Defamation: Spreading false rumors online can lead to BIG trouble.

Ever read the rants and raves in Craigslist when bored? How about Yelp? Talk about slander and defamation. But it is still alive and well.
Of course it is. That's why laws are set up. When people are given the opportunity to police themselves they always fail.

Laws may be set up, but most don't get very far on an online defamation lawsuit. Gotta have "clean hands" yerself and most don't. So it's tossed out.

I feel so left out. No alerts, no pms, no secret hidey holes to plot and plan.

:spinner:
No? Never heard if such a thing? Pretty sure you melted down about someone else having said hidey holes in the past. Interesting.
Oh yeah, I used to be in the loop and was actually in that hidey hole for a while. Actually, two hidey holes. Stupid shit so I bailed. But that was then. This is now. No meltdown on my end either. Some just can't handle the truth. :lol:
Depends on if the truth you tout is actually the "truth" I would imagine.

I don't know which is more stupid....threatening a lawsuit over message board crap, or puffing up ones chest and thumping it to meet the person for fisticuffs. Both are idiotic in my opinion. But entertaining to watch.

Laws may be set up, but most don't get very far on an online defamation lawsuit. Gotta have "clean hands" yerself and most don't. So it's tossed out.
Depends on what you mean by clean hands.

I feel so left out. No alerts, no pms, no secret hidey holes to plot and plan.

:spinner:
No? Never heard if such a thing? Pretty sure you melted down about someone else having said hidey holes in the past. Interesting.
Oh yeah, I used to be in the loop and was actually in that hidey hole for a while. Actually, two hidey holes. Stupid shit so I bailed. But that was then. This is now. No meltdown on my end either. Some just can't handle the truth. :lol:
Depends on if the truth you tout is actually the "truth" I would imagine.
Agreed.

I don't know which is more stupid....threatening a lawsuit over message board crap, or puffing up ones chest and thumping it to meet the person for fisticuffs. Both are idiotic in my opinion. But entertaining to watch.
Lawsuits have been threatened before. Why do you think the flame zone is hidden and for members only?

Long story, short synopsis: Dude online sued another dude online for slander and defamation. Went to court. Lost. Why? Because judge saw ALL that went down that started the battle to begin with and how it progressed. Dude suing did just as bad as the one that slandered him. Judge tossed it out and said "your hands are no cleaner than the guy you are wanting to sue. Both of you are guilty of taking up my time". End of story.

Lawsuits have been threatened before. Why do you think the flame zone is hidden and for members only?
Maybe because the owners don't want lurkers thinking about joining seeing the dorks that live here?

Long story, short synopsis: Dude online sued another dude online for slander and defamation. Went to court. Lost. Why? Because judge saw ALL that went down that started the battle to begin with and how it progressed. Dude suing did just as bad as the one that slandered him. Judge tossed it out and said "your hands are no cleaner than the guy you are wanting to sue. Both of you are guilty of taking up my time". End of story.
That's one case. Doesn't apply to all.

Maybe because the owners don't want lurkers thinking about joining seeing the dorks that live here?
That too no doubt.

Defamation all hinges on showing how the defamation cost you money. If the hit to reputation kept you from getting a job (and you can prove that it was the defamation and not something else) or something like that, you can win a defamation suit. But if you didn't suffer financially because of it, it's hard to win in court.

This is incorrect. You most certainly can, especially if it caused emotional suffering.
Or if it crossed two or more different venues.

Defamation all hinges on showing how the defamation cost you money. If the hit to reputation kept you from getting a job (and you can prove that it was the defamation and not something else) or something like that, you can win a defamation suit. But if you didn't suffer financially because of it, it's hard to win in court.

This is incorrect. You most certainly can, especially if it caused emotional suffering.

Can sue for anything. Whether you're likely to win is another question.
Then again the more an individual is caught in the act of perpetrating illegal cyber activity ... the charges go up from a misdemeanor to a felony.

So maybe they will think twice before doing it again in the future.

Cyberstalking is a fourth degree felony in some states. Just prove pattern of conduct involving 2 or more incidents directly or through third parties ...of monitoring, following or threatening.

They are starting to crack down on internet crimes.

This. Laws very from state to state. The laws are changing to reflect changing technologies. An online threat, if dreamed credible could result in jail time.

when one takes trolls so seriously that they consider court action...then they need to step away...simple as that.....do you really think the net is productive in any way....or perhaps i should say ...message boards..what does one get from chatting on a message board....entertainment at best.....people are putting way too much into threads on a message
pussies on the net

30le780.gif
Yeah . They usually fight in packs and with email alerts for help.

what the hell are you going on about.....now you are paranoid......packs and email alerts....wtf.....you really need to step away or simply realize you are too invested in this mess
Not invested in anything. Just pointing out that there is a reason cyberstalking laws were created

yes there is a reason...cyber pussies like you and mad

but i digress you are saying there are packs and email alerts...do go on...who are these packs and where do i get these email alerts that you seem to be so sure of.....till you are called on it

This isn't the fz. Please keep the stupid out if this thread, thanks.

Cyberstalking is a fourth degree felony in some states. Just prove pattern of conduct involving 2 or more incidents directly or through third parties ...of monitoring, following or threatening.

This. Laws very from state to state. The laws are changing to reflect changing technologies. An online threat, if dreamed credible could result in jail time.
Yep. My state actually added chat rooms and social media in 2009 to the stalking laws already in place. I'm sure others have as well.

Yep. My state actually added chat rooms and social media in 2009 to the stalking laws already in place. I'm sure others have as well.

Never! The internet is a safe haven for stalkers.

Never! The internet is a safe haven for stalkers.
Apparently one of the colleges here was having issues of this nature with students so they pushed for the stalking laws to be modified.

Forum List

Back