Court upholds warrantless surveillance of U.S. citizens under Section 702

The U.S. federal appeals court has ruled in United States v. Mohamud, a case that began with a 2010 holiday bomb plot and will end with unique implications for the private digital communications of American citizens.

Let's just accept this and give up some more of our privacy, why lets just live in a glass house and tell the world everything we do. Oh wait we already do. But the trendy's need to feel safe and secure.

I'm just as concerned about abuses of Sect 702 as you are. Maybe more, because I have an appreciation of what the NSA can do. BUT --- there were loopholes in that this kid was a FOREIGN NATIONAL student whose communications were intercepted first on INTERNATIONAL traffic and NOT purely domestic surveillance within the US.

It's important because it's one of the only cases VERIFIED where 702 was actually used for collection. But the collection was on a suspect non-citizen with probably good cause for tapping him..

From the article..

“Although § 702 potentially raises complex statutory and constitutional issues, this case does not. As explained [in the opinion], the initial collection of Mohamud’s email communications did not involve so-called “upstreaming” or targeting of Mohamud under § 702, more controversial methods of collecting information. It also did not involve the retention and querying of incidentally collected communications. All this case involved was the targeting of a foreign national under § 702, through which Mohamud’s email communications were incidentally collected. Confined to the particular facts of this case, we hold that the § 702 acquisition of Mohamud’s email communications did not violate the Fourth Amendment.”

McVeigh very much thought it was his right to bomb.
According to McVeigh's pre-execution manifesto, he believed the Waco Massacre justified his retaliatory bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City. Of course that isn't right, but the fact remains were it not for what happened at Waco McVeigh would not have done what he did.

WHISTLEBLOWER: NSA ANALYZING CONVERSATIONS IN REAL TIME » ALEX ...
Jul 18, 2012 ... ... all electronic communications and analyzing them in real time, according to former NSA employee turned whistleblower William Binney, who ...

NSA WHISTLEBLOWER: “NATIONAL SECURITY IS A SCAM”

THE ULTIMATE GOAL OF THE NSA IS TOTAL POPULATION CONTROL
William Binney is one of the highest-level whistleblowers to ever emerge from the NSA. He was a leading code-breaker against the Soviet Union during the Cold War but resigned soon after September 11, disgusted by Washington’s move towards mass surveillance.
The NSA will soon be able to collect 966 exabytes a year, the total of internet traffic annually. Former Google head Eric Schmidt once arguedthat the entire amount of knowledge from the beginning of humankind until 2003 amount to only five exabytes.

The ultimate goal of the NSA is total population control

----------------------------------

The U.S. federal appeals court has ruled in United States v. Mohamud, a case that began with a 2010 holiday bomb plot and will end with unique implications for the private digital communications of American citizens.

Let's just accept this and give up some more of our privacy, why lets just live in a glass house and tell the world everything we do. Oh wait we already do. But the trendy's need to feel safe and secure.
If they feel like they can stop terrorism by checking my emails, they are welcome to it. It's the least I can do as a helpful citizen.
You should read above where I posted " why we shouldn't think we have nothing to hide" something like that lol. Anyway I posted it from wired. You should be concerned and not want the Government prying into your emails. Be concerned and very concerned.
There is more there than most people think, and they think it is not damaging to them, oh if you only knew what they can use against you.
How is my life impacted negatively by some guy at the NSA reading my email? If it can stop a terrorist attack, it can only help me.

Forum List

Back