Delta staff tell California couple they could be jailed if 2 yr old doesn't give up his seat

Admiral is right. The seat was purchased for his older son who was not on that flight because he had taken an earlier flight. The seat was not in that babys name, so he couldn't hold it. Sorry. Delta was right in this case. He bought the seat, but just like any other passenger that doesn't show up, it can be given to someone else.

If I PAID for a multiple seats I can put whoever the fuck I want in those seats. If I have tickets for 3 seats they're mine to use and Delta or any airline doesn't have a right to re-sell those seats because I paid for them. The airline doesn't and shouldn't have the right to double dip on ticket sales... You're using the seats you paid for, it doesn't matter if its an infant or your fat friend. Obviously congress needs to grab the airlines by the throats and tell them to smarten the fuck up.

Yeah the airlines ask for people's names when you purchase the tickets, but that's more for security reasons than it is for assigning a specific seat to a person. You mean to tell me that your family sits in the exact seats that were purchased instead of just sitting in any of the seats you purchased for your flight? So if your wife sits in 3B even though you purchased 3A for her and 3B for you (but you bought both) you'd throw a fit about it?

You sound like a God damn idiot.

Let me make it clear again. If the airline profits from selling seat 3B to John Doe, but John Doe doesn't show up, the airline should allow the person who paid for the seat to fill it with another person, in this case, the baby. The airline shouldn't be allowed to sell seat 3B twice and make even more money... Just no. Did Delta give a refund to the original ticket buyer? Of course not, so they have no right to re-sell that seat.

You lost that seat when your son didn't show up to sit in it! They do have the right to sell that seat. You could not be more wrong.

I normally fly Southwest and have no assigned seats, but I have flown other airlines and I know the rules, which you and this asshole obviously do not.

Don't like the rules, charter your own plane or fly private. It is your choice.

I deal with teenagers all day, and the biggest problem we have in America is self-indulgent assholes like you and this jerk who think rules don't apply to them, We are training an entire generation of new assholes.

How long have airlines been dragging people off of planes? It's never been mentioned in my lifetime. Do they train people how to drag people?

Do airlines really have no idea what even ONE of these stories does to their image? United Airlines is now associated with an unconscious man bleeding from the nose being beaten and dragged off a plane. Just a hunch but I'm betting that image has cost them millions if not tens of millions.

Why not show a plane crew throwing a pregnant woman out of the window onto the tarmac.

How long have airlines been dragging people off of planes? It's never been mentioned in my lifetime. Do they train people how to drag people?

Do airlines really have no idea what even ONE of these stories does to their image? United Airlines is now associated with an unconscious man bleeding from the nose being beaten and dragged off a plane. Just a hunch but I'm betting that image has cost them millions if not tens of millions.

Why not show a plane crew throwing a pregnant woman out of the window onto the tarmac.

A pregnant woman will not fit out of the only windows that open.

When you buy an airline ticket there is a contract and the passenger must agree to the terms of the contract.

There are many reasons that an airline can remove you from a flight.

This totally legal document is called "Contract of Carriage".
Contract of carriage - Wikipedia

A contract is a contract. Period.

A pregnant woman will not fit out of the only windows that open.

That's what makes it so agregious! She is forced to have a premie first! The horror. Evangelicals are right now coming up with a way to blame it on Planned Parenthood.

Did any of you watch the video accompanying the reports? The man was being a jerk. His older son was not on the flight. The child was checked in as a lap baby. That was no longer his seat that he claimed he for which he paid. The airline can fill that seat anyway they want.

The family deserves nothing. They do not have the right to delay a flight because they feel like being a jerk!

Admiral is right. The seat was purchased for his older son who was not on that flight because he had taken an earlier flight. The seat was not in that babys name, so he couldn't hold it. Sorry. Delta was right in this case. He bought the seat, but just like any other passenger that doesn't show up, it can be given to someone else.

