Court Rules Assaulted Michigan Teachers Can't Force School to Expel Student Attackers

Agnapostate

Rookie
Sep 19, 2008
The Quake State
A group of Michigan middle school teachers assaulted by students cannot seek enforcement of a state law requiring their attackers be expelled, the Michigan Court of Appeals has ruled.

The Lansing school district suspended four students who were accused of throwing chairs at two teachers, slapping another and striking a fourth in the face with a wristband.

The teachers and their union said the students should have been expelled under a state school-safety law designed to protect the safety of teachers and students in the classroom.

But the court upheld a lower court ruling Wednesday, saying that disciplinary decisions are within the discretion of the school board, according to the Detroit Free Press.

The court added that it was “unfortunate” that the legislature did not empower teachers to enforce the Safe Schools Act, the paper reported. But “it is within the province of the legislature.”

Maybe they should give the students a cash sum, because if the teachers had assaulted them, they'd be on paid leave.

A group of Michigan middle school teachers assaulted by students cannot seek enforcement of a state law requiring their attackers be expelled, the Michigan Court of Appeals has ruled.

The Lansing school district suspended four students who were accused of throwing chairs at two teachers, slapping another and striking a fourth in the face with a wristband.

The teachers and their union said the students should have been expelled under a state school-safety law designed to protect the safety of teachers and students in the classroom.

But the court upheld a lower court ruling Wednesday, saying that disciplinary decisions are within the discretion of the school board, according to the Detroit Free Press.

The court added that it was “unfortunate” that the legislature did not empower teachers to enforce the Safe Schools Act, the paper reported. But “it is within the province of the legislature.”

Maybe they should give the students a cash sum, because if the teachers had assaulted them, they'd be on paid leave.

I actually agree with you on this one.

I know a lot of people will disagree with this but sometimes there is no justice but what you can get for yourself, and when it comes to kids that comes up more often than a lot of people probably want to believe.

When I was in school I had a teacher that was always trying to look down my shirt. When I complained nothing was done about it. I was told I was imagining it, or that there was some other explanation. Sorry, I know when someone is trying to look at my boobs. My bf at the time was in the same class and he finally had enough of it and ended up slugging the teacher in the face right in the middle of class in front of everyone. Funny, nothing ever came of it. The teacher left the class room and we sat there for the rest of the period. The next day he acted like nothing had happened. Now, can anyone think of any reason he wouldn't want to report the incident to the administration?

Don't think just because a student attacked a teacher the teacher didn't have it coming.

Yes,there are perv teachers, and there are bully students. These are the kids who have no consequences from their parents at home, so they can basically run the classroom or the school. If a teacher hits a kid back that hit them first, that teacher is SOL.

I agree with the court! The teacher shouldn't be the judge, jury and executioner! A committee should make the decision, but there should be zero tolerance for assaulting anyone. The kids the tossed a chair at the teacher should be expelled that day. A wrist band in the face, have a strict suspension, but not expulsion!

I love all these people who put down public schools, yet I'm sure most of them were products of them. I understand wanting to send your child to a catholic school for religious reason or such, but to just put down public schools and generalize them is elitist.

The distinction between public and private schools is largely irrelevant. Both implement the same hierarchical, authoritarian models to control students. The difference is that public schools at least have a framework in which you can fight for your constitutional rights (i.e. Tinker v. Des Moines) even if the administrators couldn't care less about them. They'll start caring once you file for injunctive relief.

Let me guess... Public School!

:cuckoo:

You would never see this in a private school. It just wouldn't happen. Only in government-controlled, pc-enabled, PUBLIC schools would this occur.

because private schools are not required by law to take in everyone. D'oh!

public schools (and the kids in them) need your support, not your smarmy cynicism, contempt and bullshit.

seriously dude, I will never understand where people like you are coming from.

fix the fukin' schools! sure it won't be easy, but fuk it---we're supposed to be Americans!

Call me crazy, but I'd rather the school district enforce discipline and not a teacher's union.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather the school district enforce discipline and not a teacher's union.

It depends on what you mean by that. "Discipline" as applied to students is wholly inappropriate, inasmuch as it is brutally hierarchical and heavily authoritarian, which squares with the school's general purpose of preparing students for a wider hierarchical framework.

I never said they were perfect, but they are much better than Public Schools (obviously). Both articles demonstrate that the private schools administrators acted properly. Public Schools are so PC that disciplining a student or a poor teacher is difficult.

You would never see this in a private school. It just wouldn't happen. Only in government-controlled, pc-enabled, PUBLIC schools would this occur.

because private schools are not required by law to take in everyone. D'oh!

public schools (and the kids in them) need your support, not your smarmy cynicism, contempt and bullshit.

seriously dude, I will never understand where people like you are coming from.

fix the fukin' schools! sure it won't be easy, but fuk it---we're supposed to be Americans!

Public Schools are more like government indoctrination camps. Why would I want to fix them? Now it's your job to fix them. Good luck with that.

I never said they were perfect, but they are much better than Public Schools (obviously). Both articles demonstrate that the private schools administrators acted properly. Public Schools are so PC that disciplining a student or a poor teacher is difficult.

i went to private school and to public school. if you think there is a big difference between how they are run, or the types of behaviors to which your children are exposed, you're kidding yourself. big time. drug use, sex, rock n roll-if anything it's probably more prevalent in a private school than a public school. the only difference is the classes are smaller, they can pick who they want to attend and they can toss someone out with less red tape.

if it's worth it to you, more power to you.

I know a lot of people will disagree with this but sometimes there is no justice but what you can get for yourself, and when it comes to kids that comes up more often than a lot of people probably want to believe.

When I was in school I had a teacher that was always trying to look down my shirt. When I complained nothing was done about it. I was told I was imagining it, or that there was some other explanation. Sorry, I know when someone is trying to look at my boobs. My bf at the time was in the same class and he finally had enough of it and ended up slugging the teacher in the face right in the middle of class in front of everyone. Funny, nothing ever came of it. The teacher left the class room and we sat there for the rest of the period. The next day he acted like nothing had happened. Now, can anyone think of any reason he wouldn't want to report the incident to the administration?

Don't think just because a student attacked a teacher the teacher didn't have it coming.

i find your story ironic given your avatar.....

Yes,there are perv teachers, and there are bully students. These are the kids who have no consequences from their parents at home, so they can basically run the classroom or the school. If a teacher hits a kid back that hit them first, that teacher is SOL.

You KNOW I agree with this! Too bad I can't rep now.

Forum List

Back