Dang, You Gotta Love This Post

Joz said:
This was a 'funny' right??? Women tend to be more emotional openly but to make a statement like that is soooo asinine on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.

And you don't think this emotion doesn't get in the way of rationality sometimes?

Joz said:
This was a 'funny' right??? Women tend to be more emotional openly but to make a statement like that is soooo asinine on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.

C'mon, now .... everyone knows y'all gals have WAY more issues than us guys.:poke:

Dear, can I use the checkbook?:smoke:

GunnyL said:
ITA. That was my first thought. Self-esteem is not monopolized by gender. I see nothign wrong with a healthy promotion of self-esteem, but without creating a delusional reality where as was said already, where we have generations of people who do not have clue what to do in the face of failure.

No one truly fails until they quit. But you DO have to be capable of facing and handling adversity in order to "try and try again" instead of packing it in at the first sign of difficulty.

I think I'm reading it with a different perspective, maybe not. Athough I do agree that fear of failure does keep people (not just women) stuck - real or imagined, programmed through parents, society and so on. On the other hand, women face things that men don't. Some worse, some not. Same thing for men.

And I didn't know I was "telling you." Just making Saturday morning conversation.:)

What's with all the upper case words then, I'm not Jasendorf? Or am I?? :laugh:

dilloduck said:
And you don't think this emotion doesn't get in the way of rationality sometimes?
I didn't say that. But to say that our thinking is directly connected to our.... "pleasure crevice".... only an irrational man would say that.

Said1 said:
I think I'm reading it with a different perspective, maybe not. Athough I do agree that fear of failure does keep people (not just women) stuck - real or imagined, programmed through parents, society and so on. On the other hand, women face things that men don't. Some worse, some not. Same thing for men.

What's with all the upper case words then, I'm not Jasendorf? Or am I?? :laugh:

LOL .... ONE uppercase word?:)

I only think women have it a little worse than men self-esteem wise for the reason that history has made them second-class citizens. Relatively, women's equality in most things is new, and does not still pertain to all societies. I think that is a mindset that a woman has that men do not that they must overcome just to level the field.

Said1 said:
.....Some people will never be able to do certain things, I know this is a fact. However saying "you dumb shit, why would you want to do that?" is detrimental on so many levels that go above and beyond what that person is trying to accomplish - which I think is Latifah's point, at it's most general level. Like I said, maybe her message should be directed at everyone, and not just women.
The reason I think behind all this is the fact that this is the message that most girls are fed. We are to only be wives and mothers. Which, by the way, I think is one of the highest & God-smiling a woman can choose. But when we are told that that's the only thing a woman can do......whether men want to admit it or not, they need a good woman. And so does the world.

This is the reason here.
rtwngAvngr said:
... making them feel like when someone tells them they're wrong they're trying to "bring them down" or "denigrate a woman's way of knowing", or are just "sexist pigs".

GunnyL said:
LOL .... ONE uppercase word?:)

Two. :D

I only think women have it a little worse than men self-esteem wise for the reason that history has made them second-class citizens. Relatively, women's equality in most things is new, and does not still pertain to all societies. I think that is a mindset that a woman has that men do not that they must overcome just to level the field.

I think both men and women have trouble imagining the treatment of women in other cultures. I also think a lot of women who refuse to acknowledge biological gender differences, forcing equality are kidding themselves too.

Said1 said:
Two. :D

I think both men and women have trouble imagining the treatment of women in other cultures. I also think a lot of women who refuse to acknowledge biological gender differences, forcing equality are kidding themselves too.

ITA, and no worse place than the military as an example. Instead of forcing women to meet the higher standards for the equal job, they "dumb down" the requirements.

I have no problem with eqaulity so long as the person is qualified, and the requirements are not eroded to cater to an inability to perform.

GunnyL said:
ITA, and no worse place than the military as an example. Instead of forcing women to meet the higher standards for the equal job, they "dumb down" the requirements.

I have no problem with eqaulity so long as the person is qualified, and the requirements are not eroded to cater to an inability to perform.
I have a REAL problem with this. But where do you think this came from? Could it be the disrespect women have been shown in times past? And now the pedulum has swung so far the other way, it's ridiculous.

Joz said:

I think women are less rational. Seriously. I do.

rtwngAvngr said:
I think women are less rational. Seriously. I do.
How so when you just made the statement that men are accused of thinking with their little head??? And they do ALOT; but not always. Give me an example of what you're referring to.

Joz said:
How so when you just made the statement that men are accused of thinking with their little head??? And they do ALOT; but not always. Give me an example of what you're referring to.

Men sometimes, women moreso. But you know what? Rationality isn't all it's cracked up to be.

rtwngAvngr said:
Men sometimes, women moreso. But you know what? Rationality isn't all it's cracked up to be.
In other words, you don't want to get into it at the moment. Maybe some other time, then.

Joz said:
In other words, you don't want to get into it at the moment. Maybe some other time, then.

Men and women are different. In good ways. But yeah, I'm watching the blogger convention on cspan. It's SOOOO good.

rtwngAvngr said:
... But yeah, I'm watching the blogger convention on cspan. It's SOOOO good.
You need a woman. :happy2:
Enjoy your show. We'll pick this up later.

Bullypulpit said:
We've made quite a habit of providing phony, unearned self-esteem in this society over the last forty years or so. As a result, we're producing a whole gneration that doesn't know the meaning of failure...i.e. get up dust yourself off and do it again until you get it right. Instead they get this look of utter shock on their faces when they find out the world isn't going to give them a pat on the back for simply breathing.

Oh boy is that true!!! But this starts with parents who don't know how to say no to their kids. Say no to any 15 year old and watch the glazed thousand yard stare come over their faces:wtf:

Forum List

Back