest that blacks benefited from the masters teaching them trades is insulting and demeaning.

When you are a left wing loon and bodeicca has to set you straight, you should probably just slink away.

No. That is not what he said - you are projecting, bub.

He said that some freed slaves used what they had learned to improve their lives. That is admirable - to improve oneself after a horrible time of slavery and adversity.

If you bother to read the curriculum outline, you'll find that this brouhaha is taken completely out of context. The curriculum has a broad set of topics, including

View attachment 808161

View attachment 808162

View attachment 808163

View attachment 808164

“Slavery wasn’t a jobs program that taught beneficial skills,” Hurd, the son of a Black father and a White mother, tweeted. “It was literally dehumanizing and subjugated people as property because they lacked any rights or freedoms.”
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

“Let’s really dissect what he’s saying here,” she said. “He’s saying that to be ripped away from your homelands and brought to another country against your will, or to be born into the atrocity of the dehumanizing institution that was slavery, that those horrors are some way somehow outweighed by the benefit that you get a trade. Are you kidding me?”

desantis will never be able to walk back that comment.

Condolences on your lack of reading comprehension. In context, the curriculum explores the spread of slavery due to the cotton gin, and then how slavery was "diviersified" into other areas, including skilled labor and trades. The skills slaves learned belonged to them - and post Abolition, they could use those skills.

The Curriculum also includes sections on African-American contributions to our country, and Florida in particular, via their patriotism, art, discoveries, etc.. It highlights the Abolition movement. Nowhere does it say slavery was a good thing.

Condolences on your lack of reading comprehension. In context, the curriculum explores the spread of slavery due to the cotton gin, and then how slavery was "diviersified" into other areas, including skilled labor and trades. The skills slaves learned belonged to them - and post Abolition, they could use those skills.

The Curriculum also includes sections on African-American contributions to our country, and Florida in particular, via their patriotism, art, discoveries, etc.. It highlights the Abolition movement. Nowhere does it say slavery was a good thing.
The implications are very obvious. Thank you

The implications are very obvious. Thank you

You'll never be able to convince anyone that you're not a racist member of a racist party as long as you keep voting for people like this:

1690393214128.png

I think any curriculum to middle schoolers that tries to argue for an upside to the institution of slavery is not really great. My personal opinion of course.

I would react the same to a claim that the holocaust led to an uptick in Jews trained in machining because they were forced to work at Krupp.

I think any curriculum to middle schoolers that tries to argue for an upside to the institution of slavery is not really great. My personal opinion of course.

I would react the same to a claim that the holocaust led to an uptick in Jews trained in machining because they were forced to work at Krupp.

It's not an upside; it's a description of the facts of the conditions and roles of slaves.

Let's hope the Meatball gained some useful skills from his fiasco of a campaign

I mean, Little Ronnie thinks, shoeing horses beat the heck out of sharpening spears. Them Darkies should be Happy!
Hey jimboliar....are you watching Fox News right now?
They aren't talking about DeSantis......or Trump....

It's not an upside; it's a description of the facts of the conditions and roles of slaves.
How is it not portrait as an upside? My wife does the same thing when we argue. She claims something is a fact, like that makes the thing she's saying as somehow not offensive.

I'm a history-buff. I'm aware that horrendous things still can have admirable qualities. (Mussolini made the trains run in time. The Nazis invented recreational cruise liners. Etc.,etc.) The problem is I'm actually interested to know these things so before I learned these facts, I had a lot of knowledge to put this into context. Second, I'm an adult. The point is that this is the curriculum to middle schoolers.

Most middle schoolers aren't interested in history to the point that they are capable of envisioning a context that would make the statement that slavery had some benefits for black people understandable.

How is it not portrait as an upside? My wife does the same thing when we argue. She claims something is a fact, like that makes the thing she's saying as somehow not offensive.

I'm a history-buff. I'm aware that horrendous things still can have admirable qualities. (Mussolini made the trains run in time. The Nazis invented recreational cruise liners. Etc.,etc.) The problem is I'm actually interested to know these things so before I learned these facts, I had a lot of knowledge to put this into context. Second, I'm an adult. The point is that this is the curriculum to middle schoolers.

Most middle schoolers aren't interested in history to the point that they are capable of envisioning a context that would make the statement that slavery had some benefits for black people understandable.

Did you read the curriculum outline? It traces the change in slaves form being de facto beasts of burden to learning valuable skills. The benefit was to the owners of the slaves, imo. Once slavery was abolished, the skills belonged to the former slaves. This fact doesn't justify slavery or claim it is a good institution. It is just an relevant consideration in the rebuilding of lives post slavery.

Did you read the curriculum outline? It traces the change in slaves form being de facto beasts of burden to learning valuable skills. The benefit was to the owners of the slaves, imo. Once slavery was abolished, the skills belonged to the former slaves. This fact doesn't justify slavery or claim it is a good institution. It is just an relevant consideration in the rebuilding of lives post slavery.
Still trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit?

Not me. It's not a useful skill

You must be a slow learner then. You practice is with a great deal of frequency on this board. Perhaps you need a better tutor. How about someone like Adam Kissinger or Biden's Affirmative Action press secretary?

You must be a slow learner then. You practice is with a great deal of frequency on this board. Perhaps you need a better tutor. How about someone like Adam Kissinger or Biden's Affirmative Action press secretary?
The Meatball fucked up. Hopefully he learns something from it.

Forum List

Back