DECEMBER 21, 2011 4:00 A.M. The House, Harry Reid, and the Payroll Tax

Today, we all saw the pub rep refuse to allow DEM Steny Hoyer to debate/discuss the payroll tax cut and then, ONE HOUR LATER, there's the National Orange Golf Pro on camera, saying 'We're here, ready to work. Where's the Dems'.

Its always a game to the pubs. They want to look like they actually DO something but they don't.

Remember when McCain pushed through the shorter work day and actually interrupted a committee that was working for answers for homeless vets. Fuck the vets. All McCain wanted was more pay for fewer hours and that's what he got.

It really does loo like they've gone too far this time. Fewer and fewer people are falling for it.

...instead they are falling for an idiotic 2 month extension......:lol:

All part of the nauseating game the pubs play ...

the Dems want a year so the pubs say "MAYBE 2 months".

The DEMS say, "oh all right" so the pubs say "a year".

the DEMS say, "Let's discuss and debate" so the pubs pound the gavel and all leave.

Then the orange guy comes back from the golf course, calls all the cameras around close and actually has the nerve to say, 'we're here, ready to work'.

They'll keep playing this game - right up to New Year's Eve because, for them, its always about manufactured crises.

And, they can do it because $60-$80 a month is nothing to them. Boehner drops that much on greens fees several times a week. For some people, its the difference between buying food or rent.

But, hey - that doesn't matter to the pubs and bags. And the voters know it.

what's the black guy doing?

Today, we all saw the pub rep refuse to allow DEM Steny Hoyer to debate/discuss the payroll tax cut and then, ONE HOUR LATER, there's the National Orange Golf Pro on camera, saying 'We're here, ready to work. Where's the Dems'.

Its always a game to the pubs. They want to look like they actually DO something but they don't.

Remember when McCain pushed through the shorter work day and actually interrupted a committee that was working for answers for homeless vets. Fuck the vets. All McCain wanted was more pay for fewer hours and that's what he got.

It really does loo like they've gone too far this time. Fewer and fewer people are falling for it.

the DEMS say, "Let's discuss and debate" so the pubs pound the gavel and all leave.

Then the orange guy comes back from the golf course, calls all the cameras around close and actually has the nerve to say, 'we're here, ready to work'.

They'll keep playing this game - right up to New Year's Eve because, for them, its always about manufactured crises.

And, they can do it because $60-$80 a month is nothing to them. Boehner drops that much on greens fees several times a week. For some people, its the difference between buying food or rent.

the "orange guy"....? maybe he's orange because he needs his tan out of a bottle....because he isn't out playing golf everyday like you know who....

frankly if they continue to be at loggerheads that may be a good thing.....it will showcase Obama for being the ineffective President he really is....

Today the House voted to reject a Senate plan for temporarily extending the payroll-tax cut and subsequently moved to recess, and they deserve credit for doing so.

This move does not eliminate the possibility of extending the tax cut, which expires at the end of December: The House previously passed a bill extending the cut for a full year, and that bill is good policy. It doesn’t increase the deficit. It forces a decision on the Keystone XL pipeline. And it’s President Obama’s major year-end priority. So why is the Democratic Senate blocking the bill’s path between Capitol Hill and the White House signing desk, and pushing the bill the House rejected instead?

Because Harry Reid doesn’t like how the House version is paid for. Having failed — not once, but multiple times — to offset the payroll-rate cut with a new surtax on job creators, Senate Democrats were forced to huddle with Republicans to find common ground. What they came up with were enough offsets to fund a 60-day extension, mostly via increased fees on Fannie and Freddie. (This makes a certain amount of sense: Republicans abhor the government-sponsored enterprises, Democrats adore fees.)

