Curbing Judicial Activism

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
In 1801, John Marshall was appointed Chief Justice, and he consistently tried to reduce any limits on federal power.

The courts have taken for themselves what did not belong to them: they pillaged the Constitution and the nation. As far back as 1793, the Supreme Court claimed jurisdiction over a sovereign state (Chisholm v. Georgia).
Justice Wilson went right for the throat: "To the Constitution of the United States the term SOVEREIGN, is totally unknown."
Chisholm v. Georgia | Natural Law, Natural Rights, and American Constitutionalism

1. "Writing in the Harvard Law Review in 1977, Supreme Court Justice William Brennan, Jr., exhorted state judges to embrace activist interpretations of the law. .... Brennan is rightly seen as one of the fathers of the “living Constitution,” under which judges continually reinterpret the nation’s fundamental law “in light of conditions existing in contemporary society.”
Brennan's Revenge by Steven Malanga, City Journal Spring 2014

2. Compare Brennan's idea that judges know what is best, no matter what the law says, to Chief Justice Robert's at this nomination:

"WASHINGTON — Chief Justice nominee John Roberts said Thursday there is no room for ideologues on the Supreme Court, declaring an “obligation to the Constitution” and to no other cause as he concluded three grueling days of confirmation testimony.
“If the Constitution says that the little guy should win, the little guy’s going to win in court before me,” Roberts told the Senate Judiciary Committee. “But if the Constitution says that the big guy should win, well, then the big guy’s going to win.” Roberts says he's not an ideologue - US news - The Changing Court | NBC News

The is the only correct view of one properly called a judge.

3. " State courts have construed what is traditionally known as “general welfare” language in state constitutions as another source of new economic rights.... The [NJ] court held that housing and shelter at government expense are necessary to the general welfare—even though the words “housing” and “shelter” never appear in the state constitution.... stretching the meaning of words so cavalierly, state courts and legal scholars never say who will actually pay for these new material rights.

a. Nor do the legal writings and court decisions ever question whether these entitlements establish perverse incentives. They ignore, for instance, how the vast expansion of welfare, starting in the late 1960s, was followed by the emergence of an ingrained, intergenerational poverty, as children born to welfare families became adults heading welfare households.

4. Constraining state judicial activism won’t be easy. Reform must begin in law schools themselves, where faculties are overwhelmingly liberal and friendly to an activist judiciary (as long as it’s liberal in its activism). .... surveyed the nation’s top law schools and found that only 13 percent of professors identified as Republicans.

5. State-level reform should focus on judicial selection, a process that varies greatly from state to state. Judicial elections, once among the sleepiest precincts of electoral politics, have gotten far more contentious, thanks mainly to the efforts of special interests, especially trial lawyers, to elect liberal, plaintiff-friendly judges.

6. Voters also need to understand the electoral implications in states where governors select judges. Too often, conservative and moderate governors have named judges to their highest courts who wind up being activists. ....Chris Christie made reform of the New Jersey Supreme Court—perhaps the most activist and costly court in the nation—a central theme in his successful 2009 gubernatorial campaign, and he has said that restraining the court’s activism may be the most important component of turning around the Garden State.

7. Without new constraints on state judicial activism, voters can expect more fiscal pain. ....the needs of an aging population and workforce will strain budgets for years to come.... state courts helped lay the groundwork for it with decades of judicial spending mandates that left governors and legislatures in some states with little fiscal room to maneuver. Unless state judges return to a more cautious approach to constitutional language, states and municipalities will find it ever harder to devise sound budgets."
Brennan's Revenge by Steven Malanga, City Journal Spring 2014

Dr. Thomas Sowell, in “Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One,” challenges individuals to analyze not only their short term (Stage One) impact but to also think ahead to their long term (Stage Two, Three, etc) impact. Politicians, and this includes activist judages, do not think beyond Stage One because they will be praised (and elected) for the short term benefits but will not be held accountable much later when the long term consequences appear.

Such judges are self-centered viper in our midst.

In your opinion, was the Hobby Lobby case decided correctly?

Have you seen this? Do you find it bothersome?
Part of the secret to Scalia's success, his critics say, is the makeup of the DC District Court and DC Circuit Court, which have been controlled by conservative judges. "This right-wing group in the DC Circuit is one of the worst cases of judicial activism," Frank says. "They pretend judges should be restrained, but you have several cases of them substituting their economic judgment and making decisions that affect public policy rules." After Senate Democrats changed the filibuster rules last December, Obama's long-blocked nominees to the DC Circuit Court of Appeals were finally approved, tilting it to a 7-to-4 liberal-conservative split. But consumer advocates shouldn't pop the champagne too soon: It was an earlier Obama appointee who wrote the decision overturning the commodities rule.

That could be a sign of what's to come, particularly as Scalia sets his sights on the Volcker rule, a cornerstone of Dodd-Frank that is designed to keep banks from becoming "too big to fail" by limiting their investments in hedge funds and other risky activities.

Did You Know That Antonin Scalia's Son Is Sabotaging Wall Street Reform? | Mother Jones

In your opinion, was the Hobby Lobby case decided correctly?

Consider the following.

The decision in question states that religious folks do not have to participate, against their conscience, in providing a method that can be abortive.

Imagine the reverse scenario: a court that decided that an employer had the right to demand that his employees read the Bible, as long as he paid for it.

