Dear NRA, There Is A Scientific Consensus On Guns And Safety. And You Won't Like It.

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
There's scientific consensus on guns -- and the NRA won't like it

Just one more thing that may pit many conservatives against scientific inquiry. There are lots of liberals who own guns, but conservatives have a special place in their hearts for the NRA and lately a special place in their hearts for despising scientific inquiry

So I decided to determine objectively, through polling, whether there was scientific consensus on firearms. What I found won't please the National Rifle Assn.

My first step was to put together a list of relevant scientists. I decided that to qualify for the survey the researcher should have published on firearms in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, and that he or she should be an active scientist — someone who had published an article in the last four years. I was interested in social science and policy issues, so I wanted the articles to be directly relevant. I was not interested in scientists doing research in forensics, history, medical treatment, psychiatric issues, engineering or non-firearms (for example, nail guns, electron guns).

Scientific consensus isn't always right, but it's our best guide to understanding the world. Can reporters please stop pretending that scientists, like politicians, are evenly divided on guns? We're not.

Let the denial begin...

Dear NRA, There Is A Scientific Consensus On Guns And Safety. And You Won't Like It.
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

a gun in the home increases the risk that a woman living in the home will be a victim of homicide (72% agree, 11% disagree) and that

a gun in the home makes it a more dangerous place to be (64%) rather than a safer place (5%). There is consensus that

guns are not used in self-defense far more often than they are used in crime (73% vs. 8%) and that the change to

more permissive gun carrying laws has not reduced crime rates (62% vs. 9%).

Finally, there is consensus that strong gun laws reduce homicide (71% vs. 12%).

Facts that the gun fetishists won't like one iota so I am predicting that there will be a great deal of whining once this thread comes to their attention.

a gun in the home increases the risk that a woman living in the home will be a victim of homicide (72% agree, 11% disagree) and that

a gun in the home makes it a more dangerous place to be (64%) rather than a safer place (5%). There is consensus that

guns are not used in self-defense far more often than they are used in crime (73% vs. 8%) and that the change to

Facts that the gun fetishists won't like one iota so I am predicting that there will be a great deal of whining once this thread comes to their attention.

How does the gun do that?

There is consensus that guns are not used in self-defense far more often than they are used in crime (73% vs. 8%)

A consensus of opinion isn't the same as proof. How many times are guns used in self-defense?
How many times are they used in crimes? And how do you know?

What were the murder rates in Chicago and DC when guns were illegal in those cities?
Did the murder rates decline when the strong gun laws were passed?

Had a gun in the home when a rapist thought he would do something back in my early twenties. I have never seen a person move like he did when it finally got to the point it would be him and not me. Don't get a gun if you are afraid of them or do not know how or when to use it. It is really simple.

Just one more thing that may pit many conservatives against scientific inquiry. There are lots of liberals who own guns, but conservatives have a special place in their hearts for the NRA and lately a special place in their hearts for despising scientific inquiry

So I decided to determine objectively, through polling, whether there was scientific consensus on firearms. What I found won't please the National Rifle Assn.

My first step was to put together a list of relevant scientists. I decided that to qualify for the survey the researcher should have published on firearms in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, and that he or she should be an active scientist — someone who had published an article in the last four years. I was interested in social science and policy issues, so I wanted the articles to be directly relevant. I was not interested in scientists doing research in forensics, history, medical treatment, psychiatric issues, engineering or non-firearms (for example, nail guns, electron guns).

Scientific consensus isn't always right, but it's our best guide to understanding the world. Can reporters please stop pretending that scientists, like politicians, are evenly divided on guns? We're not.

Let the denial begin...

You mean "SCI-YEN-TERRIFIC!" consensus after the Ice Age/Global Warming/Ice Age consensus model.

Got it. :laugh:

There is consensus that guns are not used in self-defense far more often than they are used in crime (73% vs. 8%)

A consensus of opinion isn't the same as proof. How many times are guns used in self-defense?

What were the murder rates in Chicago and DC when guns were illegal in those cities?

Ask an adult to explain the premise of the OP to you in terms you might be able to understand, 'mkay?

Had a gun in the home when a rapist thought he would do something back in my early twenties. I have never seen a person move like he did when it finally got to the point it would be him and not me. Don't get a gun if you are afraid of them or do not know how or when to use it. It is really simple.

Someone else who completely missed the entire point of the OP! :eek:

Ask an adult to explain the premise of the OP to you in terms you might be able to understand, 'mkay?

If you see an adult on this thread, send them over. Then we can both laugh at you.

The point is, the feelings of the polled don't equal facts.

More like someone tired of hearing all the bullshit propaganda that goes on about actually having or possessing a gun for self defense against intruders.

If you see an adult on this thread, send them over. Then we can both laugh at you.

If his gun handling is like his posts....DT knows he'd shoot himself at some point (accidently, of course).

Let the denial begin...
Would it be anything like the Harvard scientific study,published several years ago,that the left just ignores ones like that?

Scientists? Aren't those the same people who came up with evolution? Aren't they the ones that claim that increasing greenhouse gasses by millions of tons every year causes climate change? And now, they are claiming that guns are dangerous to your family and loved ones? If any of that were true, wouldn't it be in the Bible?

The point is, the feelings of the polled don't equal facts.

They are a tally of the current consensus of scientists on the pertinent issues that gun fetishists like you and your ilk constantly lie about.

More like someone tired of hearing all the bullshit propaganda that goes on about actually having or possessing a gun for self defense against intruders.

7 out of 10 scientists don't accept the BS propaganda that is constantly being spewed by the gun fetishists.

7 out of 10 scientists don't accept the BS propaganda that is constantly being spewed by the gun fetishists.
Their needs for guns are probably nil in the labs.

Forum List

Back