CRP...Farm aid and crop reduction program

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RodISHI, Jan 8, 2009.

1. RodISHI

RodISHI Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Considering the world has so many people that are going hungry and the American citizens are already sending massive amounts of aid into humanitarian projects, wouldn't make sense to pay farmers for crops and distribute these crops as to those in dire need around the world?

It makes more sense to me to feed the hungry in the world verses let the down trodden of the world go hungry and then go to war with the ones who are in need?

2. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,815
    The government should do this WHY?? For more handouts?? :rolleyes:

Makes more sense for charitable organizations to use their donations to buy what they need from the farmers who produce...

Again.. more suggestions for more taxation to pay for more goods that go to someone else... let alone someone else who is not an American citizen...

3. RodISHI

RodISHI Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Dave they are already spending the money on CRP and aid. Why not spend it in a manner that is not wasteful?

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,594
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he ends up invading your favorite fishing hole.

Hit a man with a fish and he forgets he's hungry.

But, hit him hard enough with a really big fish, and that man's fish deficiency is no longer yours nor anybody else's problem.

5. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,647
    Well that's ....interesting...

We already subsidize our farmers to the nth degree. One of the reasons we encourage them not to over-produce is to keep them in business. We take a certain amount of surplus and use it to subsidize the foodstamp program, and we give some of it away to the poor of America and abroad.

6. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,815
    Simple.. cut that stupid spending... don't continue to spend it... the government does not need to give more handouts

7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,647
    They have to because it keeps the farmers from selling off their lands and halting the production of food.

These subsidies are the way they've sneaked in all the restrictive legislation that hobbles land owners.

8. RodISHI

RodISHI Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +836
    So can we teach these children how to fish/farm their own food during in the droughts?
    Maria In Egu

Or do we just let them die before they get a chance to learn how to care for themselves? Haiti, Zimbabwa

Or maybe it is more human to allow situations like this to take care of the problems? Congo South Africa

We pay farmers not to grow crops:
    CNN, As children starve, world struggles for solution. Story Highlights; Global food system can't survive, author warns; Catastrophic weather and rise in oil

9. RodISHI

RodISHI Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Farmers have been selling off their lands for years now to investors (mostly bankers) who only want a good source of government welfare.

Like it or not you are subsidizing bankers to not use useful land. Very soon you will be subsidizing even more investment guru types to not grow useful crops and get paid for growing alchol crops, plus energy credits, etc, etc....

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,647
    I don't do it. I've been bitching about it since I was old enough to know what was going on.

BTW, I am a part of the farm culture. My sister and her husband farmed for years, his family has farmed for generations, my ex and his family were farmers.

My family didn't farm so much as work in the woods...but they owned land. Which was snapped up by a pittance by the government and turned into a wildlife area.