Cutting the cable

YoursTruly

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2019
So I bought a top of the line Netgear hotspot, signed up for the only unlimited data plan around here, AT&T, which costs $100 per month. That was too high IMO, but getting Dish or Direct was more than that. I thought I'd give it a shot.
I get the Roku all hooked up and BAM, 30mbps of streaming!!!!!! I had more TV than I ever got with Dish, Cable or Direct. Some with commercials. But a LOT without commercials. (I hate commercials)
Local news, every network plus some I'd never knew about. Wished I'd switched to this years ago.
Lately, I've watched episodes of shows that I used to watch, from the first episodes (which are really cool). Things like Mash, Fresh Prince and many others. I love old Bogart movies, and there's a ton of them. Sherlock Holmes (another of my favs), are all there.
Plus that that aren't on some network, there's still Youtube (which has all the Sherlocks with Jeremy Grett)

And it only costs the $100 for the AT&T data service.

That was too high IMO, but getting Dish or Direct was more than that. I thought I'd give it a shot.

You wouldn't want to get Dish anyway. Their gear broke every two years and the last time it broke, they refused to come out to fix the problem unless I paid them $95 without even knowing what the problem was!

Then they tried to continue billing me for the program package I no longer got, so I totally cancelled the service, filed a complaint with the BBB, and they refused to come out and get their stuff, trying to get me to take it all apart, box it up and ship it to them.

Then when I wouldn't do that, they started trying to mail me bills for a couple hundred dollars for the broken receiver that no longer worked that they wouldn't take back. :smoke:

YoursTruly
..I've got a smart TV and Roku.....thousands of movies/channels/etc!! ...the majority of the movies are for the teeny boppers....but there's enough of the old ones
...and if I want to watch a certain movie, I can pay $2 or $3 for it.....but I usually buy a movie maybe once every 2 months
...I watch a lot of Youtube 70s shows...or 70s and 60s movies
...Pluto TV has a lot of classics .....Peacock is good

...yes, there are a lot of old TV shows.....Columbo, Battlestar Galactica1978, etc....they rotate them a lot
.it's all free, except for the inet, like you state

I also got Roku. A nearby friend has exactly the same service I do - ATT wifi for rural areas.With Roku, they get a gazillion stations and movies galore and pay ATT $60-ish a month.

I have unlimited talk, text and data as well as 30gb hotspot. My bill for one month of streaming was more than $300. Obviously, the data isn't unlimited. Its actually 100gb.

Needless to say, I sent the Roku back and am back to Directv. I rent discs from Netflix.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

I also got Roku. A nearby friend has exactly the same service I do - ATT wifi for rural areas.With Roku, they get a gazillion stations and movies galore and pay ATT $60-ish a month.

I have unlimited talk, text and data as well as 30gb hotspot. My bill for one month of streaming was more than $300. Obviously, the data isn't unlimited. Its actually 100gb.

Needless to say, I sent the Roku back and am back to Directv. I rent discs from Netflix.

why rent discs from netflix when you can stream the same movies?...

So I bought a top of the line Netgear hotspot, signed up for the only unlimited data plan around here, AT&T, which costs $100 per month. That was too high IMO, but getting Dish or Direct was more than that. I thought I'd give it a shot.
I get the Roku all hooked up and BAM, 30mbps of streaming!!!!!! I had more TV than I ever got with Dish, Cable or Direct. Some with commercials. But a LOT without commercials. (I hate commercials)
Local news, every network plus some I'd never knew about. Wished I'd switched to this years ago.
Lately, I've watched episodes of shows that I used to watch, from the first episodes (which are really cool). Things like Mash, Fresh Prince and many others. I love old Bogart movies, and there's a ton of them. Sherlock Holmes (another of my favs), are all there.
Plus that that aren't on some network, there's still Youtube (which has all the Sherlocks with Jeremy Grett)

I have had Roku for about 2 years and its great

But my AT&T bill is $53

I have had Roku for about 2 years and its great

But my AT&T bill is $53

Unlimited hotspot? How did you get that?

