Dear NRA, There Is A Scientific Consensus On Guns And Safety. And You Won't Like It.

There's scientific consensus on guns -- and the NRA won't like it

Just one more thing that may pit many conservatives against scientific inquiry. There are lots of liberals who own guns, but conservatives have a special place in their hearts for the NRA and lately a special place in their hearts for despising scientific inquiry

So I decided to determine objectively, through polling, whether there was scientific consensus on firearms. What I found won't please the National Rifle Assn.

My first step was to put together a list of relevant scientists. I decided that to qualify for the survey the researcher should have published on firearms in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, and that he or she should be an active scientist — someone who had published an article in the last four years. I was interested in social science and policy issues, so I wanted the articles to be directly relevant. I was not interested in scientists doing research in forensics, history, medical treatment, psychiatric issues, engineering or non-firearms (for example, nail guns, electron guns).

Scientific consensus isn't always right, but it's our best guide to understanding the world. Can reporters please stop pretending that scientists, like politicians, are evenly divided on guns? We're not.

Let the denial begin...
Would it be anything like the Harvard scientific study,published several years ago,that the left just ignores ones like that?

From the sounds of things....it's not even that good (or should I say it's even worse).

The Harvard study on health insurance was a load.

a gun in the home increases the risk that a woman living in the home will be a victim of homicide (72% agree, 11% disagree) and that

a gun in the home makes it a more dangerous place to be (64%) rather than a safer place (5%). There is consensus that

guns are not used in self-defense far more often than they are used in crime (73% vs. 8%) and that the change to

more permissive gun carrying laws has not reduced crime rates (62% vs. 9%).

Finally, there is consensus that strong gun laws reduce homicide (71% vs. 12%).

Facts that the gun fetishists won't like one iota so I am predicting that there will be a great deal of whining once this thread comes to their attention.
Had a gun in the home when a rapist thought he would do something back in my early twenties. I have never seen a person move like he did when it finally got to the point it would be him and not me. Don't get a gun if you are afraid of them or do not know how or when to use it. It is really simple.

Someone else who completely missed the entire point of the OP! :eek:
More like someone tired of hearing all the bullshit propaganda that goes on about actually having or possessing a gun for self defense against intruders.

7 out of 10 scientists don't accept the BS propaganda that is constantly being spewed by the gun fetishists.
Their needs for guns are probably nil in the labs.

If you read the OP all of these scientists are involved with firearms in one form of another.

My first step was to put together a list of relevant scientists. I decided that to qualify for the survey the researcher should have published on firearms in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, and that he or she should be an active scientist — someone who had published an article in the last four years. I was interested in social science and policy issues, so I wanted the articles to be directly relevant. I was not interested in scientists doing research in forensics, history, medical treatment, psychiatric issues, engineering or non-firearms (for example, nail guns, electron guns).

Most of the scientists who were publishing relevant articles were from the fields of criminology, economics, public policy, political science and public health.​

Trying to dismiss them is a typical tactic of those who cannot handle the facts.

Had a gun in the home when a rapist thought he would do something back in my early twenties. I have never seen a person move like he did when it finally got to the point it would be him and not me. Don't get a gun if you are afraid of them or do not know how or when to use it. It is really simple.

More like someone tired of hearing all the bullshit propaganda that goes on about actually having or possessing a gun for self defense against intruders.

7 out of 10 scientists don't accept the BS propaganda that is constantly being spewed by the gun fetishists.

If you read the OP all of these scientists are involved with firearms in one form of another.

Most of the scientists who were publishing relevant articles were from the fields of criminology, economics, public policy, political science and public health.​

Trying to dismiss them is a typical tactic of those who cannot handle the facts.
I dismiss anything that goes against the liberty granted to the people of this great nation as intended by the original founders of our government. I already stated from personal experience a gun saved me from a rapist. I will never agree with anyone trying to take the guns out of the hands of legal gun owners in this country. If you want to live in a supposedly limited gun rights country head for Europe and depend upon a police state to defend you from a home or bedroom intruder.

I dismiss anything that goes against the liberty granted to the people of this great nation as intended by the original founders of our government. I already stated from personal experience a gun saved me from a rapist. I will never agree with anyone trying to take the guns out of the hands of legal gun owners in this country. If you want to live in a supposedly limited gun rights country head for Europe and depend upon a police state to defend you from a home or bedroom intruder.

