Could You Combat Vets Pls Educate The People Who Say We Haven't Been At War Since W W 2?

Combat is war.

US Army 1988 - Sep 22 2014 (almost here)
so what's next?

Not sure yet. Have business interests that are thankfully making money so no need to rush out and find a job, and honestly I probably won't. I'm actually being retired on a disability, but it's just a trick knee, nothing that would prevent me from doing anything and I get nothing extra for it (nor do I want anything extra) that's just the offiial reason for my retirement. Truth is I just got tired of it. Forty three is too old to be breaking up bar fights, and I can't sit behind a desk, so...........
i have a friend retiring in march. bastard got on with the state department, he'll be working in some embassy somewhere :)
what was your mos?

31A - Military Police

I hold the rank of LTC which is the equivalent of a GS-14. Getting a job is no problem. Wanting one however? Nah.
that's what my wife is too, well not the O5 thing, just an O3 right now.

and you may not want a job, but you wouldn't have to put a whole lot of time in at a federal position and you could end up with two comfy retirement checks.
i mean retirement might sound nice now, but somehow i'd wager you'll get bored.
I've been retired 05 since 1987... Never worked since...never bored. My son retired 05... Now a GS 14...bitches like hell about the bureaucratic stupidity...I avoided all that by marrying a woman that hates to spend money. Just a hint......
27 yrs retired..dayum..you know some libs will call you a leech.
I retired from the USN in 2002, went right back to work, I could not stand not having a job..I dont think I will ever retire full time.. work til I die

A number of members have posted this in some of the serious threads on this Board. When asked how all these vets received missing limbs over the past few decades, the problem with the word game goes over their heads.

There's the academic and political wording, and then there's reality.
Any Vets or others care to help educate them?
There is no "reality" for words. War is a legal term, but also a casual term for conflict between political entities. Or, in The Godfather, violent combat between criminal organizations. All uses are correct, depending on context.
So no we have not been in a declared war since 1945, but we have been in several conflicts that fit a less technical description.

So, everyone is right.

And, yes, I'm a vet, Active and Reserves, 1988-2015.

All the Vets I know, including the ones I worked with in Iraq, called it WAR, not conflict.

The word game is purely political. Kerry was denying the experience real military people feel when they're sent....

To be honest I'd be fucking embarrassed to be a lib trying to defend this semantic bullshit that is as dishonest as it gets.

To say we're not at war is an attempt to act like troops are not being sent in harms way.

Combat is war.

so what's next?

Not sure yet. Have business interests that are thankfully making money so no need to rush out and find a job, and honestly I probably won't. I'm actually being retired on a disability, but it's just a trick knee, nothing that would prevent me from doing anything and I get nothing extra for it (nor do I want anything extra) that's just the offiial reason for my retirement. Truth is I just got tired of it. Forty three is too old to be breaking up bar fights, and I can't sit behind a desk, so...........
i have a friend retiring in march. bastard got on with the state department, he'll be working in some embassy somewhere :)
what was your mos?

31A - Military Police

I hold the rank of LTC which is the equivalent of a GS-14. Getting a job is no problem. Wanting one however? Nah.

and you may not want a job, but you wouldn't have to put a whole lot of time in at a federal position and you could end up with two comfy retirement checks.
I've been retired 05 since 1987... Never worked since...never bored. My son retired 05... Now a GS 14...bitches like hell about the bureaucratic stupidity...I avoided all that by marrying a woman that hates to spend money. Just a hint......

LOL, good on you, D!!

Combat is war.

so what's next?

what was your mos?

31A - Military Police

27 yrs retired..dayum..you know some libs will call you a leech.
I retired from the USN in 2002, went right back to work, I could not stand not having a job..I dont think I will ever retire full time.. work til I die
Nothing wrong with that. Was going to teach...but then first wife died...and I had no reason to work...retirement pay was enuf. Then met second wife...thrifty...inherited, invested, saved,...sitting pretty now...

Good luck to you...working will keep you young...me..it's racquetball..

I don't think there was a time that the US wasn't involved in a war, great or small. Korea, Vietnam and the gulf wars were perhaps some of the biggest in recent times.

Hip, I think I saw you post on another thread something about Vietnam and was impressed and meant to hit the like button but was going too fast....was that you?

A number of members have posted this in some of the serious threads on this Board. When asked how all these vets received missing limbs over the past few decades, the problem with the word game goes over their heads.

There is no "reality" for words. War is a legal term, but also a casual term for conflict between political entities. Or, in The Godfather, violent combat between criminal organizations. All uses are correct, depending on context.
So no we have not been in a declared war since 1945, but we have been in several conflicts that fit a less technical description.

So, everyone is right.

All the Vets I know, including the ones I worked with in Iraq, called it WAR, not conflict.
Interesting how you quote me, but then ignore everything I actually said. How does that work?

I don't think there was a time that the US wasn't involved in a war, great or small. Korea, Vietnam and the gulf wars were perhaps some of the biggest in recent times.
Hip, I think I saw you post on another thread something about Vietnam and was impressed and meant to hit the like button but was going too fast....was that you?
I wasn't involved in another thread talking about Vietnam as far as I know.

Combat is war.

so what's next?

what was your mos?

31A - Military Police

That's new. I was trained as an MP when it was an 95 B. One more reminder of being O L D

Using the common definition, armed conflict we are at war and have been many times since WWII.

I wasn't involved in another thread talking about Vietnam as far as I know.

roger sorry about that. The thread wasn't about VN but someone was saying how the press had not reported accurately. Anyway, sorry, Hip!

Using the common definition, armed conflict we are at war and have been many times since WWII.

Right to the point, just like Bogie would say it. :)

So, everyone is right.

Interesting how you quote me, but then ignore everything I actually said. How does that work?

Perhaps you contradicted yourself without meaning to? You did seem to be making various points but I thought your take away was to dis my OP. :)

Combat is war.

so what's next?

what was your mos?

31A - Military Police

That's new. I was trained as an MP when it was an 95 B. One more reminder of being O L D

That USED to be the enlisted designation and officers were 31A - but they changed it around Aug of 03 if I recall so that enlisted and officers had the same number designator.

Combat is war.

so what's next?

what was your mos?

31A - Military Police

That USED to be the enlisted designation and officers were 31A - but they changed it around Aug of 03 if I recall so that enlisted and officers had the same number designator.

Well I was a 95B back in the 70's, welcome to my world. But I ended up behind a desk anyway.

Forum List

Back