If I PAID for a multiple seats I can put whoever the fuck I want in those seats. If I have tickets for 3 seats they're mine to use and Delta or any airline doesn't have a right to re-sell those seats because I paid for them. The airline doesn't and shouldn't have the right to double dip on ticket sales... You're using the seats you paid for, it doesn't matter if its an infant or your fat friend. Obviously congress needs to grab the airlines by the throats and tell them to smarten the fuck up.

Yeah the airlines ask for people's names when you purchase the tickets, but that's more for security reasons than it is for assigning a specific seat to a person. You mean to tell me that your family sits in the exact seats that were purchased instead of just sitting in any of the seats you purchased for your flight? So if your wife sits in 3B even though you purchased 3A for her and 3B for you (but you bought both) you'd throw a fit about it?

Let me make it clear again. If the airline profits from selling seat 3B to John Doe, but John Doe doesn't show up, the airline should allow the person who paid for the seat to fill it with another person, in this case, the baby. The airline shouldn't be allowed to sell seat 3B twice and make even more money... Just no. Did Delta give a refund to the original ticket buyer? Of course not, so they have no right to re-sell that seat.

You lost that seat when your son didn't show up to sit in it! They do have the right to sell that seat. You could not be more wrong.

I normally fly Southwest and have no assigned seats, but I have flown other airlines and I know the rules, which you and this asshole obviously do not.

I deal with teenagers all day, and the biggest problem we have in America is self-indulgent assholes like you and this jerk who think rules don't apply to them, We are training an entire generation of new assholes.

You are the one of the jerks I see on this thread. The family paid for that ticket and they have the right to determine who sits in it. If the airline wants that seat then they should refund the money. If they have the right to take the family's money and then make more money reselling it, that shows how screwed consumers are. Airlines lie and cheat their customers and get away with it.

The problem is that airlines are a oligopoly. They can treat their customers like dirt because consumers have nowhere to go. The airlines need to be broken up under anti-trust laws or regulated just as utilities are.

Did any of you watch the video accompanying the reports? The man was being a jerk. His older son was not on the flight. The child was checked in as a lap baby. That was no longer his seat that he claimed he for which he paid. The airline can fill that seat anyway they want.

The family deserves nothing. They do not have the right to delay a flight because they feel like being a jerk!

You are the one of the jerks I see on this thread. The family paid for that ticket and they have the right to determine who sits in it. If the airline wants that seat then they should refund the money. If they have the right to take the family's money and then make more money reselling it, that shows how screwed consumers are. Airlines lie and cheat their customers and get away with it.

The problem is that airlines are a oligopoly. They can treat their customers like dirt because consumers have nowhere to go. The airlines need to be broken up under anti-trust laws or regulated just as utilities are.

Like many of the "know-it-alls" on this message board, infesting the remainder of America, and in the media, you seriously need to learn to read the agreement you sign when you purchase the ticket. It is all spelled out for those who made it past about 3rd grade in reading.

If the people want to get a refund, they have to buy a ticket that is refundable.

I once screwed my dates on a trip to Texas, and went to check-in on-line for Delta, only to find out that my flight was leaving just about the same time as I was trying to print my ticket for the flight which I thought was the next day. Did I get a refund? Of course not! I screwed up! It was an expensive lesson, but the airline had no responsibility for my being wrong.

Nope, not the way it goes. You can pay for multiple seats all you want. It is against the rules to be on a plane if your name isn't on the manifest. The airlines are under no obligation to honor a seat you purchased if you don't have a warm body with the name on the manifest sitting in that seat.

This "god damned idiot" has more experience working with and around airliners than probably everyone else on this forum combined.

That's the way the rules are. I might sound like a "god damned idiot" but I'm also "god damned right." Sadly, it's in case the airplane crashes, they knew exactly who is on the plane. You can't have a plane full of people and you don't know who the hell is on it. After a plane crashes and burns, it becomes almost impossible to identify the bodies. If they know who is sitting where, it makes identification much easier. If they don't know who the hell is on the plane or where, they can't accomplish this gruesome task. It's ugly, but it's the truth.

