Criminalizing unemployed - Sen. Hatch wants unemployed to face mandatory drug tests

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bfgrn, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Sen. Hatch wants unemployed to face mandatory drug tests - The Hill

Hey Orrin, why not just use ankle monitors?

WHO will pay for this expensive 'program'? Fiscal conservatism is just a code word. It is all about trying to turn democracy into an aristocracy. Hatch's 'program' would help to perpetuate the perception that there's "a two-class system where if you're unemployed, you no longer have the same rights as other people. It kind of criminalizes being jobless, just like over the past 20 years or so we've criminalized being homeless. That seems to be the answer for a lot of Republicans; just go ahead and go to war on the problem instead of dealing with it in a more human way."

See the only reason that someone doesn't have a job in this thriving economy is because they are drug addicts. Hatch is just trying to help.

What with David Walker's wistful call for a return to debtor's prison and this hideous attack on the unemployed it's evident that the fatuous elites in this country are so out of touch that they really have no idea how obscene their aristocratic braying sounds to average Americans. or perhaps they do, and just don't care. If your point is to pretend that 10% official unemployment is simply a reflection of the bad character of the unemployed so you can protect the wealth of the ruling class, then turning every unemployed person into a suspected criminal and potential drug user makes sense.

[​IMG]

RefRef

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  2. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    I don't agree with THIS. If you are collecting UE isnurance that's money you paid in. I am however pro drug testing welfare fags.

3. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,641
    why is that crminalizing? lots of people have to get drug tested to get their paychecks. nurses, policemen, firemen, taxi drivers,, come to mind.

4. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Being unemployed at the moment and not a drug user, I say bring it on.

But, I do agree who is going to pay for this? Gees, I thought Hatch was a fiscal conservative. Does this sound like fiscal conservatism?

Immie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    I don't agree with it in those instances either. I find it interesting that people on the right that screech 'police state', are the ones that support police state methods.

6. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    One problem Willow, it is the employer that pays for those people to be tested not the taxpayer.

Even though you will surely say that for the unemployed the government is the employer, I have to disagree or at least state openly that it is the employer (that can afford the costs of drug tests) that is footing the bill for these tests. In this case, the U.S. Government cannot afford the costs.

Immie

7. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Why don't you agree with it? You want people who might be on drugs running around with a badge? I don't. Just for example.

8. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    That's fine, if you choose to endorse it. Just don't come back and say we have too much government in our lives. It is an invasion of privacy.

9. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,415
    I never knew anyone who was drug-free who gave a rat's ass about a drug test just like I never knew someone who wasn't prone to drunk driving worrying about DUI sobriety checkpoints.

10. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Then you don't know me. It amazes me how fascists don't know they are fascist.