Deadly germ research is shut down at army lab over safety concerns

Funny to me story is that after 9/11 my dad forbade anyone from getting the mail due to the anthrax attack. The mail had to season awhile out by the road just in case. I remember us driving by and the mail carrier was standing there so totally pissed as he had to get out of his jeep and force mail into the box it was so packed full. Even when he got the thing closed it would pop back open as soon as he pulled off. I vividly remember him saying, "Yeah, maybe after it frosts we can do that" to my brother. It became a running joke for years afterward whenever someone asked you to do something you didn't want to do to say, "Yeah, maybe after it frosts I'll do that"

This is not new. Back in the early 90s there was a rumor that a researcher had broken protocol and used glassware to handle a particularly virulent strain of anthrax. He dropped a beaker containing the anthrax and it spilled on him. The spores could, supposedly, penetrate the clothing the researcher was wearing. I don't recall the amount of time it would have taken to kill the researcher, but the speculation was that he was buried in a sealed coffin in much less time than that. And that the entire building was filled with concrete to seal it.

I cannot vouch for the story. But I dated a biochemist in the late 1990s who said a fellow researcher suddenly disappeared and that she had seen the building filled with concrete. This was at Fort Detrick MD where she worked in the P3 and P4 viral labs.

I doubt anyone thinks there might be an accident. They are probably afraid of some intentional act by a committed leftist.

Forum List

Back