Denial of quorum not so time honored if Republicans do it

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
For those who say told me that I only think running away is bad if Democrats do it, I say bravo to Byrd. I also like the idea that he actually made them actively filibuster, even if that meant he had to stay up too.

For those who argued that denying quorum is a legit tactic, and that nothing can legally be done about it, I point out the fact that Senate Republicans were actually arrested, and carried back to the Senate chamber.

The police raiders struck after midnight. Armed but in plain clothes, they knocked on the locked door. No response. Their leader inserted a passkey and pushed. On the inside, the fugitive braced a shoulder against the door and shoved back. But the lawmen burst in, reinjuring the suspect's broken finger. Reluctantly he allowed them to lead him into an elevator, then went limp. They lifted him up, carried him feet first through massive doors -- and onto the floor of the U.S. Senate. The bizarre arrest of Republican Senator Bob Packwood of Oregon by the Senate's sergeant at arms and five Capitol police officers last week showed how emotional the presumably genteel senior body has grown over a furiously partisan election-year issue: a Democratic plan to reform campaign financing. Packwood's offense was to flee a quorum call. The raiders also came across Connecticut Republican Lowell Weicker, who was waiting out the call in his office. But, cowed by Weicker's bulk (6 ft. 6 in., 235 lbs.), they backed off when he stoutly insisted on remaining on his couch.
The witching-hour theatrics stemmed from the frustration of Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd over the Republicans' filibuster of his cherished campaign finance-reform bill. Last year Byrd failed in seven attempts to muster the 60 votes needed to shut off a debate and bring the measure to a vote. Last week he decided to take off the gloves, declaring, "There is no point in continuing the casual, gentlemanly good-guy filibuster."

:clap2:

So it's gonna be ok when the police go dragging the Dems back to WI to do the fucking job they were elected - and are currently being paid - to do. Good. Politicians should not run away.... what part of that is hard to understand? Is that what we want to teach children? That running away from hard work is acceptable?

So it's gonna be ok when the police go dragging the Dems back to WI to do the fucking job they were elected - and are currently being paid - to do. Good. Politicians should not run away.... what part of that is hard to understand? Is that what we want to teach children? That running away from hard work is acceptable?

Do you consider filibustering acceptable?

Do you consider filibustering acceptable?

When was the last time someone was arrested for filibustering?

The raiders also came across Connecticut Republican Lowell Weicker, who was waiting out the call in his office. But, cowed by Weicker's bulk (6 ft. 6 in., 235 lbs.), they backed off when he stoutly insisted on remaining on his couch.
[/LEFT]

LOL...so all they need to do is go get one wee little-bity dem and bring him back.

The raiders also came across Connecticut Republican Lowell Weicker, who was waiting out the call in his office. But, cowed by Weicker's bulk (6 ft. 6 in., 235 lbs.), they backed off when he stoutly insisted on remaining on his couch.
[/left]

LOL...so all they need to do is go get one wee little-bity dem and bring him back.

If I remember correctly they actually need 2.

Forum List

Back