Sure Doesn't Feel Like Victory To Me....

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "Yes, we know, $39 billion in spending cuts for 2011 is less than the $61 billion passed by the House and shrinks the overall federal budget by only a little more than 1%. The compromise also doesn't repeal ObamaCare, kill the EPA's anticarbon rules, defund Planned Parenthood, reform the entitlement state, or part the Red Sea.

On the other hand, the Obama-Pelosi Leviathan wasn't built in a day, and it won't be cut down to size in one budget."
Review & Outlook: The Tea Party's First Victory - WSJ.com

If this past election was to bring in the fellas who would right the economic woes, I would have thought they'd have gone after the worst budget-buster first....ObamaCare.

2. Two new entitlements, plus a big Medicaid expansion, are created to reduce the number of uninsured, at a cost of at least $2.3 trillion- that’s TRILLIONS- over the first ten years of full implementation.

Why so much more than 'Honest Barack' says?

Because millions more will leave and lose healthcare insurance and move to government subsidized insurance. Proof?

Sure:

3. Shortly after Obamacare was signed into law, AT&T, Caterpillar, John Deere, Verizon, and several other big companies reported to investors- as required, that the law would take quite a bite out of future earnings. They were considering dropping employee health insurance. “…dumping the health care coverage they provide to their workers in exchange for paying penalty fees to the government.” AT&T, Verizon, others, thought about dropping health plans - May. 5, 2010

a. Makes sense, as the law would penalize the companies $2,000 per employee if they didn’t offer the insurance, as opposed to over $7,000 per worker for a comprehensive package. Former CBO director Holtz-Eakins this may be the start of a 35 million worker avalanche that will move into subsidized coverage, at a cost of over $1 trillion more to the total cost of Obamacare over the next ten years. Opinion: Resetting the 'Obamacare' baseline - Douglas Holtz-Eakin and James C. Capretta - POLITICO.com

b. Despite all the talk of avoiding any disruption of the current system of employer-sponsored insurance, the legislation actually seems destined to accelerate the steady decline of that form of coverage….the statute creates several new incentives for employers to move away from providing coverage. Why the Health Reform Wars Have Only Just Begun | The Heritage Foundation

4. Who said “If you like your healthcare plan, you’ll be able to keep your healthcare plan?” “An analyst from McKinsey & Company knocked the socks off insurance company executives yesterday when she told them the new health law will bring “fundamental disruption to the health care economy” — so much so that “something in the range of 80 to 100 million individuals are going to change coverage categories in the two years post-2014.” They will lose their employer coverage, move into exchanges, or go on to Medicaid. This would be an extraordinary disruption that will cause widespread outrage.” 80 to 100 Million Could Lose Current Coverage

They know all of this. You may not, if you believed the Party of Dependency....but they all know the facts. And the future.

So, Republicans, Tea Party, Blue Dog Democrats....

What's the dif?

The GOP got its head handed to them and declared victory.

Not only are you correct, but how does this encourage a Repub vote in '12. as there seems to be no stomach to fight the good fight?
The GOP is counting on photo ID and decertification of state public service unions to castrate the Dems as a national party. As a result the national Republican party will hold to the Tea Party line in rhetoric until the state parties remove the Democratic party base and the party can safely live with a Tea party opposition. Photo ID will remove the graveyard and illegal immigrant votes the Ds depend on and decertifying state public service unions from political activity will castrate the Ds as a non regional party. Once 34 states have gone for either solution passing a national photo ID bill (25-30 states have one or both reforms now) will sail through both houses.

The GOP is interested in winning elections and going national with those two reforms will destroy the Democratic party. The talk about budget cuts is simply a way of keeping the Tea party from splitting prematurely before the Ds are gutted. The photo ID is the big reform. The Ds have not won a presidential first term in more than a century without party machines polling the graveyards. A national law against partisan activity by state unions may not even be constitutional but photo ID has already been sustained by the courts and will help lead to state union laws in the majority of states. At the moment the GOP mainstream is doing the minimum necessary to keep the TP on board while taking out the Ds.

I don't mean to be snide but you act as if professional partisans can be expected to have morals and principles as a rule rather than as the exception. The general experience with idealistic partisans: Reagan, Goldwater, Carter and Kennedy; has been unhappy. Living in Key West during the Bay of Pigs and Missile Crisis Kennedy's assassination was an unhappy but expected event of my boyhood. 90% of the adult Cuban-American community only wanted him to survive to prevent a martyr for incompetent foreign policy being created. Reagan still has massive strongly negative polling among those born prior to 1966 and thus eligible to vote in his reelection. Voters prefer political prostitutes like Clinton and Bush II.

As much as I'd rather not come to the gop's defense....

they have control of 1/2 of 1/3 of the government. When that's all you have you are little more than a noisy dog.