Yes, of course you have a right to determine who sits in that seat, WHEN YOU PURCHASE THE TICKET. Not once you board the aircraft. He lost the right to that seat when the person he checked in as a passenger, his 13yo son, had not showed up (because he went out on another flight.) It's also not known if he used his sons ticket from that flight on an earlier one, or if he purchased an additional ticket. But either way, you can't purchase 2 seats for one person. It's the same thing as not showing up for the flight. This is why they overbook flights. That kid didn't show up so his seat was available. If you buy 5 tickets and only you shows up, there won't be 4 empty seats. They will fill them with the overbookings. This is no different. A lap baby has no right to a seat.

Look it up.

Last edited:
LOL. Really? I'd sue this airline. Did they not learn anything from United?

What makes Delta employees the police or lawyers?

On what basis are you going to sue? Can you sue because you were being an asshole and think you do not have to follow the rules you agreed to when you bought the ticket?

Threatening one with jail time and how they're kids will be taken away if they don't do what you say is considered an extreme form of harassment. Since the FA works for the airline, and since people are money hungry in American, naturally they'll sue the airline too, and probably win since the airline has deeper pockets than the FA does.

^Their son took an earlier flight, so that ticket that they paid for was used for the earlier flight. The seat was no longer theirs. It seems like a pretty simple concept...

No it wasn't, they paid for four tickets, they should of go the other tickets named changed.

Like someone posted the assigned passenger didn't show up.

Nope, not the way it goes. You can pay for multiple seats all you want. It is against the rules to be on a plane if your name isn't on the manifest. The airlines are under no obligation to honor a seat you purchased if you don't have a warm body with the name on the manifest sitting in that seat.

This "god damned idiot" has more experience working with and around airliners than probably everyone else on this forum combined.

That's the way the rules are. I might sound like a "god damned idiot" but I'm also "god damned right." Sadly, it's in case the airplane crashes, they knew exactly who is on the plane. You can't have a plane full of people and you don't know who the hell is on it. After a plane crashes and burns, it becomes almost impossible to identify the bodies. If they know who is sitting where, it makes identification much easier. If they don't know who the hell is on the plane or where, they can't accomplish this gruesome task. It's ugly, but it's the truth.

Yes, of course you have a right to determine who sits in that seat, WHEN YOU PURCHASE THE TICKET. Not once you board the aircraft. He lost the right to that seat when the person he checked in as a passenger, his 13yo son, had not showed up (because he went out on another flight.) It's also not known if he used his sons ticket from that flight on an earlier one, or if he purchased an additional ticket. But either way, you can't purchase 2 seats for one person. It's the same thing as not showing up for the flight. This is why they overbook flights. That kid didn't show up so his seat was available. If you buy 5 tickets and only you shows up, there won't be 4 empty seats. They will fill them with the overbookings. This is no different. A lap baby has no right to a seat.

Look it up.

No kidding they could of put someone on the no fly list in that seat

Or someone named Osama Bin laden Jr.

I saw this talked about tonight on Inside Edition. If the family did not get their money back at least then may Delta be the next airline to take a nose dive. They are already in the dog house for kicking that one man off their flight for not being able to hold his wee any longer.

God bless you and him and the Schear family always!!!

Holly
Do you think bill o'reilly will get his job back at Inside Edition?

On what basis are you going to sue? Can you sue because you were being an asshole and think you do not have to follow the rules you agreed to when you bought the ticket?

Threatening one with jail time and how they're kids will be taken away if they don't do what you say is considered an extreme form of harassment. Since the FA works for the airline, and since people are money hungry in American, naturally they'll sue the airline too, and probably win since the airline has deeper pockets than the FA does.

