Dead Rodents Found at Peanut Plant

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
Dead Rodents Found in Peanut PlantBy BETSY BLANEY, AP
posted: 2 HOURS 24 MINUTES AGOcomments: 110filed under: Health News, National NewsPrintShareText SizeAAA

PLAINVIEW, Texas (Feb. 13) - Texas health officials shuttered a peanut plant operated by a company at the center of a national salmonella outbreak and ordered it to recall all products after inspectors found dead rodents, feces and feathers above a production area.
The Texas Department of Health and Human Services issued the order Thursday after finding a filth-infested crawl space at the Peanut Corp. of America plant. During an inspection Wednesday, officials also found that an air handling system was pulling debris from the crawl space into areas where dry roasted peanuts, peanut meal and granulated peanuts were processed.

Dead Rodents Found in Peanut Plant

This company has some issues.

Yuck! I am developing an aversion to anything peanut.

This is the same company that had the salmonella outbreak, but this is a different plant. I hope there's a three strikes and your out rule for companies like this. The don't need to be handling our food.

There has long been a problem with keeping rodents out of peanuts. It's getting a lot of press at the moment but it isn't anything new. Get yourself a warehouse full of peanuts and try to keep the rats out. Let me know how that turns out.

There has long been a problem with keeping rodents out of peanuts. It's getting a lot of press at the moment but it isn't anything new. Get yourself a warehouse full of peanuts and try to keep the rats out. Let me know how that turns out.

Are peanuts their fave?

Here we go. These are some FDA guidelines for the acceptable amounts of rat droppings, hair, maggots and such in our food. The average American eats a couple pounds of insects and rat droppings every year. Just be glad you don't have to eat it all at once.

PEANUT BUTTER
Defect: Insect and rodent filth.
Action level: An average of 30 or more insect fragments and one or more rodent hairs per 100 grams.
Example: In every 18-ounce jar of peanut butter, there can be as many as 150 insect fragments and five rodent hairs.

CHOCOLATE
Action level: An average of 60 or more insect fragments and one or more rodent hairs per 100 grams.
Example: A typical chocolate bar is about 60 grams, or 2 ounces. It could have as many as 36 insect fragments and about half a rodent hair and still be sold in supermarkets.

MACARONI AND PASTA
Action level: An average of 225 or more insect fragments and 4.5 rodent hairs per 225 grams (an 8-ounce serving).

WHEAT FLOUR
Action level: An average of 75 or more insect fragments and one or more rodent hairs per 50 grams.
Example: A 2-pound bag can have as many as 1,344 insect fragments and 18 rodent hairs.

FROZEN BROCCOLI
Defect: Insects and mites.
Action level: An average of 60 or more aphids and/or thrips (insects) and/or mites per 100 grams.
Example: A 10-ounce box of frozen broccoli can have no more than 168 insects or mites. (Aphids and thrips are plant-sucking insects.)

CANNED CITRUS FRUIT JUICES
Defect: Mold, insects and insect eggs.
Action level: Ten percent average mold count or more, and five or more fruit fly and other fly eggs or one or more maggots per 250 milliliters.
Example: No more than five fruit fly or other eggs or one maggot per 8-ounce glass.

TOMATO PASTE, PIZZA AND OTHER SAUCES
Defect: Fruit flies and maggots.
Action level: An average of 30 or more fly eggs, or 15 or more fly eggs and one or more maggots, or two or more maggots per 100 grams.
Example: If a typical jar is 26 ounces, there can be as many as 220 eggs per jar.

Are peanuts their fave?

Nuts, seeds, grains. A friend of mine's family has owned an agricultural seed warehouse for decades. Anywhere you store seeds, grains and such, there will be rats. They are even allowed to use poisons that food storage can not use and they can't keep the rats out. The best you can do is manage your rat community and try to keep them under control.

I'm such a picky eater as it is and i surely didn't need to read this! My Bad *exits this thread fast*

Are peanuts their fave?

Nuts, seeds, grains. A friend of mine's family has owned an agricultural seed warehouse for decades. Anywhere you store seeds, grains and such, there will be rats. They are even allowed to use poisons that food storage can not use and they can't keep the rats out. The best you can do is manage your rat community and try to keep them under control.

Lovely! :eek:

The peanut family fights back:

$famf59peanut_crunchbunch.jpg

Yuck! I am developing an aversion to anything peanut.

If you can still find it, the following book will make "yuck!" into your motto:
Kallet, Arthur.
TITLE 100,000,000 guinea pigs; dangers in everyday foods, drugs, and cosmetics, by Arthur Kallet ... and F. J. Schlink ...
PUB INFO New York, The Vanguard press, 1933.

Too much information! I already read, The Jungle. I applaud the effects it had and suggest that people who own/manage companies like this peanut firm, be brought up on charges. With that, don't want to read about bits or droppings.

Too much information! I already read, The Jungle. I applaud the effects it had and suggest that people who own/manage companies like this peanut firm, be brought up on charges. With that, don't want to read about bits or droppings.

Well, while I am OK with the fact that there is no way to keep flies, rats, maggots and such out of processed foods, I do agree that if the rat is not running away from you, and just lying there dead on the floor, someone should probably scoop him up and take him away.

Uh peanuts, fruits and beggies are natural.... I don't care what process you use you are going to get extra added protein in your food. And organic farms which use no pestacides will have more not less such contaminates. Even if you grow your own food and do your own canning you are going to have a problem.

Forum List

Back