Courts in Florida knock down "Terry's Law"..

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=0&aid=923044533_breakingnews_story

I was just reading this article about Terry Schaivo and feeling so bad for her. I don't understand the drive behind her husband being so insistent when he has moved on with his life. Her parents have said they would pay for everything. I once heard her parents on t.v. saying there was some money in it for him somehow. I do not believe you can go on just the word of her husband that she wants the plug pulled. No one knows that for sure.

krisy said:

I was just reading this article about Terry Schaivo and feeling so bad for her. I don't understand the drive behind her husband being so insistent when he has moved on with his life. Her parents have said they would pay for everything. I once heard her parents on t.v. saying there was some money in it for him somehow. I do not believe you can go on just the word of her husband that she wants the plug pulled. No one knows that for sure.

I see two possibilities. If Terry Schaivo had expressed a desire not to be kept alive in a vegetative state, then her husband is doing the right thing. Neither my wife nor I want to be kept alive in such a manner. If she were injured and became practically brain dead, I would feel duty bound to make sure her wishes were respected. I can only imagine what a terrible responsibility that must be.

The other possibility is that Terry Schaivo's husband caused her injury and wants her dead for fear that she may recover and incriminate him. In which case I hope he rots in hell.

Merlin1047 said:
I see two possibilities. If Terry Schaivo had expressed a desire not to be kept alive in a vegetative state, then her husband is doing the right thing. Neither my wife nor I want to be kept alive in such a manner. If she were injured and became practically brain dead, I would feel duty bound to make sure her wishes were respected. I can only imagine what a terrible responsibility that must be.

The other possibility is that Terry Schaivo's husband caused her injury and wants her dead for fear that she may recover and incriminate him. In which case I hope he rots in hell.

I agree,it's just that I don't know that I believe what she is in is a vegetative state. Her eyes follow things,she smiles. i think something is going on in her brain. How does anyone know for sure that she isn't understanding what is said to her. I also think starving someone to death should be agaonst the law no matter what. Apparently Florida court doesn't think so. It disgustsme,the thought of her starving to death.

The Florida court didn't rule on the merits of the case, they ruled that the law violated the separation of powers as outlined in the Florida Constitution.

The legislature essentially appointed Jeb Bush as God and the court had a slight problem with that.

acludem

acludem said:
The Florida court didn't rule on the merits of the case, they ruled that the law violated the separation of powers as outlined in the Florida Constitution.

The legislature essentially appointed Jeb Bush as God and the court had a slight problem with that.

acludem

Yeah the court tends to have problems with that. Besides Moveon.org has already established the President is God because he is causing the hurricanes that are hitting Florida. Glad im not them though i wouldnt want to commit Blasphemy.

I actually agree with ACLUDem on this one. Bush overstepped his boundries and interfered with proper protocols in the checks and balances of gov't power by getting involved in this. He did so because it was a "big media" item and he thought he would score some points.

As someone familiar with severe and profound disabilities, I can say with complete confidence that while Terry Schiavo's actions (the smiling, etc) might indicate some brain function...they could just as easily be unconscious reactions to slight stimulus, not a conscious reaction as her parents and family are claiming.

If her husband is telling the truth, than he is fighting for this because it was what his wife wanted. Ask yourself, if your spouse or a loved one said to you..."This is very serious to me. I do not want to live like that. Please do not let me live like that." Wouldn't you do everything in your power to help them?

The idea that he can just "hand her over" to her parents would be shirking the promise he claims he made to her...

This is a troubling case, both sides have good points...but, as ACLU said...Jeb Bush should not have been involved in the ways in which he was.

Gem said:
I actually agree with ACLUDem on this one. Bush overstepped his boundries and interfered with proper protocols in the checks and balances of gov't power by getting involved in this. He did so because it was a "big media" item and he thought he would score some points.

You are incorrect in your assessment of the motivation for Gov Bush's actions. He stepped in not because it was a media event, but because the life of a human being hung in the balance. Without his intervention, feeding tubes would have been removed and Terry Schaivo would have begun the process of starving to death. What a barbaric way to kill someone. And make no mistake about it, that is exactly what the hospital and her husband proposed. I don't know if you are sincere in your opinion or if you're just another blind liberal using this poor woman's situation as a means of slamming a conservative. I'm not making an accusation, let's just say that I'm a bit suspicious, given the recent behavior of many libs.

Terry Schaivo cannot feed herself. Otherwise her body functions normally, with the obvious exception of her brain. You yourself admitted in your post that her reactions could be conscious. Will you kill this woman based on your GUESS that her reactions are simply autonomic?

The opinion you expressed in your post ignores two very basic tenets;

One - you should consider very carefully before agreeing with ACLUDEM on anything. His viewpoint tends to be extremely narrow and focused on legalistic nitpicking. He also appears to base most of his opinions on ultra liberal philosophies. I believe that his criticism of Jeb Bush is based more on the fact that Bush is a conservative Republican rather than any point of law. Finally, in true ACLU fashion, he tends to ignore the elements of morality and justice in this case and focuses instead on petty legalities.

Two - this case demonstrates once again the importance of having a valid living will. Had Terry Schaivo executed such a document, I believe that even her parents would acquiesce to her expressed wishes.

