Court awards 4.6 million because she was stuck w/ hypo needle she picked up in a Target parking lot

Does a government entity have the same liability as the private business?

While I think that the award is excessive, and probably will be reduced, there has to be some question whether the business made an effort and failed, or more importantly, reduced an effort which caused the incident. ie; sweeping.

Why not?

If it is indeed negligence to leave an object lying on the ground and if the owner of that ground is the one held liable for that negligence then both are equally guilty

Or is it as I say that the one negligent enough to pick up an object responsible if they then injure themselves with it?

If the owner of the property also owns every object on that property Is the person who picks up an object from private property without permission of the owner guilty of stealing?

And the incident was caused by the person who left the needle. IOW the one who committed the crime of the illegal disposal medical waste

The Malignant Narcissist is so sad a big corporation had to pay a little person something.

The corporation did absolutely nothing wrong

People are responsible for their own stupidity.

If someone has to tell you not to pick up a sharp potentially dangerous object off the ground then you're too fucking stupid to be outside

How do you know the corporation did nothing wrong?

You think the corporation left the syringe in the parking lot?

No, but the corporation is responsible for creating a safe area.

If someone has to tell you not to pick up a sharp potentially dangerous object off the ground then you're too fucking stupid to be outside

Uh, it was an 8 year old who picked it up. I don't expect 8 year olds to show judgement.

Did Target knowingly put the needle there ?

Did she knowingly attempt to pick it up ?

Not sure what you mean by 50/50.

If you listen to JoeB131 (a.k.a. JoeBitter), it's all Target's fault and they should pay her 10 million dollars.

Not because they are negligent, but because he hates big corporations.

Actually, it was a jury of 12 Americans who decided that Target should pay 4.6 million. Do they all hate Big Corporations, too?

Uh, was the 8 year old alone in the parking or or under parental supervision?

And a jury in a civil case does not have to come to a unanimous decision so it was only 7 losers like you who think nothing is their fault that decided that somehow Target was responsible for the junkie than threw a syringe on the ground

The ultimate responsibility lays with Target.

Uh, it was an 8 year old who picked it up. I don't expect 8 year olds to show judgement.

If you listen to JoeB131 (a.k.a. JoeBitter), it's all Target's fault and they should pay her 10 million dollars.

Actually, it was a jury of 12 Americans who decided that Target should pay 4.6 million. Do they all hate Big Corporations, too?

They very well could.

Attorney's pick the jury and they look for the right people to have on it.

An attorney told me once that before on-line banking.....if you were suing a bank....you wanted 12 housewives on the jury.

Sure win.
Attorney's can be some of the scummiest people on earth.

That would depend on what side of the table you are sitting.

They very well could.

An attorney told me once that before on-line banking.....if you were suing a bank....you wanted 12 housewives on the jury.

Sure win.

Then Target was pretty stupid to not settle for $12,000 when she asked for that.

Republicans always find the most outrageous case & blast the media with the headlines to get voters to screw everyone out of their rights. But in reality it's much different just like the hot coffee burns at McDonald's. Republicans claimed the lady became a multimillionaire by spilling coffee, but the judge trimmed it down to only cover actual damages & legal fees..

This Target needle woman will not get anything except actual damages & legal fees.

They also leave out key bits of the story. Like in the case of the Coffee Lady, she demonstrated that dozens of people were burned by McDonald's coffee, and McD ignored years of complaints that their coffee was too hot.

I suspect if we got the transcripts of this trial, we are going to find out that Target had years of complaints about Junkies congregating in their parking lot, and failed to either roust them out or clean up after them.

Prior to Old Lady Liebeck, McDonald's had received some 700 earlier complaints from people who had been burned by McDonald’s coffee, some of which they had settled and most of which had been ignored. McDonald’s admitted that they had known about the risk of serious burns from their coffee for 10 years and had done nothing about it. The jury felt they need to be punished to get them to stop burning people by hitting for 1 or 2 days coffee revenue. It worked causing McDonald’s to turn down the heat. So the judge reduced the judgement to $600k.

Did he base that on any scientific research or did he pull it out of his papal ass? You don't impress me by quoting the idiot child Pope.

oh, i'm sure the Pope has a shitload of reports surveying his clergy. You don't pay out the kind of money the Church has without really looking into the problem.
He's old and speaks off the cuff often. It still has nothing to do with your story about growing up with a plurality of pedophile priests. You told a lie.

He's old and speaks off the cuff often. It still has nothing to do with your story about growing up with a plurality of pedophile priests. You told a lie.

Uh, nope. It was true as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't want to be caught alone with one of the creepy bastards.
Your choice. Creepy is your opinion, pedophile is your lie.

And a jury in a civil case does not have to come to a unanimous decision so it was only 7 losers like you who think nothing is their fault that decided that somehow Target was responsible for the junkie than threw a syringe on the ground

I would say given the fact the penalty was so large tells me that that the jury probably was unanimous on Target's negligence.

You're an idiot if you believe that.

Guy, I grew up Catholic... we knew the priests were all a bunch of creepy pervs and you didn't want to be alone in a room with one of them.
Once again assuming facts not in evidence

Why not?

If it is indeed negligence to leave an object lying on the ground and if the owner of that ground is the one held liable for that negligence then both are equally guilty

Or is it as I say that the one negligent enough to pick up an object responsible if they then injure themselves with it?

If the owner of the property also owns every object on that property Is the person who picks up an object from private property without permission of the owner guilty of stealing?

And the incident was caused by the person who left the needle. IOW the one who committed the crime of the illegal disposal medical waste

The Malignant Narcissist is so sad a big corporation had to pay a little person something.

Do you know how often they policed the parking lot for trash?

