Darfur?

USMCDevilDog said:
I don't really know anything about this, but I'm just wondering why we're not doing anything about the genocide in Darfur? Do we just not care or are we doing something??

Short version cynical response: they don't have any oil.

Long version: When military intervention was suggested in the UN, France threatened to veto any and all measures. Sudan is part of France's Neocolonialism of poor North African countries. The government committing the genocide is supported by France.

Any unilateral action on our part would bring such a wail out of the leftwingnuts (the same ones who have been screaming why hasn't Bush done anything?) we'd all need hearing aids.

The appropriate title for the genocide in Darfur is "The Shame of the Civilized World."

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Gunny summed it up well. Add to it that the government is an Muslim government killing Chrisitians and every Muslim government in the UN provides support for the genocide. The UN hasnt even decided to call it a genocide. They are calling it an incident. They are currently creating a committee to decide if it is a genocide.

As for the US, well we're kind of busy.

Whoa, ok so as the U.S. shouldn't we challenge this and take them the fuck out? I mean shit, if France and the UN is supporting genocide then they're just as bad as Hitler himself. Why the hell don't we challenge this "attitude" towards this shit? It's ridiculous.

USMCDevilDog said:
Whoa, ok so as the U.S. shouldn't we challenge this and take them the fuck out? I mean shit, if France and the UN is supporting genocide then they're just as bad as Hitler himself. Why the hell don't we challenge this "attitude" towards this shit? It's ridiculous.

Partially because we already have somewhat of a handfull with Iraq and to a lesser extent Afganistan.

nosarcasm said:
any sources for the claim its all France's fault.

I blame the AU, especially SA.

If you are referring to my post, I did not state "it's all France's fault." I am however moer than willing to put down France's neocolonialism at any and every opportunity.

They opposed is invading Iraq why? Because they had under-the-table deals with Saddam that would be jeopardized by the invasion, and basically went out the window when we did.

France has financial interests in Sudan, that would be jeopardized by action against the current government. So, France is willing to turn a blind eye to genocide for financial gain, and thwart any UN effort to intervene.

That doesn't make it "all France's fault." It's primarily the fault of, and being carried out by a typical extremist Islamic government against people who stand in their way and don't believe what they tell them they should.

GunnyL said:
If you are referring to my post, I did not state "it's all France's fault." I am however moer than willing to put down France's neocolonialism at any and every opportunity.

They opposed is invading Iraq why? Because they had under-the-table deals with Saddam that would be jeopardized by the invasion, and basically went out the window when we did.

France has financial interests in Sudan, that would be jeopardized by action against the current government. So, France is willing to turn a blind eye to genocide for financial gain, and thwart any UN effort to intervene.

That doesn't make it "all France's fault." It's primarily the fault of, and being carried out by a typical extremist Islamic government against people who stand in their way and don't believe what they tell them they should.

Another group of people who follow Islam?

Anybody see a pattern here?

I don't really know anything about this, but I'm just wondering why we're not doing anything about the genocide in Darfur?

Why should we? What US national interest is at stake in Darfur?

Oh, and Semper Fi

sorenmk2 said:
I don't really know anything about this, but I'm just wondering why we're not doing anything about the genocide in Darfur?

Why should we? What US national interest is at stake in Darfur?

Oh, and Semper Fi

Since when did we need a "National interest" to do what's right?

While I consider genocide and oppression as two unforgivable acts, I do believe the action should be in the hands of the UN. They failed to do anything, and now they've got blood on their hands.

What we're asking for by going into Sudan is a situation much like Iraq, but much worse. God knows we couldn't leave Sudan without making it a democracy, which means staying there for decades while popular support dwindles.

So, I say let it be on the UN's conscience.

Semper Fi said:
While I consider genocide and oppression as two unforgivable acts, I do believe the action should be in the hands of the UN. They failed to do anything, and now they've got blood on their hands.

What we're asking for by going into Sudan is a situation much like Iraq, but much worse. God knows we couldn't leave Sudan without making it a democracy, which means staying there for decades while popular support dwindles.

So, I say let it be on the UN's conscience.

Blame it on the UN and do nothing ?

I agree. We can't find our way out of South Korea. We can't find our way out of Kosovo. We can't find our way out of Afghanistan. We can't find our way out of Iraq. I'd like those who want to send our forces into yet another third world hell-hole how they plan to get out before they get in. That's not too much to ask.

Sure seems to be a lot of Marines around here. I got out in 1971. Semper Fi, Jarheads.

sorenmk2 said:
I agree. We can't find our way out of South Korea. We can't find our way out of Kosovo. We can't find our way out of Afghanistan. We can't find our way out of Iraq. I'd like those who want to send our forces into yet another third world hell-hole how they plan to get out before they get in. That's not too much to ask.

Sure seems to be a lot of Marines around here. I got out in 1971. Semper Fi, Jarheads.

we are still in germany, england, UAE, cuba.....und so weiter

oh my...it is worse than you thought http://www.globalpolicy.org/empire/intervention/2003/0710imperialmap.htm

sorenmk2 said:

War isn't that simple.

Forum List

Back