Disrupting a flight is a Federal offense. What about that was incorrect? The truth is not harassment.

I saw this talked about tonight on Inside Edition. If the family did not get their money back at least then may Delta be the next airline to take a nose dive. They are already in the dog house for kicking that one man off their flight for not being able to hold his wee any longer.

God bless you and him and the Schear family always!!!

Holly
Do you think bill o'reilly will get his job back at Inside Edition?
I don't know. Even if his job was given back to him, would he still want it? He's been out there for 20 years if not more. Retirement could be on his mind at anytime.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Disrupting a flight is a Federal offense. What about that was incorrect? The truth is not harassment.

And you sat here and talked about know-it-alls, lol.

"Accordingly, the FAA can impose civil penalties (fines) for interfering with a crewmember who is performing official duties aboard an aircraft that is being operated." (49 U.S.C. § 46318.) maximum fine is $25,000.

Interfering With a Flight Attendant or Crewmember | Criminal Law

Indeed you are incorrect sir. Please try again.

I don't blame the parents for not wanting to give up the kids seat. That plane hits Turbulence that kid is going to be airborne if he's sitting on his parents lap. What I don't understand other than the concept of having to give up a seat you paid for and are already in is who gets to decide who's the more important passenger? Apparently Delta didn't feel it was the kid. Doesn't say much for Delta.

Then there's the threat of losing their child to foster care. Delta employee's should be fired for using Gestapo tactic's.
FTR I would think the Department of Children and Families would be more upset if the kids wasn't belted in. You get in big trouble if that kid isn't strapped into a car seat while you're driving, why would a plane be any different?

I don't blame the parents for not wanting to give up the kids seat. That plane hits Turbulence that kid is going to be airborne if he's sitting on his parents lap. What I don't understand other than the concept of having to give up a seat you paid for and are already in is who gets to decide who's the more important passenger? Apparently Delta didn't feel it was the kid. Doesn't say much for Delta.

Then there's the threat of losing their child to foster care. Delta employee's should be fired for using Gestapo tactic's.
FTR I would think the Department of Children and Families would be more upset if the kids wasn't belted in. You get in big trouble if that kid isn't strapped into a car seat while you're driving, why would a plane be any different?

Airlines should just add to the FAA child policy and state that every child has to be buckled in or in a booster seat. When you do that, the child now has a ticket with their name on it. Problem solved.

Nobody is going to give up extra seats that they, passenger paid for, especially when they showed up for the flight and want to utilize it. It's pretty fucking stupid that there needs to be individual names for tickets instead of just having all of the tickets be placed under one name.

"Accordingly, the FAA can impose civil penalties (fines) for interfering with a crewmember who is performing official duties aboard an aircraft that is being operated." (49 U.S.C. § 46318.) maximum fine is $25,000.

So please explain how I am wrong if you just proved me right. Did you not read your own website for which you provided a link?

So please explain how I am wrong if you just proved me right. Did you not read your own website for which you provided a link?

Smart one, do you not know the difference between a civil wrong and a criminal wrong?

Do I have to teach you the difference...?

Airlines should just add to the FAA child policy and state that every child has to be buckled in or in a booster seat. When you do that, the child now has a ticket with their name on it. Problem solved.

Nobody is going to give up extra seats that they, passenger paid for, especially when they showed up for the flight and want to utilize it. It's pretty fucking stupid that there needs to be individual names for tickets instead of just having all of the tickets be placed under one name.
The whole overbooking thing is ridiculous. If the seat is bought and paid for there is no reason why anyone should be kicked off a flight in favor of another person. What other industry does this? In the computer age it should be easier to track how many seats are filled. If I buy a concert ticket it says I've bought seat 32 row 7 on 6-7-17 6:00 pm, my name doesn't need to be on it,the ticket is it's own proof that is my seat. This man bought the ticket and a member of his family was sitting in that seat, I agree, to require anything more is stupid.

Forum List

Back