Criminal Justice Cycle Must End: Time for Treatment, Not More Prisons

There is another cycle that needs to be addressed. That cycle where the community and government seem to go from one extreem to another. For a while treatment programs spring up everywhere, and the drive is to give help. Then that seems to fail so more prisons are built. This goes back and forth over years. Finally there seems to be a combination of both at work.

The cycle that article is talking about is one that has not actually been in place for "four decades. " It was not an "adopted" strategy, unless only in one town or community. That information is not correct.

That "Criminal Justice Cycle" should have been addressed years ago there by the community. We cannot blame the government for everything. The community has some responsibility. Private care and treatment is certainly the main offering available in other states and cities.

You may not have noticed, that "cycle" is not only related to drug abusers. Notice, all criminals go through that cycle. They all have a recidivism rate that follows them. About 33% of all criminals (including drud abuser) return to prison.

Treatment is not cheap, but we cannot expect the government to foot the bill for everyone's mistakes. The only ones who actually have successful treatment programs are those who want to be in the treatment. If treatment is mandatory, many Paroled offenders just rebel and don't want to be there. That treatment will not usually be successful for them.

Also, this problem is NOT a problem "of color." That is just a "victimstance" excuse. I would have to say that there are no "white only" treatment programs out there. As to the costs, there are helps, but no one should be required to foot the whole bill for anyone.

Having been a Parole Officer, (retired) I have seen these issues. I can see the hurt, and feelings of hopelessness.

I believe drug abusers do need help, but they cannot "blame" anyone for their problem. Incarcerate the dealers for long periods of time, and then require that they attend sessions weekly where they have to hear the stories like the one in the article, directly from the victims. Require that these dealers, and even users go and tell their stories to juvenile offenders, schools and other places. They should have to do this for a couple of years. Hearing the hurt they caused and the hurt they brought upon themselves is some of the best therapy.

There are programs out there. The costs are high, usually because of greed. That too needs to be addressed, however, the success rates of drug therapy programs are not impressive anyway. The services the lady in the story was given was far more than drug treatment.

So, stop the blame game. Community, get in there and do something about it. Also, remember it is not a problem of color, it is a problem of crime.

Forum List

Back