Debt, deficits and demagoguery

• Banned
I suppose asking a bit of reading before posting opinions is a bit over the top for many. Better to keep posting partisan propaganda than engaging in read problem ID and offering possible solutions. A sampling of the theads on page one is a great indiction of the stupidity and or willful ignorance of too many who post here.

First, read the link below:

US Debt - Definition of the US National Debt - How the US Debt Affects the US Economy

Next, post your opinion on who is to blame (very briefly).

Then, offer a plan on how the problem facing our nation might be fixed.

This thread is closed to idiotgram; some thought is required.

1) To quote a line from Full Metal Jacket "Its a giant shit sandwich, and we are all going to have to take a bite"

The blame really cannot be placed on a person, it has to be placed on a concept. The concept is that the government first figurres on what it wants to spend money on, then comes up with a way of funding it, either via taxes or borrowing. Add in the concept of automatic increases to budget items, regardless of need, and you have ever increasing budgets, where the money needed to pay for this becomes an afterthought.

2) To fix this we have to determine what we want the federal government to spend money on, and how to do it. To people like me, the federal government is doing things it was never intended to do. Education policy is a good example. Education is implemented at the local level, and controlled at the state level. Why do we need a third tier? If we want to get rid of federalism we should just eliminate the state agencies and let the feds take it over, not keep duplicating tasks up the line.

I suppose asking a bit of reading before posting opinions is a bit over the top for many. Better to keep posting partisan propaganda than engaging in read problem ID and offering possible solutions. A sampling of the theads on page one is a great indiction of the stupidity and or willful ignorance of too many who post here.

Just a quibble on procedure, this is not a Real Time Debate, calling people out for not responding in 1/2 an hour on a leave a post message board is intellectually dishonest.

Or maybe people have better things to do with their time on this form, than to fall for a fake call to debate from the board's leading sociopathic partisan hack.

• Banned

US Debt - Definition of the US National Debt - How the US Debt Affects the US Economy

Congress controls spending so they are to blame.

That's both obvious and not very insightful. Is the TP the solution? At what cost and to whom?

• Banned

Just a quibble on procedure, this is not a Real Time Debate, calling people out for not responding in 1/2 an hour on a leave a post message board is intellectually dishonest.

Okay. I was raised Catholic; using shame and guilt is part of my makeup, something I know and sometimes forget to leave behind.

I'm off to CostCo with the Mrs. I will check in later and look forward to some insight from others. Your first post was what I'd hoped to read and consider. Odd-dudes is what I expected.

Last edited:
Or maybe people have better things to do with their time on this form, than to fall for a fake call to debate from the board's leading sociopathic partisan hack.

Idiotgrams are banned from this thead. Please go away and do not return.

That's both obvious and not very insightful. Is the TP the solution? At what cost and to whom?

Well, you're right. I didn't read step #3. The Tea Party is part of the solution. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be talking about deficit spending now. Basically, we the people need to make sure members of Congress do their jobs. Unfortunately, most people think that their Congressman's job is to bring money home to their State. We've got to change that. But first and foremost, no more deficit spending. The cost will be high for everyone, but it has to start now. (It may already be too late. Hopefully not.)

they cant even get the definition of Democracy right

trollingorreallystupid.jpg

Well, you're right. I didn't read step #3. The Tea Party is part of the solution. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be talking about deficit spending now. Basically, we the people need to make sure members of Congress do their jobs. Unfortunately, most people think that their Congressman's job is to bring money home to their State. We've got to change that. But first and foremost, no more deficit spending. The cost will be high for everyone, but it has to start now. (It may already be too late. Hopefully not.)

Good start. The problem is deficit spending; now the hard part. What is necessary and what is not? And even if a budget is balanced (a big IF) how do we reduce the debt?

Last edited:

Good start. The problem is deficit spending; now the hard part. What is necessary and what is not? And even if a budget is balanced (a big IF) how do we reduce the debt?

That is the right question but the problem is making up the laundry list of things that are preventing solution:

Full employment as measured by the peak of bell curve of monthly UE over the past 60 years is 5.8% and edging up. The official full employment is 4% (set in law in 1946), the unofficial figure actually used is 5.6% and policy is set to run a surplus at about 5.6%. That figure has to be raised and policies changed to run a surplus at around 7+%.

Entitlement eligibility must be indexed to life expectancy as one of the policy changes.

Those are just the two biggies with lots of little problems all over the place.

Who is responsible?

Politicians. (I hope that was brief enough for you. Not sure I can get it down to less than one word. It is probably way too partisan for your worldview as you want to blame one party, preferably one person. Tough shit.)

The solution is also simple, stop playing politics and get down to some real work at reducing spending, simplifying the tax code, increasing the tax base, reducing the power of the government to shape policy through taxes, cutting spending across the board, reforming entitlement programs, and raising taxes across the board so that everyone has a share in the burden of the government.

Last edited:

You call out Oddball for violating your rules and ignore Truthmatters for doing it before he did. Perhaps you should ban yourself from the thread. Personally I would accept an admission that you are a partisan hack that is actually incapable of informed and reasoned debate, but I think you are incapbable of even admitting that simple truth.

You call out Oddball for violating your rules and ignore Truthmatters for doing it before he did. Perhaps you should ban yourself from the thread. Personally I would accept an admission that you are a partisan hack that is actually incapable of informed and reasoned debate, but I think you are incapbable of even admitting that simple truth.

That maybe true. I don't recall and haven't reviewed Truthmatters post until now; the fact remains Oddball (Odd-dude) has never (and I've read many of his posts) contrbuted anything except bullshit.
I guess you defend him because you are the partisan hack you characterize me as being. Rather than attack me, post something of substance, if you can.

Last edited:
"You call out Oddball for violating your rules and ignore Truthmatters for doing it before he did. Perhaps you should ban yourself from the thread. Personally I would accept an admission that you are a partisan hack that is actually incapable of informed and reasoned debate, but I think you are incapbable of even admitting that simple truth."

"That maybe true. I don't recall and haven't reviewed Truthmatters post until now; the fact remains Oddball (Odd-dude) has never (and I've read many of his posts) contrbuted anything except bullshit.
I guess you defend him because you are the partisan hack you characterize me as being. Rather than attack me, post something of substance, if you can."

Read the link on the OP, it is very simple even a conservative will understand, and respond.

Forum List

Back