Could a solar flare destroy modern civilization?

And the newest thing in Nuclear reactors is to use helium instead of water as a coolant. The nice thing about this is that Helium cannot conduct radioactivity as water can....... Interesting stuff.......

. The best-known radical new design is the Pebble Bed Modular Reactor, using helium as coolant, at very high temperature, to drive a turbine directly.
Nuclear Reactors | Nuclear Power Plant | Nuclear Reactor Technology

If you woke up in five days and there was no electricity, no internet, no cell phones, what would you do? As for me, I'll answer that question at the end of this article. But why worry, it's not going to happen. But it could and I'll explain it briefly.

In five days, a large “benevolent monster” of a sunspot is turning to face the Earth. The most active part of the entire sun since 2005. And “it's still growing,” according to Jess Whittington, a forecaster at the federal Space Weather Prediction Center. This “benevolent monster” of a sunspot will only be facing our planet for two weeks.

The consequences of this are dire, if you only understand what happens if this “benevolent monster” of a sunspot unleashes it's full fury upon our small planet. Let's go back in time to 1859.

From August 28 until September 2, 1859, the earth faced a similar scenario such as what is occurring in five days. On September 1, 1859, the largest flare came unleashed a coronal mass ejection straight at the Earth. And just 18 hours later, the largest recorded geomagnetic storm hit the Earth.

In Boston, the light was so bright that even at 1:00 AM, people could read the newspaper without any other light sources around them. The currents in long Telegraph wires in both the United States and Europe experienced induced ElectroMagnetic Force. Fires broke out in the telegraph offices and even shocked the telegraph operators. Auroras were seen in Hawaii, Mexico, Cuba and Italy. This was the 1859 solar superstorm.

In five days, the electric grid to the United States could be virtually destroyed in the northern Half of the United States. With 130 million people without electricity for 4 to 10 years as 350 transformers are destroyed. The entire Alaska Pipeline could erupt into a fireball. All land line telephones could be destroyed.

And the nuclear plants would melt down.

In Five Days the World Could End (As You Know It) - Technorati Technology

Gee that means tomorrow, no wonder this county went backwards and decided to use paper ballots........

I don't think we'll have to worry about it................

Wow, what a load of rubbish. You actually believe that nonsense?

Forget about the 2012 Mayan calendar, comet Elenin or the Rapture. The real threat to human civilization is far more mundane, and it's right in front of our noses. If Fukushima has taught us anything, it's that just one runaway meltdown of fissionable nuclear material can have wide-ranging and potentially devastating consequences for life on Earth. To date, Fukushima has already released 168 times the total radiation released from the Hiroshima nuclear bomb detonated in 1945, and the Fukushima catastrophe is now undeniably the worst nuclear disaster in the history of human civilization.

But what if human civilization faced a far greater threat than a single tsunami destroying a nuclear power facility? What if a global tidal wave could destroy the power generating capacities of all the world's power plants, all at once?

Such a scenario is not merely possible, but factually inevitable. And the global tidal wave threatening all the nuclear power plants of the world isn't made of water but solar emissions.

Solar Flare Could Unleash Nuclear Holocaust Across Planet Earth, Forcing Hundreds of Nuclear Power Plants Into Total Meltdowns - International Business Times

you gotta wonder about libs. They claim that Christianity is nothing but superstitious nonsense and yet they call on the Mayan calendar as a portent of global disaster. Maybe it's deep down wishful thinking.

I find it remarkable that so many seem to want to fear something at all times.. If its not one planet killing catastrophe its another.. WTH is wrong with people..

I find it remarkable that so many seem to want to fear something at all times.. If its not one planet killing catastrophe its another.. WTH is wrong with people..

What is wrong with you?

The history of the earth is full of planet killing catastrophes.

What is wrong with you?

AND??

So what chris... You and I are here, so it didn't take did it.. And maybe a comet, a solar flare, a earth quake, a change of climate, or maybe the martians will come and kill us all, it really won't matter because its the same chances we all take daily when we wake up..