There is nothing whatsoever in the the OP that even vaguely resembles your paranoia.

But thanks for proving that the paranoia of gun fetishism is so rampant as to override every single attempt at rational discussion and debate.

There is nothing whatsoever in the the OP that even vaguely resembles your paranoia.

But thanks for proving that the paranoia of gun fetishism is so rampant as to override every single attempt at rational discussion and debate.
I don't own a gun haven't in over twenty years. There were though several times when I was younger I was very grateful that I did have one nearby or on my person when young men thought they may like to take what they wanted against my will.

Since when does a consensus of opinion mean anything more than yes that is my opinion? Opinions are like assholes everyone has one and they all stink.
If a politicians lips are moving he/she is lying.

Since when does a consensus of opinion mean anything more than yes that is my opinion? Opinions are like assholes everyone has one and they all stink.

A majority of progressives appeal to authority for their views, it allows them to have a position without having to think about it. They parrot the lines of the few that can actually think for themselves. (Yes some of them actually exist).

a gun in the home increases the risk that a woman living in the home will be a victim of homicide (72% agree, 11% disagree) and that

a gun in the home makes it a more dangerous place to be (64%) rather than a safer place (5%). There is consensus that

guns are not used in self-defense far more often than they are used in crime (73% vs. 8%) and that the change to

Facts that the gun fetishists won't like one iota so I am predicting that there will be a great deal of whining once this thread comes to their attention.

The point is, the feelings of the polled don't equal facts.

They are a tally of the current consensus of scientists on the pertinent issues that gun fetishists like you and your ilk constantly lie about.

A consensus on whether strong gun laws reduce homicide?
Why not just show the proof? You know, instead of asking for their opinions?
You know, the proof that you and your ilk constantly lie about.

What has not already been said ad infinitum?

Look at gun control 25 years ago, and look now. You people have clearly lost your 20th Century attempt to subvert this Constitutional right.

Since when does a consensus of opinion mean anything more than yes that is my opinion?

No kidding. If we wanted to know how liberal idiots feel about guns, we could just ask here.

And their feelings would be just as pointless as those in this moronic, unscientific poll.

They are a tally of the current consensus of scientists on the pertinent issues that gun fetishists like you and your ilk constantly lie about.

Try reading the OP.

These are scientists who study this topic so they already know the data on which they are basing their professional positions.

Look at gun control 25 years ago, and look now. You people have clearly lost your 20th Century attempt to subvert this Constitutional right.

Yet another dullard who doesn't understand the OP topic.

I understand the topic just fine, and gave it all the attention it deserved.

Your posts prove otherwise.

Your posts prove otherwise.

As follows the nature of your professed "scientific consensus", that is your opinion, and carries the same weight as your "consensus".

Try reading the OP.

These are scientists who study this topic so they already know the data on which they are basing their professional positions.

These are scientists who study this topic

Social scientists. It's not like they're discovering quasars or measuring temperatures.

they already know the data

This poll was about their opinion, no data to be seen.

Try reading the OP.

Social scientists. It's not like they're discovering quasars or measuring temperatures.

Guns are not quasars or temperatures but they are a subject for scientists to study.

Too bad you don't get to decide what scientists are allowed to study but given that gun fetishists have an authoritarian mindset I am sure you would like to deny them their freedom to study guns.

Try reading the OP.

Guns are not quasars or temperatures but they are a subject for scientists to study.

Too bad you don't get to decide what scientists are allowed to study but given that gun fetishists have an authoritarian mindset I am sure you would like to deny them their freedom to study guns.

And either strong gun laws reduce murder rates or they don't. So why waste time to poll opinions?
Show the facts. Start with Chicago and DC.

I am sure you would like to deny them their freedom to study guns.

I'm sure that you'd like to jail those that disagree with your scientists, or is that only the case with "global warming".

Try reading the OP.

And either strong gun laws reduce murder rates or they don't. So why waste time to poll opinions?
Show the facts. Start with Chicago and DC.

I am sure you would like to deny them their freedom to study guns.

I'm sure that you'd like to jail those that disagree with your scientists, or is that only the case with "global warming".

There are no "strong gun laws" in this nation because rabid gun fetishists like yourself squeal like schoolgirls any time someone dares to suggest even reasonable measures like universal background checks.

Opinion polls are not science.

Forum List

Back