Deficit shrinking faster than any time since WWII

he made a deal to extend them [tax cuts]

"The president then added: “You don’t raise taxes in a recession. We haven’t raised taxes in a recession… we have not proposed a tax hike for the wealthy that would take effect in the middle of a recession… The last thing you want to do is to raise taxes in the middle of a recession.”

Obozo is 100% confused about economics like any liberal.

Settle down big boy!

The way to get others to come around to your point of view is not through confrontation but by asking pertinent questions of them w/o the usual polarizing talking points coming up.

It is much more difficult, I of all ppl know.

Actually, it's the Bush tax cuts that caused the mess. Remember, they are years old. It's what Obama has done since Republicans tried to destroy the economy and turn over government to big business.

Yeah, he extended the Bush tax cuts...
:lol:
He did indeed go along with extending them. With a repub house and a non filibuster proof senate, he made a deal to extend them in exchange for extending unemployment. Does not indicate that he or anyone wanted to do so. As you know, and would admit if you were honest. Instead of a mindless follower of the con dogma.

Those things passed with a Democratic House and a near filibuster proof Senate and were signed by Obama.
Fail.

"The president then added: “You don’t raise taxes in a recession. We haven’t raised taxes in a recession… we have not proposed a tax hike for the wealthy that would take effect in the middle of a recession… The last thing you want to do is to raise taxes in the middle of a recession.”

Settle down big boy!

The way to get others to come around to your point of view is not through confrontation but by asking pertinent questions of them w/o the usual polarizing talking points coming up.

It is much more difficult, I of all ppl know.

when in history has the con approch EVER produced what you always claim it will produce.

someday you will have to face facts that your ideas are historically failed ideas

Great! That means the Bush Tax cuts are working and that we don't need to increase taxes on anyone!

Thanks dean!

Actually, it's the Bush tax cuts that caused the mess. Remember, they are years old. It's what Obama has done since Republicans tried to destroy the economy and turn over government to big business.

Yeah, he extended the Bush tax cuts...
:lol:

Any one familiar with my posts knew how angry I was about that.

That was not the reason.

Obama stupidly thought conceding to republicans would set a good tone with them.

How fucking wrong can you be.

They didn't want to work with him..they wanted him out.

From the OP's link: "In fact, outside of that post-WWII era, the only time the deficit has fallen faster was when the economy relapsed in 1937, turning the Great Depression into a decade-long affair."

Last edited:
when in history has the con approch EVER produced what you always claim it will produce.

someday you will have to face facts that your ideas are historically failed ideas

dear, China just switched to Republican capitalism and everyone is getting rich whereas under liberalism 50 million slowly starved to death.

is saving 50 million from a slow en masse starvation a historicially failed idea?????

See why we are positive a liberal will be a 100% brain dead air head??

WEBcaphill01_1120_600.gif.cms

From fiscal 2009 to fiscal 2012, the deficit shrank 3.1 percentage points, from 10.1% to 7.0% of GDP.
That's just a bit faster than the 3.0 percentage point deficit improvement from 1995 to '98, but at that point, the economy had everything going for it.
Other occasions when the federal deficit contracted by much more than 1 percentage point a year have coincided with recession. Some examples include 1937, 1960 and 1969.

TARP and the bailouts of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac also make the deficit improvement look better, boosting the fiscal '09 deficit by about $200 billion more than in fiscal '12 (though the initial cost of TARP was overstated).
Still, military spending is now on the decline due to fewer troops in Iraq and Afghanistan; Medicare costs rose 3% last year vs. the average 7% growth in recent years; and after the last year's Budget Control Act, excluding the automatic cuts set to take effect in January, nondefense discretionary spending is already on a path to shrink to 2.7% of GDP, well below the 3.9% average, notes the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

U.S. Deficit Shrinking At Fastest Pace Since WWII, Before Fiscal Cliff - Investors.com

Republicans were wrong about Romney, wrong about economics, wrong about health care, wrong about Iraq, wrong. Just "wrong". Notice the line at the far right. Every line above zero is the deficit shrinking. I wonder who was in office the years when the deficit was shrinking?

Better yet, after the health care bill goes into full effect, only 19 million won't be covered and a third of them are illegal immigrants. The CBO says we will see major savings after 20 years.

This information is coming from "Investor's Business Daily", not some extreme site. But you can bet, because this information isn't showing up on Fox, these USMB right wingers will call it all "lies". At least we all know they have no proof that says otherwise. Except what comes from the Heritage Foundation, a group that is always wrong. There goes that word again:

41GbtArneBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

From fiscal 2009 to fiscal 2012, the deficit shrank 3.1 percentage points, from 10.1% to 7.0% of GDP.

