Could you be liable for texting a driver?

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Is it now illegal to text someone who is driving?

No, not yet. The criminal laws on this issue haven't changed in New Jersey or elsewhere. But the New Jersey judges appear to be saying that texting someone who is driving could make you liable to a civil lawsuit, based on existing laws against distracting a driver.

"We conclude that a person sending text messages has a duty not to text someone who is driving if the texter knows, or has special reason to know, the recipient will view the text while driving," they said in their ruling.

Let's be careful out there!

One would first have to PROVE the person sending the text KNEW the receiver was driving a vehicle. Gonna be hard to do except for people that are by profession drivers.

I don't believe that it should fall on someone who is not even in the car. To me, it all falls on the people behind the wheels because they are who make the road safe, unsafe, or whatever it is that you want to call it.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

The responsibility should be with the driver. Period. Pull over somewhere and check your text messages if you simply can't wait. Doesn't matter if the person sending the text knows the person is driving or not...the driver is the one in control of the vehicle and in control of his cell phone.

Otherwise, you're going to have a lot more stupid lawsuits blaming someone who isn't responsible if the driver gets in a wreck because he's texting.

Just my opinion, of course. Convince me otherwise. :)

Retarded with a capital R.

The driver is responsible for what they do behind the wheel and if they choose to text/read texts and drive they should get their ass handed to them. Period.

What's wrong with blaming the person who is reading the text? What a screwed up system we have.

"I wouldn't have crashed my car and killed three people if that person hadn't sent me a text"

I can see it now, that'll be the perfect defense. Blame someone else for your own stupid actions.

Forum List

Back