Dang, You Gotta Love This Post

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2006/06/womens-confidence-day.html

Links at site:

2. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    You mean expect someone to actually put out the effort to better themselves rather than just telling they are better?

Gee, will that work?

3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    We've made quite a habit of providing phony, unearned self-esteem in this society over the last forty years or so. As a result, we're producing a whole gneration that doesn't know the meaning of failure...i.e. get up dust yourself off and do it again until you get it right. Instead they get this look of utter shock on their faces when they find out the world isn't going to give them a pat on the back for simply breathing.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Exactly.

5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Maybe teaching/telling those who haven't learned, for whatever reason that they can learn isn't such a bad thing either?

Who hear hasn't said "I couldn't do that" without even trying? I've had self-defeating thoughts, am I the only one?

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I doubt ANYONE can make the claim they have never had self-defeating thoughts. Society programs us from Day One with a set of arbitrary parameters which we quitely accept. Even those who consider themselves "daring" and unhindered will not ignore ALL the walls pre-built for us.

7. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

Well, I guess you told me. :laugh:

Anyway, I'll repeat and expand a bit more. Is there anything wrong with teaching those who haven't learned, for whatever reason, that they can do something? Some are programmed by others, from birth, not necessarily by society.

Maybe it's the "you go girl" *snap, snap* way she's presenting it that is so unappealing to many? Maybe it should be directed at people, instead of women?

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think I get what you are saying. I always find something good in any work one of my student's have done, provided there is demonstration of effort in it. It may be they missed the mark in finding the 'important information', but did a wonderful job at presenting it. Sooo, "Geoff, your presentation was terrific! I really liked ...., I want to see that again, now let's look at what your sources said and here's how you are going to fix this... and present it again..." If a student has attempted the work, but somehow not managed to 'get it', I think it's important that they have both the opportunity to correct their mistakes and not be annihilated in the process. Will I give them an 'A' for the final grade, no. However, if done correctly and timely, they can get a 'B', 'C', or 'D' instead of an 'F.' To me, 'F' should be used for kids that do not do the work or demonstrate an inability to complete the work-they need help that isn't available without additional support, not found in a regular classroom.

9. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Yes, that's one way of looking at it, which can be applied to a multitude of situations - in different contexts of course. I'm sure you've heard of "The Sandwich Effect". :D

Some people will never be able to do certain things, I know this is a fact. However saying "you dumb shit, why would you want to do that?" is detrimental on so many levels that go above and beyond what that person is trying to accomplish - which I think is Latifah's point, at it's most general level. Like I said, maybe her message should be directed at everyone, and not just women.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Wow, if I ever heard a teacher saying a variation of that I'd flip out. I think parents sometimes convey messages like that, unintentionally. Comparisons between siblings like, 'Johnny is a great writer, which Judy shines at math.' Didn't saying anything abusive, but I'll wager Johnny's writing will improve, not so much his math and vice versa for Judy.