Critical Thinking Abjured

Even accepting that some of that is jargon (I don't accept that 'critical thinking' is jargon but, be that as it may), this part is pretty clear;

We can't have students re-evaluating their 'fixed beliefs' or thinking independently now, can we?

So rather than education, you favor what we have.

So, you can't answer me then.

I did answer you....I'm not responsible for your lack of ability to understand the answer.

I did answer you....I'm not responsible for your lack of ability to understand the answer.

No you didn't - you attributed a position to me that I have never stated.
AND it had nothing to do with my post.

Like I said, you had no answer.

"So rather than education, you favor what we have."

Answer this.....true or false.

It sounds like Hirsch's first tack on education is to pretend he's a conservative, and maybe that's the best approach yet to reforming schools. If Dewey and others had only taken the conservative route to present their liberal ideas they would have had more success. Those that believe education is an educational issue, at least in America, may be doomed to failure, education is first a political problem, then educational, and maybe that's Hirsch's approach, take some liberal methods of education and turn them into conservative methods. Easy enough to do.

It sounds like Hirsch's first tack on education is to pretend he's a conservative, and maybe that's the best approach yet to reforming schools. If Dewey and others had only taken the conservative route to present their liberal ideas they would have had more success. Those that believe education is an educational issue, at least in America, may be doomed to failure, education is first a political problem, then educational, and maybe that's Hirsch's approach, take some liberal methods of education and turn them into conservative methods. Easy enough to do.

"If Dewey and others had only taken the conservative route to present their liberal ideas they would have had more success. Those that believe education is an educational issue, at least in America, may be doomed to failure, education is first a political problem,..."

I hope you realize that John Dewey was a communist, and the 'education' he prescribed is for a totalitarian nation.

1. In the early years after the Bolshevik Revolution, the communists used manipulations, such as the Potemkin Villages, to persuade the world how admirable and successful the revolution had been. One technique was to invite prominent American and British leftists to take carefully planned tours. And these ‘Potemkin Progressives,’ for the most part, behaved and thought just as they were meant to.

2. John Dewey was one such Potemkin Progressive. And this man is the greatest single influence on American schoolchildren; his books have been used to train generations of teachers. Even while the Russian civil war was still going on (some seven million killed between 1917 and 1921), Dewey’s books were translated into Russian by the Bolsheviks: they immediately recognized the importance of his ideas to the Soviet collective communist state.

a. 1918, “School’s of Tomorrow,” published in Russian.
b. 1919, “How We Think,” published in Russian.
c. 1920, “The School and Society,” published in Russian.
d. 1921, “Democracy and Education,” published in Russian.
The English version, of course, became a bible at Columbia Teacher’s College.

"If Dewey and others had only taken the conservative route to present their liberal ideas they would have had more success. Those that believe education is an educational issue, at least in America, may be doomed to failure, education is first a political problem,..."

I hope you realize that John Dewey was a communist, and the 'education' he prescribed is for a totalitarian nation.

1. In the early years after the Bolshevik Revolution, the communists used manipulations, such as the Potemkin Villages, to persuade the world how admirable and successful the revolution had been. One technique was to invite prominent American and British leftists to take carefully planned tours. And these ‘Potemkin Progressives,’ for the most part, behaved and thought just as they were meant to.

2. John Dewey was one such Potemkin Progressive. And this man is the greatest single influence on American schoolchildren; his books have been used to train generations of teachers. Even while the Russian civil war was still going on (some seven million killed between 1917 and 1921), Dewey’s books were translated into Russian by the Bolsheviks: they immediately recognized the importance of his ideas to the Soviet collective communist state.

a. 1918, “School’s of Tomorrow,” published in Russian.
b. 1919, “How We Think,” published in Russian.
c. 1920, “The School and Society,” published in Russian.
d. 1921, “Democracy and Education,” published in Russian.
The English version, of course, became a bible at Columbia Teacher’s College.

Of course Dewey was a communist, how many Americans were not, and are not, communists? I still say Joseph McCarthy was the greatest American communist, talk about clever the way he led people to believe he was anticommunist, surely a sign. I think the power Cohen had over McCarthy, was the threat to expose him as a communist, and that threat is what drove McCarthy to drink. If we discover McCarthy drank vodka, then we got him cold.

What sort of stupid question is that?
I'll answer at your level then; "Education is good".

What I have noticed is that all the technology kids have has hurt them because whenever they have a break what do they do? Text or grab their iPod. Technology is backfiring and hurting our society. COMBINE that with the blatant lack of parenting and yes our schools are failing. BUT THEY are only part of the problem.

Forum List

Back