Court Declines to Overturn Double Jeopardy Laws

Dana7360

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2014
I understand why the court didn't overturn the law. The federal and state governments are separate.

While I understand why they ruled this way, I'm not comfortable with it even though it's been going on for a very long time.

This should scare trump and his followers to death. Especially since NY state has new laws on prosecutions which are directed at being able to prosecute anyone that trump has pardoned.

This can turn into a very sticky mess.

Supreme Court declines to overturn exception to double jeopardy

I understand why the court didn't overturn the law. The federal and state governments are separate.

While I understand why they ruled this way, I'm not comfortable with it even though it's been going on for a very long time.

This should scare trump and his followers to death. Especially since NY state has new laws on prosecutions which are directed at being able to prosecute anyone that trump has pardoned.

That sound you hear are office staffers computers in multiple jurisdictions at the state and federal level, working up indictment documents.

That sound you hear are office staffers computers in multiple jurisdictions at the state and federal level, working up indictment documents.

I don't know. This has always been legal so those jurisdictions could have done it a long time ago.

I'm not comfortable with it but it does invite a lot of abuse. Our prisons are already full as it is with people who really don't belong there.

Both federal and state jurisdictions can abuse this but haven't thus far. We have a very different federal government right now. I don't trust them with this power.

Another aspect of this is that it opens the door to NY state to prosecute anyone trump pardons. Or to prosecute trump.

I want trump and all his criminal cohorts to face justice but not at the expense of freedom and liberty of anyone else.

The doctrine of Separate Sovereigns has been upheld--this basically means that a President cannot pardon someone for State charges..of interest to Paul Manafort, I presume:

"The U.S. Supreme Court reaffirmed that a state and the federal government can press separate prosecutions over the same conduct, ruling in a case that might have extended the impact of President Donald Trump’s pardon power.
The justices, voting 7-2, left intact the “separate sovereigns” doctrine, a decades-old rule that limits the scope of the constitutional ban on double jeopardy. Elimination of the separate-sovereigns rule would have meant that a presidential pardon might block some state charges as well.
The case was being watched for any possible impact on Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign chairman. Manafort has been sentenced to a total of 7 1/2 years in prison in two federal cases, and he is now facing New York state charges for residential mortgage fraud, conspiracy and falsifying business records.
Trump hasn’t ruled out a pardon of Manafort, though he said March 13 it’s “not something on my mind.”"

Supreme Court Double Jeopardy Ruling May Affect Presidential Pardon Power

I don't know. This has always been legal so those jurisdictions could have done it a long time ago.

I'm not comfortable with it but it does invite a lot of abuse. Our prisons are already full as it is with people who really don't belong there.

Both federal and state jurisdictions can abuse this but haven't thus far. We have a very different federal government right now. I don't trust them with this power.

Another aspect of this is that it opens the door to NY state to prosecute anyone trump pardons. Or to prosecute trump.

I want trump and all his criminal cohorts to face justice but not at the expense of freedom and liberty of anyone else.

Just curious...
Why would NY have jurisdiction over crimes that didnt happen in NY?

Forum List

Back