The house could have passed Ryans plan or the $100 billion in cuts that they actually wanted.

But the dems declared that those cuts would kill everyone but the rich.

seriously, they listed everyone to die, except the rich.

So they drew the line at $39 billion. The American people know that's not enough, and when 2012 comes around, obama will be dealing with, not just a gop controlled House, but all of Congress will be dominated by fiscal conservatives, with 2014 getting worse for him and better for us.

and when the bodies don't pile up? we have a fiscally conservative trifecta in 2016. Assuming we can survive until 2012.

The GOP got its head handed to them and declared victory.

Not only are you correct, but how does this encourage a Repub vote in '12. as there seems to be no stomach to fight the good fight?
The GOP is counting on photo ID and decertification of state public service unions to castrate the Dems as a national party. As a result the national Republican party will hold to the Tea Party line in rhetoric until the state parties remove the Democratic party base and the party can safely live with a Tea party opposition. Photo ID will remove the graveyard and illegal immigrant votes the Ds depend on and decertifying state public service unions from political activity will castrate the Ds as a non regional party. Once 34 states have gone for either solution passing a national photo ID bill (25-30 states have one or both reforms now) will sail through both houses.

The GOP is interested in winning elections and going national with those two reforms will destroy the Democratic party. The talk about budget cuts is simply a way of keeping the Tea party from splitting prematurely before the Ds are gutted. The photo ID is the big reform. The Ds have not won a presidential first term in more than a century without party machines polling the graveyards. A national law against partisan activity by state unions may not even be constitutional but photo ID has already been sustained by the courts and will help lead to state union laws in the majority of states. At the moment the GOP mainstream is doing the minimum necessary to keep the TP on board while taking out the Ds.

I don't mean to be snide but you act as if professional partisans can be expected to have morals and principles as a rule rather than as the exception. The general experience with idealistic partisans: Reagan, Goldwater, Carter and Kennedy; has been unhappy. Living in Key West during the Bay of Pigs and Missile Crisis Kennedy's assassination was an unhappy but expected event of my boyhood. 90% of the adult Cuban-American community only wanted him to survive to prevent a martyr for incompetent foreign policy being created. Reagan still has massive strongly negative polling among those born prior to 1966 and thus eligible to vote in his reelection. Voters prefer political prostitutes like Clinton and Bush II.

"I don't mean to be snide but you act as if professional partisans can be expected to have morals and principles as a rule rather than as the exception."

Thanks so much for directing me back into the world of reality.
Rep on the way.

This was purely a matter of Politics winning out over Principles.

What I am anxious to see is whether or not those of us on the Conservative end of the spectrum will actually punish the Republicans, Tea Partiers, etc... for placing Politics over Principles when the next election cycle comes around. I know that personally, I most definitely will; but I'm not sure whether or not the rest of the Conservatives in this country will or not.

they have control of 1/2 of 1/3 of the government. When that's all you have you are little more than a noisy dog.

The house could have passed Ryans plan or the $100 billion in cuts that they actually wanted.

So they drew the line at $39 billion. The American people know that's not enough, and when 2012 comes around, obama will be dealing with, not just a gop controlled House, but all of Congress will be dominated by fiscal conservatives, with 2014 getting worse for him and better for us.

and when the bodies don't pile up? we have a fiscally conservative trifecta in 2016. Assuming we can survive until 2012.

For now I have faith in Boehner's ability to shrewdly negotiate the best strategic move forward for the American people. And in `12, when he gains more power, I look forward to watching him soar.

For now I have faith in Boehner's ability to shrewdly negotiate the best strategic move forward for the American people. And in `12, when he gains more power, I look forward to watching him soar.

I have ZERO faith in Boehner. He COULD HAVE passed the $100 Billion bill, then let the Senate and/or the President kill it. THAT would have been the Principled thing to do. Instead he went ahead and negotiated with the enemy; gave in to their demands; and proved that he has no backbone or principles at all.

I agree.

The GOP came down from $100 B and the dems came up from $6b.

When the economy doesn't improve enough, and the debt still goes up, people will look for more fiscal conservatives in '12. We just have to hope for the best until then.

This was purely a matter of Politics winning out over Principles.

What I am anxious to see is whether or not those of us on the Conservative end of the spectrum will actually punish the Republicans, Tea Partiers, etc... for placing Politics over Principles when the next election cycle comes around. I know that personally, I most definitely will; but I'm not sure whether or not the rest of the Conservatives in this country will or not.

People that stand on thier principles don't become politicians.

People that stand on thier principles don't become politicians.

Which is why it's so rare for me to find a political candidate that I can vote for, nevermind support. I leave probably 90% of the elective offices BLANK on my ballot each year because I cannot find candidates who are worthy of my vote.

Forum List

Back