Finally, I want to pose a question to everyone. We decry euthanasia as immoral and unethical. If a doctor were to give Terry Schaivo a shot that would stop her heart, that doctor would go to prison. Yet we will allow a feeding tube to be removed and watch while it takes days or weeks for starvation and dehydration to cause a person to deteriorate and die. Starvation is perhaps one of the cruelest ways to die, yet that is acceptable and euthanasia is not. Why?

Merlin1047 said:
You are incorrect in your assessment of the motivation for Gov Bush's actions. He stepped in not because it was a media event, but because the life of a human being hung in the balance. Without his intervention, feeding tubes would have been removed and Terry Schaivo would have begun the process of starving to death. What a barbaric way to kill someone. And make no mistake about it, that is exactly what the hospital and her husband proposed. I don't know if you are sincere in your opinion or if you're just another blind liberal using this poor woman's situation as a means of slamming a conservative. I'm not making an accusation, let's just say that I'm a bit suspicious, given the recent behavior of many libs.

Terry Schaivo cannot feed herself. Otherwise her body functions normally, with the obvious exception of her brain. You yourself admitted in your post that her reactions could be conscious. Will you kill this woman based on your GUESS that her reactions are simply autonomic?

The opinion you expressed in your post ignores two very basic tenets;

One - you should consider very carefully before agreeing with ACLUDEM on anything. His viewpoint tends to be extremely narrow and focused on legalistic nitpicking. He also appears to base most of his opinions on ultra liberal philosophies. I believe that his criticism of Jeb Bush is based more on the fact that Bush is a conservative Republican rather than any point of law. Finally, in true ACLU fashion, he tends to ignore the elements of morality and justice in this case and focuses instead on petty legalities.

Two - this case demonstrates once again the importance of having a valid living will. Had Terry Schaivo executed such a document, I believe that even her parents would acquiesce to her expressed wishes.

Finally, I want to pose a question to everyone. We decry euthanasia as immoral and unethical. If a doctor were to give Terry Schaivo a shot that would stop her heart, that doctor would go to prison. Yet we will allow a feeding tube to be removed and watch while it takes days or weeks for starvation and dehydration to cause a person to deteriorate and die. Starvation is perhaps one of the cruelest ways to die, yet that is acceptable and euthanasia is not. Why?

My short answer to that would be "because people want to believe in miracles".

dilloduck said:
My short answer to that would be "because people want to believe in miracles".

Okay, I can accept that. But when the decision has been made to remove a feeding tube, that is saying that this person cannot recover. So why force that individual to undergo a brutal and totally inhumane dying process?

Merlin1047 said:
Okay, I can accept that. But when the decision has been made to remove a feeding tube, that is saying that this person cannot recover. So why force that individual to undergo a brutal and totally inhumane dying process?

No one wants to accept responsibilty for actually killing her?

krisy said:

Her husband has many reasons $$$$$$mucho dinero. Pretty sad, even worse is she is for the most part alert and moving around, it's not as though she is in a coma just lying there.

Bonnie said:
Her husband has many reasons $$$$$$mucho dinero. Pretty sad, even worse is she is for the most part alert and moving around, it's not as though she is in a coma just lying there.

I'm afraid we will never know the truth on this one. If she truly told him that she would not want to be kept alive in such a situation, wouldn't he be merely protecting her wishes?

Also opens up the bigger question---Is death such a BAD thing or merely the start of a new GOOD thing ?

dilloduck said:
I'm afraid we will never know the truth on this one. If she truly told him that she would not want to be kept alive in such a situation, wouldn't he be merely protecting her wishes?

Also opens up the bigger question---Is death such a BAD thing or merely the start of a new GOOD thing ?

True but the problem is there is no written documentation of her wishes, so all assertions on the husbands part are meerly heersay. The fact that her parents are willing to assume costs and responsibility for her care, and the fact that the husband stands to inherit I think some 700,000 dollars when she actually dies makes me very suspect of his motives being less than respectful of her wishes and more interested in his wallet. :dunno:

Bonnie said:
True but the problem is there is no written documentation of her wishes, so all assertions on the husbands part are meerly heersay. The fact that her parents are willing to assume costs and responsibility for her care, and the fact that the husband stands to inherit I think some 700,000 dollars when she actually dies makes me very suspect of his motives being less than respectful of her wishes and more interested in his wallet. :dunno:

could be but it's not like he caused her condition or anything. One can't prove his motives are money simply because the law has determined that he will inherit it. Impossibly to determine but interesting to discuss

Merlin1047 said:
Way to open a can of worms...Merlin.
I think this would be a great thread topic in itself.

Yes, some decry euthanasia as immoral and unethical but it's accepted by many.
In Georgia and other states lethal injection (euthanasia) is the method of execution.
So, one would have to wonder, if it's acceptable because it's kind, gentle and humane
for a criminal why not for everyone?

dilloduck said:
could be but it's not like he caused her condition or anything. One can't prove his motives are money simply because the law has determined that he will inherit it. Impossibly to determine but interesting to discuss

True!!

This case isn't about euthanasia. This woman would be dead if it wasn't for the machines keeping her alive. Jeb Bush and the religious right accuse doctors of "playing God" by removing feeding tubes, etc and letting people die. Isn't keeping someone who otherwise would be dead alive by means of a machine "playing God"?

acludem

Forum List

Back