Wages and benefits

Iowa10000

Rookie
Nov 1, 2010
Could someone from the right please tell me exactly what a person working a full time job with a college degree and say 10/20 years of exp should be making as a wage and what benefits should they have?

I just want to know because my son is looking for a job and I told him that he should be looking to improve on what he is getting now, and he surly deserves better benefits.

So tell me what you think you would be willing to pay him if he would fit one of your jobs that you might be looking to fill?:confused:

That would depend upon what his degree is in and his job history. You aren't providing enough info.

Could someone from the right please tell me exactly what a person working a full time job with a college degree and say 10/20 years of exp should be making as a wage and what benefits should they have?

I just want to know because my son is looking for a job and I told him that he should be looking to improve on what he is getting now, and he surly deserves better benefits.

So tell me what you think you would be willing to pay him if he would fit one of your jobs that you might be looking to fill?:confused:

In nursing school i remember one of the instructors asking us why we wanted to enter the field.

She was very clear, if you were doing it for the money get over it. Garbage men make more money then nurses.

Good luck for him finding a better job than he has now. In this economy, good jobs arent easy to come by.

My suggestion would be that he should look into it himself. After all, he is the best one to know what the going prices in his field are.

I'd pay him what the market could bear, I'd pay him comparatively with other pay grades for his expertise, his experience, and his education. You know that a neuro surgeon makes much more than a GP right? He also spends more on his education and invests more time in residency and he also pays a hellava lot more in overhead. What would you be willing to pay a neurosurgeon?

In nursing school i remember one of the instructors asking us why we wanted to enter the field.

She was very clear, if you were doing it for the money get over it. Garbage men make more money then nurses.

I have my first paycheck stub. Do you?

Why is your son surly? That won't get him much.

Maybe as an entry level nurse. Experienced, solid nurses can do very well.

• Banned
The Average Salary of High School Graduates | eHow.com

The Best and Worst College Degrees by Salary - CBS MoneyWatch.com
chart from this article
In a new survey of salaries by college degree, business administration didn’t even break into the list of the top 10 or 20 most lucrative college degrees, according to the latest annual salary survey by PayScale, Inc. A variety of engineering majors claim eight of the top 10 salary spots with chemical engineering ($65,700) winning best of show for starting salaries.

Out of 75 undergrad college majors, business administration ($42,900) came in 35th, behind such degrees as occupational therapy ($61,300) and information technology ($49,400).

What I found equally fascinating were the college majors that lead to the most anemic paychecks. Here are the worst paying college degrees:

College Degrees Starting Salary Mid-career median salary

1.Social Work $33,400 $41,600
2.Elementary Education $33,000 $42,400
3.Theology $34,800 $51,500
4.Music $34,000 $52,000
5.Spanish $35,600 $52,600
6.Horticulture $37,200 $53,400
7.Education $36,200 $54,100
8.Hospitality/Tourism $37,000 $54,300
9.Fine Arts $35,800 $56,300
10.Drama $35,600 $56,600

another article, i saw this, but it sure doesn't sound like a job where your going to get rich vs all the education and time spent.

Median annual wages of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers ranged from $47,100 to $51,180 in May 2008; the lowest 10 percent earned $30,970 to $34,280; the top 10 percent earned $75,190 to $80,970.

According to the American Federation of Teachers, beginning teachers with a bachelor's degree earned an average of $33,227 in the 2005-2006 school year.

In 2008, of the majority of all elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers belonged to unions—mainly the American Federation of Teachers and the National Education Association—that bargain with school systems over salaries, hours, and other terms and conditions of employment.

Teachers can boost their earnings in a number of ways. In some schools, teachers receive extra pay for coaching sports and working with students in extracurricular activities. Getting a master's degree or national certification often results in a raise in pay, as does acting as a mentor. Some teachers earn extra income during the summer by teaching summer school or performing other jobs in the school system. Although private school teachers generally earn less than public school teachers, they may be given other benefits, such as free or subsidized housing.

Depends on what you are doing and where. I know CPA's working for not-for-profits as controllers or CFO's making a hell of lot less than CPA's working as software consultants in private industry.

All depends on what craft he is in.

A college grad, with 10 years experience, working as a pro football player may make $10,000,000 a year.

A college grad, with 10 years experience, working as an artist may make $10,000 a year.

A college grad, with 10 years experience, working as a cop may make $50,000 a year.

A college degree has basically been cheapened. Colleges, in the name of diversity sometimes, in the name of pure money in others, have grown their enrollment drastically, and loans have allowed just about anyone to get a college degree if they want one. The market is flooded with "degrees".

And "experience" and "ability" are not the same. Also, networking is huge. It's true, not "what you know but who you know".

So hope that answers your question. He's worth whatever he can get.

He has a teaching degree with 20 years of exp. Hes taught in private schools and in public schools in the South. His major was Math and he's coached different sports.

He has a teaching degree with 20 years of exp. Hes taught in private schools and in public schools in the South. His major was Math and he's coached different sports.

He made more in the public school than in the private didn't he?

I'm not "from the right" but offhand I would say, whatever the market supports in whatever locality he's in.

yes but he had other benefits that help make up the difference, use of a car and a place to stay. He was making close to 60,000 in public ed. before he got divorced and moved north.

20K a year for everybody. You aren't part of the top 2% so you deserve nothing according to Republicans.

20K a year for everybody. You aren't part of the top 2% so you deserve nothing according to Republicans.

LinK? I know you've been asked before but you are too chikkenshit to provide it. Give it to us.

He made about 56,000 at his high pay, a little less than that when he was in the private schools but he had other benefits such as use of a car and a place to stay.

He had close to 12 years at his last job at a public school but got divorced and move out of state.

Forum List

Back