The Senate plan, then, was to pass the temporary extension, send it back to the House, and enjoy a lengthy Christmas holiday. The New Year, they seem to believe, will bring with it fresh opportunities to kick the can down the road. But the 60-day extension is both irresponsible and unworkable, and House Republicans were right to hold the line against it, even if it keeps Congress in Washington through these holy nigh

The House, Harry Reid, and the Payroll Tax - The Editors - National Review Online

so the demoncrats were gonna soak the poor old middle class homeowners? :lol:

The GOP should have been more careful here. The GOP policy is OK but appearances will politically favor the Donks. A one year extension (of the payroll tax cut) is certainly more desirable then the 2 month extension but only because the latter would be very difficult to deploy, if not impossible for many businesses. However, both will fail to encourage hiring simply because both are of a short term nature and employers are not going to hire another worker for a 1 year tax benefit, let alone one involving only 2 months. As it stands now, the Donks will say "we all agreed to this tax cut, but now the GOP has reneged on the agreement". The best the House GOP can do is to try to inform the public that the Dems are playing games by refusing the compromises in the conference process. Which do you think will be a simpler and easier sale to the public? Again the GOP gets punked... by itself. McConnell and Lugar, among others should be primaried.

The House GOP should just pass the Senate version, lick their wounds and make sure that in 60 days we have another deal where the Dems have to pass cuts or something else distasteful to the Donks. Maybe the GOP could even try to defund part of Obamacare next time...like they freakin promised in the 2010's. If the GOP were smart they could simply call the Dems bluff here: Have the GOP House pass a permanent payroll tax cut (involving the employer's contribution too) and dare the Dems to reject it. In addition to being a bill that could actually encourage hiring, this has the added benefit of moving the date of insolvency of Social Security up, thereby pressuring the Donks to cave on entitlement reform at an even earlier date. When the Donks help pass that, the GOP candidates are immediately inoculated from the Donks inevitable campaign crap about trying to get rid of SS since those Donks, so voting, can then be perceived as voting for the defunding of SS while the GOP can claim the saving of entitlements by amending the Ryan/Wyden Plan and pass that also. The GOP needs to stop being nice to leftists who have, and continue to, screw them over.

JM

Oh so you think Keystone and jobs and spending cuts aren't good attachments??

Why should there be any attachments?

Why not. Its a game both sides play. IMHO this is one good attachment.

The Keystone pipeline has been investigated for 3 years. The Gov of the State is on board and it will provide jobs.

Barry was going to hold off until 2013 to decide on it. Of course he's pandering to the enviro crowd. Those lovely folks pretty much told him they wouldn't support him in 2012 if the pipeline went through.

The Unions on the other hand are pushing for it because of the jobs it will privide.

Catch 22 for Barry. Should he pander to the Unions or Enviro crowd??

Jobs are a pretty good attachment in my book.

Which is why he is putting of deciding; this way he figures he'll get both groups vote.

Getting re-elected trumps jobs.

Why should there be any attachments?

The Keystone pipeline has been investigated for 3 years. The Gov of the State is on board and it will provide jobs.

Barry was going to hold off until 2013 to decide on it. Of course he's pandering to the enviro crowd. Those lovely folks pretty much told him they wouldn't support him in 2012 if the pipeline went through.

The Unions on the other hand are pushing for it because of the jobs it will privide.

Which is why he is putting of deciding; this way he figures he'll get both groups vote.

And so he can blame others.

And so he can blame others.

Oh, that's a given!

He's in DC, no vacation - which is what the petty little pubs wanted.

More to the point, what are the useless pubs and bags doing?

Many have left on vacation because they really don't give a large mouse's behind what happens to the working class.

Why is that?

Because they work for the 1%.

"YOU" can criticize the prez all you want but he's the one whose policies have produced and/or saved in excess of 3 million jobs.

I'll ask again -

WHAT THE FUCK HAVE THE PUBS AND BAGS DONE?

NOTHING.

Many have left on vacation because they really don't give a large mouse's behind what happens to the working class.

Why is that?

"YOU" can criticize the prez all you want but he's the one whose policies have produced and/or saved in excess of 3 million jobs.

I'll ask again -

NOTHING.

au contraire....

the pubs have given BO the payroll tax cut he wanted.....they even extended it from 2 months to a WHOLE YEAR.....:lol:

Why is that?