Would you agree to such a decision?

I asked if you agreed with the decision. It's a simple yes or no.

Part of the secret to Scalia's success, his critics say, is the makeup of the DC District Court and DC Circuit Court, which have been controlled by conservative judges. "This right-wing group in the DC Circuit is one of the worst cases of judicial activism," Frank says. "They pretend judges should be restrained, but you have several cases of them substituting their economic judgment and making decisions that affect public policy rules." After Senate Democrats changed the filibuster rules last December, Obama's long-blocked nominees to the DC Circuit Court of Appeals were finally approved, tilting it to a 7-to-4 liberal-conservative split. But consumer advocates shouldn't pop the champagne too soon: It was an earlier Obama appointee who wrote the decision overturning the commodities rule.

That could be a sign of what's to come, particularly as Scalia sets his sights on the Volcker rule, a cornerstone of Dodd-Frank that is designed to keep banks from becoming "too big to fail" by limiting their investments in hedge funds and other risky activities.

Did You Know That Antonin Scalia's Son Is Sabotaging Wall Street Reform? | Mother Jones

Do you find it bothersome that activist judges presume that their views trump law, and that they can decide what economic penalties they can enact?

That is, after all, the essential question in the OP.

I think we are way beyond any of that

the people love them judges over riding the will of the people, as long as it's in their favor

just look how they reacted to the supreme courts latest decision

then we have a thread claiming some judge , is a "rock star" for stepping on the people he's suppose to serve

Do you find it bothersome that activist judges presume that their views trump law, and that they can decide what economic penalties they can enact?

That is, after all, the essential question in the OP.

Did you or did you not find that bothersome?

I asked you to consider the reverse.

Why the fear of responding to same?

Simple question, PC.

Here, let me provide the answer that you are too cowardly to....

No, you would be violently opposed to the requirement that Bibles be the prerogative of the employer.....even though he might have made the requirement clear at the offer of employment.
The individual might simply say, 'I'll seek employment elsewhere.'

After all, the employer nominally owns the business.

Yet religion-haters, and Liberal fascists would mandate that his conscience has no place in American society.

I asked you to consider the reverse.

Why the fear of responding to same?

Simple question, PC.

Here, let me provide the answer that you are too cowardly to....

No, you would be violently opposed to the requirement that Bibles be the prerogative of the employer.....even though he might have made the requirement clear at the offer of employment.
The individual might simply say, 'I'll seek employment elsewhere.'

After all, the employer nominally owns the business.

Yet religion-haters, and Liberal fascists would mandate that his conscience has no place in American society.

I didn't ask you how you felt about as in your hormonal rage. I asked a simple question.

Simple question, PC.

Still afraid to respond to the scenario that your doom your worldview?

As Theodore Roosevelt said of William McKinley, you have “no more backbone than a chocolate éclair.”

Simple question, PC.

I see that 'simple' is a description of your ability....
I believe I've exposed what passes for thinking in your case.

If you develop the courage.....feel free to respond to the scenario I've provided.

Still afraid to respond to the scenario that your doom your worldview?

As Theodore Roosevelt said of William McKinley, you have “no more backbone than a chocolate éclair.”

Simple question, PC.

I see that 'simple' is a description of your ability....
I believe I've exposed what passes for thinking in your case.

If you develop the courage.....feel free to respond to the scenario I've provided.

Simple question, PC.

Never lose sight of the fact that activist judges superimpose their views in place of laws, even in place of the Constitution.

8. A reminder of the mandate that judges base their decisions on the words of the Constitution, the only document which Americans have agreed to be governed by, is in the essay by Chief Justice Rehnquist:

"All who have studied law, and many who have not, are familiar
with John Marshall’s classic defense of judicial review in
his opinion for the Court in Marbury v. Madison.
The ultimate source of authority in this Nation, Marshall said, is not Congress, not the states, not for that matter the Supreme Court of the United States. The people are the ultimate source of authority; they have parceled out the authority that originally resided entirely with them by adopting the original Constitution and by later amending it.

They have granted some authority to the federal government and have reserved authority not granted it to the states or to the people individually.

[The view of an activist judge] seems instead to be based upon the proposition that federal judges, perhaps judges as a whole, have a role of their own, quite independent of popular will, to play in solving society’s problems.

Once we have abandoned the idea that the authority of the courts to declare laws unconstitutional is somehow tied to the language of the Constitution that the people adopted, a judiciary exercising the power of judicial review appears in a quite different light.

Judges then are no longer the keepers of the covenant; instead they are a small group of fortunately situated people with a roving commission to second-guess Congress, state legislatures, and state and federal administrative officers concerning what is best for the country.

Surely there is no justification for a third legislative branch in the federal government, and there is even less justification for a federal legislative branch’s reviewing on a policy basis the laws enacted by the legislatures of the fifty states."
THE NOTION OF A LIVING CONSTITUTION*
WILLIAM H. REHNQUIST
http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol29_No2_Rehnquist.pdf

Yet.....these unlawful, corrupt wearers of black robes do just that.

Yes, she obviously agrees with the decision. Constitutionally it's obviously the right decision . . . being that the mandate is a clear violation of natural and constitutional law.

And your evasion tells us all we need to know about your politics.

What don't you understand about religious liberty, free-association and private property rights?

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Forum List

Back