Daylight Savings Time Ends 10/30

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
Daylight Savings Time ends 10/30(in the US) at 2 am Eastern Time,

In some states e.g. Arizona and Hawaii, DST does not apply.....

As of 2007, DST will start the first week of March until the first week of November....

which begs the question.... why do we have it in the first place?

At the age of 78, in a moment of whimsey, Benjamin Franklin wrote An Economical Project, a discourse on the thrift of natural versus artificial lighting. He included several funny regulations that Paris might adopt to help. Over two centuries later, nations around the world use a variation of his concept to conserve energy and more fully enjoy the benefits of daylight.
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin.html

Rationales for DST
One of the major reasons given for observing DST is energy conservation. Theoretically, the amount of residential electricity needed in the evening hours is dependent both on when the sun sets and when people go to bed. Because people tend to observe the same bedtime year-round, by artificially moving sunset one hour later, the amount of energy used is theoretically reduced. United States Department of Transportation studies showed that DST reduces the country's electricity usage by one percent during each day DST is in effect.
Part of the reason that it is normally observed in the late spring, summer, and early autumn is because during the winter months the amount of energy saved by moving sunset one hour later is negated by the increased need for morning lighting by moving sunrise by the same amount. During the summer most people would wake up after the sun rises, regardless of whether daylight saving time is in effect or not, so there is no increased need for morning lighting to offset the afternoon energy savings.
Another perceived benefit of DST is increased opportunities for outdoor activities. Most people plan outdoor activities during the increased hours of sunlight. Other benefits cited include prevention of traffic injuries (by allowing more people to return home from work or school in daylight), and crime reduction (by reducing people's risk of being targets of crimes that are more common in dark areas).
When the U.S. went on extended DST in 1974 and 1975 in response to the 1973 energy crisis, Department of Transportation studies found that observing DST in March and April saved 10,000 barrels of oil a day, and prevented about 2,000 traffic injuries and 50 fatalities saving about U.S. $28 million in traffic costs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time

Yup, I love the hour gained, but hate dark in morning and afternoon. :coffee3:

USMCDevilDog said:
Ok, it's the 30th and I'm waaay to tired to know what's right. I'm on the east coast and it's 8:35 AM, sooo are my clocks right??

Well mine says 7:34 CST, so that sounds about right! :laugh:

Forum List

Back