What I had to do to get unlimited data from AT&T. You buy the Netgear Hotspot on Amazon and take it to the AT&T store to sign up for the unlimited.
For some reason, you can't buy the hotspot at the AT&T store and get the unlimited plan. They'll only allow you the limited gig plan if you buy the hotspot there.
So for what ever reason, if you buy the hotspot somewhere else, they'll allow you the unlimited plan.

I, not the sales rep at the AT&T store understood it. But that's how it's done. (to get unlimited)

Plus that that aren't on some network, there's still Youtube (which has all the Sherlocks with Jeremy Grett

So I bought a top of the line Netgear hotspot, signed up for the only unlimited data plan around here, AT&T, which costs $100 per month. That was too high IMO, but getting Dish or Direct was more than thbat. I thought I'd give it a shot.

Att has a 1000 mbps unlimited data option that is only 60.00 per month, which I've been using for awhile now. If you want to take streaming to the next level, an Android streaming box like the Nividia Shield with a Kodi application, and an IPTV service with a VPN will offer pretty much anything out there, including PPV events and movies that are playing in theaters.

Last edited:
Att has a 1000 mbps unlimited data option that is only 60.00 per month, which I've been using for awhile now. If you want to take streaming to the next level, an Android streaming box like the Nividia Shield with a Kodi application, and an IPTV service with a VPN will offer pretty much anything out there, including PPV events and movies that are playing in theaters.

Can you link that plan? I'm not finding it. Or it wasn't available when I signed up. I've been on chat with AT&T for the last hour, and they said nothing about that plan.

Can you link that plan? I'm not finding it. Or it wasn't available when I signed up. I've been on chat with AT&T for the last hour, and they said nothing about that plan.

Here it is. There are 3 plans. Scroll to the bottom and you will see the 1000 mbps offer.

Here it is. There are 3 plans. Scroll to the bottom and you will see the 1000 mbps offer.

Yeah, that's not hotspot data. It's AT&T Fiber. Which is not available in my area. But, I did check it out and ended up signing up with AT&T for a new Galaxy S21 ultra, 2 gb (on the phone) and still keeping my hotspot with unlimited data. All for $140 month.. That's only a like $5 more than I'm paying for this POS walmart LG phone with straight talk.

Last edited:
Got rid of cable about 8 months ago. Haven't missed it. But it is nice to see cable when I'm traveling...

ROKU is great. One of the best ideas ever.

And it was founded by an A&M grad....odd.

streaming TV is much better than cable
you can watch what you want to watch when you want to watch it
you can pause it and finish watching it when ever you want, even days later
one of the great things is being able to find TV shows from the 60s and 70s
there is a huge library of things to find to watch
Youtube has a lot of stuff from people with hobbies and special interest stuff

We stopped getting any sort of TV service in 2012.

First of all, you get hundreds of redundant channels of complete shit. Absolutely nothing of value. Some of it is actually harmful to brain cells.

Second of all, some fraction of your bill is sent to shit like MSLSD, CNN and other sources of globalist corporate agitprop.

We get plenty of entertainment from ShitFlix, Hulu, and Amazon for free by signing up for free trials every few months and then canceling them.

We stopped getting any sort of TV service in 2012.

First of all, you get hundreds of redundant channels of complete shit. Absolutely nothing of value. Some of it is actually harmful to brain cells.

Second of all, some fraction of your bill is sent to shit like MSLSD, CNN and other sources of globalist corporate agitprop.

We get plenty of entertainment from ShitFlix, Hulu, and Amazon for free by signing up for free trials every few months and then canceling them.

I subscribe to Hulu. But with Hulu, I get a discount on Disney. Since I already have amazon prime, I get that for free. And I think I've getting showtime for a discounted price for having Prime. So for like $20 a month, I get 4 paid subscriptions for the price of 2.5. Not a bad deal. Especially when you consider what I was paying for Dish, plus the internet. Both of those together was well over $300 per month. Now I'm down to about $150 per month. But that's because my internet provider, the only one I can get here that's unlimited, is pretty steep in price.

Forum List

Back