David Duke Considering Run for Congress

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jimnyc, Jan 23, 2004.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    NEW ORLEANS -- Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke, in federal prison after pleading guilty to mail and tax fraud, is considering a run for Congress when he is released this year, his secretary said Friday.

Roy Armstrong said Duke is considering entering the race for the seat of Republican Rep. David Vitter. In 1999, Duke finished third in the primary for that seat.

Armstrong said Duke could be released to a halfway house in mid-April, a year after he began his prison term.

"He was skeptical that he would be able to raise the money to run an effective campaign in time, but he said he would consider his options," Armstrong said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Duke, whose telephone privileges are limited, could not be reached for comment.

The seat probably will be open because Vitter has said he is running for U.S. Senate.

Duke would not be the first convicted felon to run for federal office. For example, James Traficant, a former Ohio congressman convicted of bribery and racketeering charges, unsuccessfully ran for a House seat from prison in 2002.

The plea agreement Duke signed in 2002 did not restrict his right to run for office, U.S. Attorney Jim Letten said.

Duke spent one term in the Louisiana House in the late 1980s, but lost elections for the U.S. Senate in 1990 and governor in 1991.

In his federal trial, Duke was accused of bilking supporters by representing himself as being in dire financial straits while actually living extravagantly. Duke denied the accusations.

http://www.newsday.com/news/politic...34,print.story?coll=sns-ap-politics-headlines

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Duke, whatever his faults, has my full support. One of the few white men in America to stand up for his people. For that, he was rewarded with jail. Gee, wonder who REALLY controls this country? Go, David Duke! Real Americans are behind you.

3. Sandy73

Sandy73 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I voted for him once I think I would vote for him again depending on his other contenders in the race !!

Look when I voted for him it was between Duke & Edwin Edwards our 4 term past governor who is now in jail !!

Now we have a DEMONCRATIC woman who don't know what the hell she is doing !!

4. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    1. I would have a problem voting for a convicted felon

2. I would not want to have a congressman that would not represent everyone in his district the same.

3. once a racist always a racist, until proven otherwise

:cof:

5. Sandy73

Sandy73 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well Jon, this is Louisiana and 98% of the politicians here are convicted felons !! Not much of a choice !!

6. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I guess while in leeseanna...do as the leeseannins do:D

7. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    anybody eats bugs is ok in my book, long as they post here...

8. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    ...David Duke, liar, thief and racist...He's hit the trifecta. What's one more fatally flawed character amongst those already on Capitol Hill?

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    :thup: for David Duke!

10. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Duke is a somewhat honest politcian ( if possible) lets face it if ya look into anyones past ya have thinga ya arent proud of. His past to some may be wrong , but to me it is better than most cause he has shown he will say what he thinks . I see Jesse Jackson ( who admits to spitting in white ppl's food as a young man) was going to run for office, Al Sharpton...lol... wow what a idiot he is , anyone remember the central park jogger? I do , & I also remember ol Al saying maybe the white bitch deserved it !!! Now he is running ( or at least trying) So lets not bash Duke if we allow others to run!!!
    Duke in '04
    Jeff