Democrats Folding????

Want to try again? :lmao:

you can laugh, I suppose, but really, is there some reason you are being selective about what the constitution provides? because last I checked, the preamble to the constitution says the government is to act for the general welfare of the people. and Article I, Section 8 provides: "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States"

Transcript of the Constitution of the United States - Official Text

Note, specifically, that the general welfare clause is incorporated into that clause which provides for taxation. that means the government can levy and spend money on things it thinks are good for society.

you're welcome, hon.

1. "... that means the government can levy and spend money on things it thinks are good for society."

a. Hamilton’s view was that this clause gave Congress the power to tax and spend for the general welfare, whatsoever they decide that might be.
It seems that you agree with Hamilton's view.

b. William Drayton, in 1828, came down on the side of Madison, Jefferson and others, pointing out that if Hamilton was correct, what point would there have been to enumerate Congresses’ other powers?
If Congress wished to do anything it was not authorized to do, it could accomplish it via taxing and spending. He said, "If Congress can determine what constitutes the general welfare and can appropriate money for its advancement, where is the limitation to carrying into execution whatever can be effected by money?" 'Charity Not a Proper Function of the American Government' by Walter E. Williams

c.The limits on federal power to legislate for the "general welfare" remains, to this date, undefined and presumably, boundless. James Madison, when asked if the "general welfare" clause was a grant of power, replied in 1792, in a letter to Henry Lee:

'If not only the means but the objects are unlimited, the parchment [the Constitution] should be thrown into the fire at once.'
Brant, Irving “The Fourth President - A Life of James Madison,” p. 257.

And, since Woodrow Wilson pretty much suggested that that is exactly what should be done with the Constitution.....

...your view, Wilson's, Hamilton's....

...makes not sense unless one is opposed to the Constitution, i.e., a Progressive.

Forum List

Back