There are 24 hours in a day 1440 minutes in a day 86400 seconds in a day

How long do you think it took a junkie to toss that needle? 1 or 2 seconds ?

So by your "reasoning" the store should have policed the entire parking lot for trash at least every 2 seconds

No it does not it lays with the idiot who tossed the needle then secondly with the idiot who let her kid pick it up

They very well could.

Sure win.

Then Target was pretty stupid to not settle for $12,000 when she asked for that.

Republicans always find the most outrageous case & blast the media with the headlines to get voters to screw everyone out of their rights. But in reality it's much different just like the hot coffee burns at McDonald's. Republicans claimed the lady became a multimillionaire by spilling coffee, but the judge trimmed it down to only cover actual damages & legal fees..

This Target needle woman will not get anything except actual damages & legal fees.

They also leave out key bits of the story. Like in the case of the Coffee Lady, she demonstrated that dozens of people were burned by McDonald's coffee, and McD ignored years of complaints that their coffee was too hot.

I suspect if we got the transcripts of this trial, we are going to find out that Target had years of complaints about Junkies congregating in their parking lot, and failed to either roust them out or clean up after them.

Prior to Old Lady Liebeck, McDonald's had received some 700 earlier complaints from people who had been burned by McDonald’s coffee, some of which they had settled and most of which had been ignored. McDonald’s admitted that they had known about the risk of serious burns from their coffee for 10 years and had done nothing about it. The jury felt they need to be punished to get them to stop burning people by hitting for 1 or 2 days coffee revenue. It worked causing McDonald’s to turn down the heat. So the judge reduced the judgement to $600k.

Gee hot liquids burn

Who knew?

Do you know how often they policed the parking lot for trash?

There are 24 hours in a day 1440 minutes in a day 86400 seconds in a day

How long do you think it took a junkie to toss that needle? 1 or 2 seconds ?

So by your "reasoning" the store should have policed the entire parking lot for trash at least every 2 seconds
Or they could stop with their perverted transgender policy and freaks who use drugs won't be drawn to their stores like a lightning rod.

They deserve this lawsuit.

This is why your judicial system is broken. Hey, how about the stupid girl not pick up the needle? That's a good fucking start.

We're more responsible for making those pay their bills.

Tell us what country you are from so we can peruse your tort laws.

So the girl picking up a needle, or her mother not supervising her for not doing so, are not responsible?

Born in NZ living in Australia. Go for it. Look up Accident Compensation Corporation for NZ. The ACC would be the American Insurance industry's worst nightmare.

Welcome to ACC
The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides comprehensive, no-fault personal injury cover for all New Zealand residents and visitors to New Zealand.

ah, yes. the most legitious society in the world where lawyers rule. It's everybody's fault but mine. And I disagree. The person who left the needle there is at fault. nobody else. Don't get me wrong. Corporations are responsible for things. If there was a massive pothole in the carpark that they refuse to fix and somebody breaks a leg? Sure they have some responsibility. However, so does the person who doesn't watch where they are going.

The reason why rape victims don't get awards is because rapists usually don't have any money left after they've been convicted.

So a big corporation tries to push around a working person by not taking responsibility for its own negligence, and a jury of working people punish them for doing so.

Why is this a bad thing again? I promise you, Target will appeal and then settle this out of court for a lot less, and t hen they will make damned sure their parking lots are clean.

“The system” is nowhere near as just or altruistic as you are attempting to imply here.

Not even close. Like government and politics, it is corrupt by those who control much of it, especially the trial lawyers association.
the lawyer gets 40%

that's why lawyers sue buildings, for women, for not having more womens toilets.

know any women that got a check?
no?
shocked

The lawyer gets a third and lays out a lot of money without any guarantee of recovery.

or should lawyers not get paid?

ah, yes. the most legitious society in the world where lawyers rule. It's everybody's fault but mine. And I disagree. The person who left the needle there is at fault. nobody else. Don't get me wrong. Corporations are responsible for things. If there was a massive pothole in the carpark that they refuse to fix and somebody breaks a leg? Sure they have some responsibility. However, so does the person who doesn't watch where they are going.

I have to disagree with you on this. If the needle was there for a significant enough time where the store employees knew or should have known it was there, they are negligent. That doesn't address whether the customer was negligent as well, in which case liability is allocated between the parties

This is why your judicial system is broken. Hey, how about the stupid girl not pick up the needle? That's a good fucking start.
Kids pick things up.

You should raise 1 or 2 of them. It might prove very educational.

I have raised two. Successfully. What about personal responsibility.
I don't have to tell real parents that kids pick things off the ground and you can't always control that. There's just no stopping my autistic son once he fixes his eyes on something he wants to touch. Strange that you don't know this. Maybe you kept yours on leashes.

The reason why rape victims don't get awards is because rapists usually don't have any money left after they've been convicted.

So a big corporation tries to push around a working person by not taking responsibility for its own negligence, and a jury of working people punish them for doing so.

Why is this a bad thing again? I promise you, Target will appeal and then settle this out of court for a lot less, and t hen they will make damned sure their parking lots are clean.

“The system” is nowhere near as just or altruistic as you are attempting to imply here.

Not even close. Like government and politics, it is corrupt by those who control much of it, especially the trial lawyers association.
the lawyer gets 40%

that's why lawyers sue buildings, for women, for not having more womens toilets.

know any women that got a check?
no?
shocked

The lawyer gets a third and lays out a lot of money without any guarantee of recovery.

or should lawyers not get paid?
lawyers should be free, we all need lawyers and the poor can't afford them, so we should have a government funded lawyer program where the people that can afford lawyers are 'taxed' to pay for the lawyer of poor people.

:lol:

Forum List

Back