Creationists aren’t happy that Pope Francis ripped their worldview

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Unofficially through years of Catholic school I already had the idea the Church figured God created the universe and set things in motion.

Do I understand right that the Pope is also holding out another idea that 40,000 years ago or so God may have created man? Or blessed a chimp and made man?

Imagine Moses trying to explain the big bang to a bunch of uneducated Isrealites fleeing Egypt. The simple 7 day story is soo mjch easier and basically in order.

Unofficially through years of Catholic school I already had the idea the Church figured God created the universe and set things in motion.

Do I understand right that the Pope is also holding out another idea that 40,000 years ago or so God may have created man? Or blessed a chimp and made man?

Imagine Moses trying to explain the big bang to a bunch of uneducated Isrealites fleeing Egypt. The simple 7 day story is soo mjch easier and basically in order.

moses couldn't have explained the big bang to a bunch of uneducated Israelites fleeing from Egypt. that is why kabbalists believe that the bible is basically the kiddie book version of reality., explaining things to that group of desert people in a way they could understand. it is also why I was always taught that the bible is mostly allegory.

The pope’s strong expression of support for the scientific origins of the universe and the theory of evolution predictably upset creationists.

“Following in the tradition of other recent popes, Pope Francis has compromised biblical authority in favor of man’s ideas in the area of origins,” complained Ken Ham, president of the Answers in Genesis ministry.

Creationists aren 8217 t happy that Pope Francis ripped their worldview

This has been Catholic Doctrine for over 50 years.

The pope’s strong expression of support for the scientific origins of the universe and the theory of evolution predictably upset creationists.

“Following in the tradition of other recent popes, Pope Francis has compromised biblical authority in favor of man’s ideas in the area of origins,” complained Ken Ham, president of the Answers in Genesis ministry.

My impression is that Catholics were largely in denial about this.

We were told it in grade school, right before we started biology in 8th Grade. The pastor came in and explained it to us.

Creationism is more part of the fundamentalist protestant side of Christianity, there is very little of it in Catholicism.

The far right fundamentalist wings of Christianity are in denial of this not mainstream Christians or denominations.

your impression was wrong. or i guess more accurately i have no idea what would have informed that opinion

I have never met a Catholic who denied either evolution or the BBT. Wherever did you get this impression?

your impression was wrong. or i guess more accurately i have no idea what would have informed that opinion
My impression was based upon a number of polls / studies that showed a truly frightening picture of Americans and their attitudes toward science vs. religion.

The far right fundamentalist wings of Christianity are in denial of this not mainstream Christians or denominations.

Quite true. It's just easier to argue the extremist position, so the preference is to pretend it is the only position.

My impression was based upon a number of polls / studies that showed a truly frightening picture of Americans and their attitudes toward science vs. religion.
not specific to catholics though? i'm not denying that there are lots of people out there that deny science, just that mainstream catholics aren't part of that group.

That is an overly broad subject, not the more specific one of Catholics and the belief in creationism. Are we making general assumptions here?

I have never met a Catholic who denied either evolution or the BBT. Wherever did you get this impression?
I've met Catholics who actually did deny evolution and were staunch YEC'ers.

Wherever did you get your impressions?

not specific to catholics though? i'm not denying that there are lots of people out there that deny science, just that mainstream catholics aren't part of that group.

One quibble, one cannot deny science, science is a process. Deny scientific theories is more accurate.

by going to mass - not to answer for marty

The old "I have met" thing. I have met FORMER Catholics who embrace creationism, they had gone over to more fundementalist protestant churches.

One quibble, one cannot deny science, science is a process. Deny scientific theories is more accurate.
Fair point.

by going to mass - not to answer for marty

No worries. Again, I was TOLD by the parish pastor that evolution and cosmology are in no way against Catholic Doctrine. We were told to give the How over to modern Scientific theory, and leave the Why to the the Church.

Forum List

Back