Damn squirrels got into my truck engine and wrecked my wiring.

I wonder what squirrels find tasty about truck wiring.

On the other hand, the kids like my wife's pot roast, so....
Damned squirrels ate through the neutral to my water pump. Why do they eat wire and why don't they get dead when they do?

Why do they eat wire? Because they have teeth that are constantly growing, and just like a cat needs to scratch to keep it's claws sharp and not too long, squirrels and other rodents do the same thing and have to chew to keep their teeth from getting too long and also to sharpen them.

The reason they don't "get dead" when they chew on the wire is because your ignition is off, and therefore has little to no power coursing through the system.

The "hot wires" that are constantly on for things like your door lights and the like? They don't carry enough current to hurt the animals, just annoy them and teach them to not eat that wire.

As far as the OP? Dude..................how long did you let your vehicle sit out there without using it? If it was there long enough to have them hide nuts and chew wires, you must have let it sit for a while.

Actually, because of government regulation gone wild, the insulation on the wiring in many vehicles is edible (along with many other car parts). The insulation on the wires is made from soybeans, corn etc. Animal feed. And rodents think they smell and taste very yummy.
You Lie! It's not government regulation gone wild because they were eating wires off my truck back in the 1970's

Chewed through my ignition coil harness wiring & my fuel injector harness. They also got walnuts jammed in between my engine block & valve covers. Chewed up lots of wiring insulation too.

80 bucks for two plastic connectors & 12 inches of wiring. Dodge wanted 300 bucks in labor lol. Twenty minutes of work for 300 bucks? GTFOH

View attachment 172432

Was moose with them? I have a friend Boris, him and his wife are trying to find them both.
Funny, you arent only that thinks you are a cartoon

You're a troll looking for a bridge to live under. An angry troll at that.
:itsok:

Chewed through my ignition coil harness wiring & my fuel injector harness. They also got walnuts jammed in between my engine block & valve covers. Chewed up lots of wiring insulation too.

80 bucks for two plastic connectors & 12 inches of wiring. Dodge wanted 300 bucks in labor lol. Twenty minutes of work for 300 bucks? GTFOH

View attachment 172432

Was moose with them? I have a friend Boris, him and his wife are trying to find them both.
Funny, you arent only that thinks you are a cartoon

You're a troll looking for a bridge to live under. An angry troll at that.
:itsok:

Don't you have a lawn to go stand on. :cuckoo:

Actually, because of government regulation gone wild, the insulation on the wiring in many vehicles is edible (along with many other car parts). The insulation on the wires is made from soybeans, corn etc. Animal feed. And rodents think they smell and taste very yummy.
You Lie! It's not government regulation gone wild because they were eating wires off my truck back in the 1970's
Back then it was a problem that happened to autos that were stationary for so long that rodents nested there. Today they can live on the car parts. They are rodent food. The problem is a kajillion times worse than it used to be because of regulation gone wildly stupid.

Damned squirrels ate through the neutral to my water pump. Why do they eat wire and why don't they get dead when they do?

Why do they eat wire? Because they have teeth that are constantly growing, and just like a cat needs to scratch to keep it's claws sharp and not too long, squirrels and other rodents do the same thing and have to chew to keep their teeth from getting too long and also to sharpen them.

The reason they don't "get dead" when they chew on the wire is because your ignition is off, and therefore has little to no power coursing through the system.

The "hot wires" that are constantly on for things like your door lights and the like? They don't carry enough current to hurt the animals, just annoy them and teach them to not eat that wire.

As far as the OP? Dude..................how long did you let your vehicle sit out there without using it? If it was there long enough to have them hide nuts and chew wires, you must have let it sit for a while.
It sat for about 3 days during a bad storm with temps below 0

View attachment 172432
Don't blame the squirrels.....it was Trump.:iagree:

I agreed with most of what you said, but I have to come to Gramps defense here.

when I had my issue with my car in 2009, I drove in at 8 AM, and when I left at 5 PM, the little bastards had already made themselves at home and chewed up the wiring. It was a particularly cold day, and the engine was nice and warm, which is probably why the squirrel moved in.

The pigtails & harnesses came in yesterday from Dodge. Gonna try not to make a bad situation worse & fix it myself today.

Wish me luck as the new harnesses have more wires than what are there now. Should be interesting!

Turns out the engine computer got fried when they chewed up the wires. FUCKING rat bastards are gonna cost me about a grand in total repairs and that is buying a used computer.

Got me a nice Chrysler 300 temp car though lol. Smooth ride but can't haul more than a coke & a grandkid lol

besides a computor mother board

i might at this point invest in a 22 or a nice 177 pellet rifle

and perhaps a couple of outside catz

might solve lots of future problems

You either need a BB gun, or rat poison pellets and peanut butter. Oh yeah, and a new wiring harness.

You could rig something up to where if they touched the body, they'd get shocked. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd just kill and eat 'um.

View attachment 172432

Same happened to us. :)
Put a few moths balls in a net bag ,inside the engine, they can't stand the smell.
Change it once a month and no more squirrels in your engine. :biggrin:

View attachment 172432
How long does a vehicle have to sit before they get the idea...thats good eatin/

View attachment 172432
How long does a vehicle have to sit before they get the idea...thats good eatin/

8 hrs. according to Joe. :)

View attachment 172432
I imagine the get in there for the warmth on sub freezing days

Back then it was a problem that happened to autos that were stationary for so long that rodents nested there. Today they can live on the car parts. They are rodent food. The problem is a kajillion times worse than it used to be because of regulation gone wildly stupid.
Do the regulations say manufacturers can't blend capsaicin rodent deterrent in the insulation & other parts?

here ya go

ust-add-squirrel-squirrel-helper-lasagna-arkansas-style-9369163.png

Forum List

Back