Cyber Bullying in School

Actually, this isn't recent news.

Bullying has been around since the beginning of mankind.

Its original objective was to prove that you were capable of producing the most powerful offspring. Now, it's more about social status; make fun of a "little guy", you get some "street credit".

But here is where the problem lies now... The "meek" are striking back. Columbine was the result of students, who were bullied, striking back.

Columbine High School massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So this isn't as much about protecting the students from the bullies, as much as it's about protecting the bullies from themselves... Food for thought.

Well, while there might be something to Columbine being the result of "bullying," the massacre wasn't committed by the "meek."

In fact, if anything they themselves were perpetraters of online bullying:

Early warning signs began to surface in 1996, when Eric Harris first created a private website on America Online. The original site was set up to host Doom levels that he and Dylan Klebold had created, mainly for friends. .......

Harris's site had few visitors, and caused no concern until late 1997, when Dylan Klebold gave the address to Brooks Brown, Harris's former friend. Brown's mother had filed numerous complaints with the Jefferson County Sheriff's office about Eric Harris, believing him to be dangerous. The website was filled with death threats towards Brooks,

Allow me to be more specific...
Columbine High School massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Early stories following the shootings charged that school administrators and teachers at Columbine had long condoned a climate of bullying by the so-called jocks or athletes, allowing an atmosphere of outright intimidation and resentment to fester which, they claimed, could have helped trigger the perpetrators' extreme violence. Reportedly, homophobic remarks were directed at Klebold and Harris.

Keep in mind my friend that I'm not defending these guys actions, I'm just explaining the origin of their motivation to kill.

You're explaining ONE POSSIBLE motive.

The killers began threatening to kill Brooks TWO YEARS before the Columbine Massacre. They themselves were on-line bullies, and hardly "meek." Evidence of this was clearly available on their Web-site.

Forum List

Back