I'll ask again -

NOTHING.

au contraire....

the pubs have given BO the payroll tax cut he wanted.....they even extended it from 2 months to a WHOLE YEAR.....:lol:
Dingy Harry Reid balked and chose to play more partisan games. And this should be held around the necks of he and the Senate.

Why is that?

I'll ask again -

NOTHING.

If they didn't care about the middle class why did they fight for a One YEar deal instead of two months?? and they fought for 20 thousand jobs. Explain that whydonchya?

They BOTH want a year. It's just that the Republican measure came with strings attached. How do figure that won't backfire on them? They don't have a good record of making those kinds of plays/ploys work.

They're attachments. Never did like omnibus bills. That's how you get a lot of the crap everybody complains about. Whether or not they're good, it's still a ploy. If the Reps are going to play games, don't expect the Dems to go along.

Democrats are the ones playing games. THIS IS QUITE EASY TO PROVE.

They're attachments. Never did like omnibus bills. That's how you get a lot of the crap everybody complains about. Whether or not they're good, it's still a ploy. If the Reps are going to play games, don't expect the Dems to go along.

Democrats are the ones playing games. THIS IS QUITE EASY TO PROVE.
Very easy. A few have alluded to it...

Two-Month Payroll Tax Holiday Passed By Senate, Pushed By President, Cannot Be Implemented Properly, Experts Say
Officials from the policy-neutral National Payroll Reporting Consortium, Inc. have expressed concern to members of Congress that the two-month payroll tax holiday passed by the Senate and supported by President Obama cannot be implemented properly.

Pete Isberg, president of the NPRC today wrote to the key leaders of the relevant committees of the House and Senate, telling them that “insufficient lead time” to implement the complicated change mandated by the legislation means the two-month payroll tax holiday “could create substantial problems, confusion and costs affecting a significant percentage of U.S. employers and employees.”

I am confused here.
Obama wanted the extension for twelve months, the House wanted the same thing.
Why does the Senate only want two months?

Obama is wanting to work with the Rep majority House, but the Dem Senate doesn't want to work with Obama?

:confused:

I am confused here.
Obama wanted the extension for twelve months, the House wanted the same thing.
Why does the Senate only want two months?

Obama is wanting to work with the Rep majority House, but the Dem Senate doesn't want to work with Obama?

:confused:

obie doodle ain't in Hawaii yet... snicker..

Hey! Bern.. I built my home. It was paid for the day I moved in. Now what do you think of my critical thinking skills. I eagerly await your response.

Considering I am actually an objective, logical thinking person, I really can't conclude anything about your critical thinking skills based merely on the fact that you built a house.

Of course a year is better, but a year extension with no attachments. Thats not too much to ask, is it?

so how is creating well over a 100,000 jobs not going to help the middle class........?

i'd say that is a good bargain....

Again, why must that be attached to middle class tax cuts? Answer, it doesn't unless you know you can't get the votes for it and are willing to hold tax cuts hostage to get it passed. I'm glad you think bargaining with the tax cuts of middle class americans is acceptable. It shows what really matters to you....and its not the middle class.
It looks like you're willing to screw the middle class by increasing taxes and blocking the creation of new jobs.

Good Democrat.

so how is creating well over a 100,000 jobs not going to help the middle class........?

i'd say that is a good bargain....

Again, why must that be attached to middle class tax cuts? Answer, it doesn't unless you know you can't get the votes for it and are willing to hold tax cuts hostage to get it passed. I'm glad you think bargaining with the tax cuts of middle class americans is acceptable. It shows what really matters to you....and its not the middle class.
It looks like you're willing to screw the middle class by increasing taxes and blocking the creation of new jobs.

Good Democrat.
And note the 'class' reference?

Hey! Bern.. I built my home. It was paid for the day I moved in. Now what do you think of my critical thinking skills. I eagerly await your response.

Considering I am actually an objective, logical thinking person, I really can't conclude anything about your critical thinking skills based merely on the fact that you built a house.

No one much gives a shit about what ewe can or cannot conclude. Rest easy dude,, you'll get your thousand dollars.. you'll get it.

Forum List

Back