D-Day Vet Thanks Our President

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
These people know the horrors of war and how it should be a LAST RESORT. And I seriously doubt that Neo-Cons even care what this old veteran has to say and will probably slam him and his serveice to our nation.

What the D-Day Veteran Told Obama at the 70th Anniversary Commemoration

But one of them—pale and bent beneath his baseball cap as if it weighed him down—stepped forward and took Obama’s hand, and would not let him go until he had said his piece.

An old survivor has a kind of license to say whatever he wants, even to the president of the United States. Obama smiled warmly. But then, in front of the crowd and the world’s television cameras, he would. None of us in the crowd could hear.

His name, it turns out, is Irving Smolens, and he was only 19 when he took part in the Normandy landing. Afterward he spent much of his life as a buyer of women’s and children’s clothing in Massachusetts, leading a quiet, peaceful life with his family.

“What did you say to Obama?” I asked him.

“I thanked him for keeping us out of war,” said Smolens.

What the D-Day Veteran Told Obama at the 70th Anniversary Commemoration - The Daily Beast

No disrespect to the veteran, but Obama chose to double down on the war in Afghanistan and more troops died in Afghanistan under Obama's leadership than Bush's.

And on top of that Obama's weak foreign policy very well may lead to war in the near future, particularly against Iran.

These people know the horrors of war and how it should be a LAST RESORT. And I seriously doubt that Neo-Cons even care what this old veteran has to say and will probably slam him and his serveice to our nation.

But one of them—pale and bent beneath his baseball cap as if it weighed him down—stepped forward and took Obama’s hand, and would not let him go until he had said his piece.

An old survivor has a kind of license to say whatever he wants, even to the president of the United States. Obama smiled warmly. But then, in front of the crowd and the world’s television cameras, he would. None of us in the crowd could hear.

His name, it turns out, is Irving Smolens, and he was only 19 when he took part in the Normandy landing. Afterward he spent much of his life as a buyer of women’s and children’s clothing in Massachusetts, leading a quiet, peaceful life with his family.

What the D-Day Veteran Told Obama at the 70th Anniversary Commemoration - The Daily Beast

Good article, thank you.

No disrespect to the veteran, but Obama chose to double down on the war in Afghanistan and more troops died in Afghanistan under Obama's leadership than Bush's.

This is what I don't understand about the right. It's like Lucy and Charlie with the football. They coerce the President to do something, and when he decides to do it all of a sudden they're criticizing him.

In your eyes, the niggrah can't do anything right. He could cure cancer and Rush Limbaugh would bitch about it.

The truth?

Bush gets credit for the surge. Obama had to do what he had to do to get us the fuck out of a place we should have never gone.

Mitch McConnell: President Obama should credit George W. Bush on Iraq - Meredith Shiner - POLITICO.com

This is what I don't understand about the right. It's like Lucy and Charlie with the football. They coerce the President to do something, and when he decides to do it all of a sudden they're criticizing him.

In your eyes, the niggrah can't do anything right. He could cure cancer and Rush Limbaugh would bitch about it.

The truth?

Bush gets credit for the surge. Obama had to do what he had to do to get us the fuck out of a place we should have never gone.

Mitch McConnell: President Obama should credit George W. Bush on Iraq - Meredith Shiner - POLITICO.com

The surge in Iraq won us the war. The surge in Afghanistan failed.

Good article, thank you.

Most Vets who have been or saw combat know the horrors of war , it it' s only those who never served in a combat zone are the ones who are cheer leaders for war, them, along with the chicken hawk brigade 101st keyboard division of the white christian party.

The truth?

The surge in Iraq won us the war. The surge in Afghanistan failed.

You mean the same war in Iraq that got thousands of our soldiers killed for NO GOOD REASON?

And then there this one refused to meet with him. BREAKING: D-Day Vet REFUSES to Meet with Obama

Poor old coot. He's a teabagger and Ben Carson supporter.

And he has more courage and pride for this country in his pinky toe then you do in your whole body

Does he have more courage and pride for this country than you have? If yes, how much more? Let's say he is filled to the brim with courage and pride. All the way up to his balding head. Where is your courage and pride in comparison?

Forum List

Back