CHris, your incessant need to fear doom is not only pointless but completely self-destructive. And just all around bad FOR EVERYONE!

We are all at the whim of outside forces that we many times have no control of. Every day an infinite number of possibilities can change from a possibility to an actual event or fact. And after that it can lead an infinite number of other possibilities in and infinite number outcomes. You can get hit by a car, shot by a crazy gunman, drop dead from a brain tumor you didn't know you had, or just about anything you can think of or not even imagine could possibly happen to you or me or anybody at any point in any given time or day or night..

So what do you do? Well hopefully you man the fuck up and move your ass and take advantage of what choices you have and what you CAN do to make your fragile existence the best you can for yourself and those you care for. It would sure beat sitting there dwelling on your mortality like you do.. At least you would be doing something positive...

Fact is we are all here at the whim of forces we have no way to control. Be it a mutation of primordial ooze or a kindly white-haired gentleman with infinite power, we cannot control them either way..

Mortality is a curse or a blessing depending on how you choose to look at it.. I view it as a blessing. It means that my life as long or short as it may be will end one day, and that inevitability gives me a clear choice to make. I can sit on my ass and wait for it and be a waste of that precious life, or I can get up and do my best to make every day worth the living. If i were immortal I am pretty sure boredom and complacency would make such infinite existence pure hell.. I like my mortality, it keeps things in perspective and me humble..

You are most likely a young person chris, I hope you take something positive from this exchange and stop the doom and gloom.. Lifes shorter than even you think and its worse when you waste years of it worrying over things you can do nothing about...

If one were strong enough to have the same effect as an EMP bomb...

... considering our dependence on computers...

... it could very well knock the world back to the 1800's.

In Revelation 18.8-9 in the Bible it speaks of an event where the sun scorches the earth and the men upon it...

... so a cycle of extreme global warming seems to be in the offing during the end times.
:eek:

What is wrong with you?

What's wrong with you? You guys are constantly worried about all sorts of things. How do you even get up in the morning? The only way to ensure the survival of the human race is to get off this rock. Wasting billions on useless AGW "research" ain't helping matters....you know...

We have some EMP protection in a few military/govt systems.

But virtually no protections against the kind of discharges and such described in the article above.

It is quite simple to build a Faraday cage. I have one for my radio equipment. But then you'd have to be educated to know about those.

Yeah but the trick will be to have the entire GRID in a faraday cage when the event happens.

That's not gonna happen.

We have some EMP protection in a few military/govt systems.

But virtually no protections against the kind of discharges and such described in the article above.

It is quite simple to build a Faraday cage. I have one for my radio equipment. But then you'd have to be educated to know about those.

Yeah but the trick will be to have the entire GRID in a faraday cage when the event happens.

That's not gonna happen.

Nope, just key parts of it.

I for one follow the lessons of the Blue Oyster Cult.. I do not fear the reaper... nor a solar flare..

possum hidin' under the couch...
:eek:
Is the end of the world really nigh?
Saturday 19 November 2011 - Science is moving ever closer to understanding how, and when, humanity may be extinguished
Judging by the run of successful natural disaster films in the past few years, people are fascinated by the idea of the end of the world. In Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later, a virus ravaged the UK and beyond; an asteroid was the world-ending threat in Deep Impact and Armageddon; and climate change got a starring role in The Day After Tomorrow. In the real world, we don't know how the Earth (or humanity) might meet its end or when that will happen. Pondering and predicting the event has usually been a job for the world's great religions: all of them have some idea about how humans will meet their maker. Indeed, "the end" (or judgement day) is usually a deity's way of cleansing our planet, to allow a fresh race of people who are morally purer to repopulate the resulting clean slate. Usually, there is too much sin or debauchery and the time has come to start again.