Now we're supposed to celebrate a 7.0% deficit? LOL!
Talk about lowering the bar.

That's just a bit faster than the 3.0 percentage point deficit improvement from 1995 to '98, but at that point, the economy had everything going for it.
Other occasions when the federal deficit contracted by much more than 1 percentage point a year have coincided with recession. Some examples include 1937, 1960 and 1969.

TARP and the bailouts of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac also make the deficit improvement look better, boosting the fiscal '09 deficit by about $200 billion more than in fiscal '12 (though the initial cost of TARP was overstated).
Still, military spending is now on the decline due to fewer troops in Iraq and Afghanistan; Medicare costs rose 3% last year vs. the average 7% growth in recent years; and after the last year's Budget Control Act, excluding the automatic cuts set to take effect in January, nondefense discretionary spending is already on a path to shrink to 2.7% of GDP, well below the 3.9% average, notes the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

U.S. Deficit Shrinking At Fastest Pace Since WWII, Before Fiscal Cliff - Investors.com

Republicans were wrong about Romney, wrong about economics, wrong about health care, wrong about Iraq, wrong. Just "wrong". Notice the line at the far right. Every line above zero is the deficit shrinking. I wonder who was in office the years when the deficit was shrinking?

Better yet, after the health care bill goes into full effect, only 19 million won't be covered and a third of them are illegal immigrants. The CBO says we will see major savings after 20 years.

This information is coming from "Investor's Business Daily", not some extreme site. But you can bet, because this information isn't showing up on Fox, these USMB right wingers will call it all "lies". At least we all know they have no proof that says otherwise. Except what comes from the Heritage Foundation, a group that is always wrong. There goes that word again:

41GbtArneBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

No we are not Todd, we are supposed to see the trend.

Too big of a cut in expenditures or increase in taxes is bad for stability. Leads to mistrust and a further falling dollar.

Still though, wanna talk about the Corps of Engineers budget? I would love to cut it some.

Incredibly stupid poster making incredibly stupid post.

Too big of a cut in expenditures or increase in taxes is bad for stability. Leads to mistrust and a further falling dollar.

Still though, wanna talk about the Corps of Engineers budget? I would love to cut it some.

Why would a big cut in spending cause the dollar to fall?

Because suddenly we woukd not have a military, would be seen as being in panic mode, or would have xx% unemployment.

I am not against spending cuts or tax inceases. Just all things in moderation.

Because suddenly we woukd not have a military, would be seen as being in panic mode, or would have xx% unemployment.

Because suddenly we woukd not have a military

We can cut spending back to 2007 levels and still have a military.

So why would that cause the dollar to fall?

Because suddenly we woukd not have a military

We can cut spending back to 2007 levels and still have a military.

So why would that cause the dollar to fall?

yeah, my words were a little strong, we would still have a military. That Who song is quite the thing BTW. I'm pretty gung-ho standing military so any reduction gets my attention but I am aware of the Eisenhower speech also.

So this year we more or less spent 902 billion on the military/foreign aid.

In 07 we spent 621 billion or so. (I don't totally trust my source) but then again no two seem to agree exactly but the ratio is similar.

OK, reduce spending to 71% its current level...

US Federal Budget FY13 Estimated Spending Breakdown - Pie Chart

Obama's military budget has been relatively flat and folks were trying to beat him up on it in the election. I am concerned we are going broke/in debt also.

This is a scary world we live in but you're right, we hopefully don't need as much of a standing army. I don't want to go all "The Who" hippie peace dreamin though as much as I listen to them and Jefferson Airplane and even better, CCR.

Man, can we drop military spending by only 3% next year? That is a 30 billion dollar cut.

This is a scary world we live in but you're right, we hopefully don't need as much of a standing army.

actually we could not take and hold Iraq so perhaps doubling it would be more appropriate.

Interesting. In what sense did we not hold it?

Do you want a larger or smaller military?

they kept blowing up our troops to the bitter end- remember?
a bigger military seems reasonable since all countries get conquered eventually and since thanks to liberals we are declining a very big military seems really in order.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is the tax cuts raised the deficit and marginally helped the economy. Same theory as the slow stimulus. The construction company next to us is STILL installing solar panels.

In this world of percentages I am always wondering if the xxxx lowered unemployment by x.x% and then what percentage of my taxes are going to pay the Reagan debt.

They didn't help the economy at all, quite the opposite. They created a housing bubble.

:wtf:

You should just not post in this sub topic anymore.

Forum List

Back