Stories of brimstone, fire and gods make good tales and do a decent job of stirring up the requisite fear and jeopardy. But made-up doomsday tales pale into nothing, creatively speaking, when contrasted with what is actually possible. Look through the lens of science and "the end" becomes much more interesting. Since the beginning of life on Earth, around 3.5 billion years ago, the fragile existence has lived in the shadow of annihilation. On this planet, extinction is the norm – of the 4 billion species ever thought to have evolved, 99% have become extinct. In particular, five times in this past 500 million years the steady background rate of extinction has shot up for a period of time. Something – no one knows for sure what – turned the Earth into exactly the wrong planet for life at these points and during each mass extinction, more than 75% of the existing species died off in a period of time that was, geologically speaking, a blink of the eye.

Sun-storm-007.jpg

An exceptionally strong magnetic storm would have deadly effects.

One or more of these mass extinctions occurred because of what we could call the big, Hollywood-style, potential doomsday scenarios. If a big enough asteroid hit the Earth, for example, the impact would cause huge earthquakes and tsunamis that could cross the globe. There would be enough dust thrown into the air to block out the sun for several years. As a result, the world's food resources would be destroyed, leading to famine. It has happened before: the dinosaurs (along with more than half the other species on Earth) were wiped out 65 million years ago by a 10km-wide asteroid that smashed into the area around Mexico. Monica Grady, an expert in meteorites at the Open University, says it is a question of when, not if, a near-Earth object (NEO) collides with our planet. "Many of the smaller objects break up when they reach the Earth's atmosphere and have no impact. However, a NEO larger than 1km wide will collide with Earth every few hundred thousand years and a NEO larger than 6km, which could cause mass extinction, will collide with Earth every hundred million years. We are overdue for a big one."

Other natural disasters include sudden changes in climate or immense volcanic eruptions. All of these could cause global catastrophes that would wipe out large portions of the planet's life, but, given we have survived for several hundreds of thousands of years while at risk of these, it is unlikely that a natural disaster such as that will cause catastrophe in the next few centuries. In addition, cosmic threats to our existence have always been with us, even thought it has taken us some time to notice: the collision of our galaxy, the Milky Way, with our nearest neighbour, Andromeda, for example, or the arrival of a black hole. Common to all of these threats is that there is very little we can do about them even when we know the danger exists, except trying to work out how to survive the aftermath.

More Is the end of the world really nigh? | Science | The Observer

I don't know whether to applaud a delay or request a speed up... Really, the longer it is from now, the more dumbed down we will have become.

Forget about the 2012 Mayan calendar, comet Elenin or the Rapture. The real threat to human civilization is far more mundane, and it's right in front of our noses. If Fukushima has taught us anything, it's that just one runaway meltdown of fissionable nuclear material can have wide-ranging and potentially devastating consequences for life on Earth. To date, Fukushima has already released 168 times the total radiation released from the Hiroshima nuclear bomb detonated in 1945, and the Fukushima catastrophe is now undeniably the worst nuclear disaster in the history of human civilization.

But what if human civilization faced a far greater threat than a single tsunami destroying a nuclear power facility? What if a global tidal wave could destroy the power generating capacities of all the world's power plants, all at once?

Such a scenario is not merely possible, but factually inevitable. And the global tidal wave threatening all the nuclear power plants of the world isn't made of water but solar emissions.

Solar Flare Could Unleash Nuclear Holocaust Across Planet Earth, Forcing Hundreds of Nuclear Power Plants Into Total Meltdowns - International Business Times

s0n......ya gotta turn off that Discovery Channel!!!!!:boobies::coffee:

Why? Conservatives fear an informed public?!?! :eek:

Why? Conservatives fear an informed public?!?! :eek:

Not at all. An informed public is a very good thing, witness the collapse of the AGW hysteria once the facts got out, no, what he is referring to is the desire of TV channels to garner viewers, oftimes at the cost of factual information.

Westwall, can you get any stupider? No hysteria, just plain facts and evidence. And confirmation of the facts and evidence in the grocery store.

We are no longer waiting to see what the consequences will be, we are experiancing them right now in the increasing weather events worldwide. The meteorlogical records and insurance records all confirm the increase in number and severity of weather events. From the price of bread to the cost of a jar of peanut butter, we see the result.

Now you can lie about this all you want, but everyone now sees these prices increasing because of the impacts of weather on agriculture.

Forum List

Back