Could a solar flare destroy modern civilization?

Yep no satellites, no cell phones, no gps, etc.
Cars not running because of electronics.
possible detonation of weapons, maybe nuclear?
Planes falling from the sky, etc...
And millions would starve in the usa because of no microwaves working!

NO food distribution millions would starve in the larger cities.

Everything that depends on electronics, including the cooling systems of something like 700 nuclear plants, shuts down. Very ugly situation.

Of course, because no one has ever heard about EMPs before, and it is impossible to shield from them.

:cuckoo:

And you wonder why people think you are crazy.

Forget about the 2012 Mayan calendar, comet Elenin or the Rapture. The real threat to human civilization is far more mundane, and it's right in front of our noses. If Fukushima has taught us anything, it's that just one runaway meltdown of fissionable nuclear material can have wide-ranging and potentially devastating consequences for life on Earth. To date, Fukushima has already released 168 times the total radiation released from the Hiroshima nuclear bomb detonated in 1945, and the Fukushima catastrophe is now undeniably the worst nuclear disaster in the history of human civilization.

But what if human civilization faced a far greater threat than a single tsunami destroying a nuclear power facility? What if a global tidal wave could destroy the power generating capacities of all the world's power plants, all at once?

Such a scenario is not merely possible, but factually inevitable. And the global tidal wave threatening all the nuclear power plants of the world isn't made of water but solar emissions.

Solar Flare Could Unleash Nuclear Holocaust Across Planet Earth, Forcing Hundreds of Nuclear Power Plants Into Total Meltdowns - International Business Times

Congratulations, that is the most idiotic article I have ever read.

Can you tell me how a single solar flare could wipe out every power gird on the planet at the same time, including the ones on the half of the planet that is facing away from the flare when it hits.

Then we have the fact that 2nd generation nuclear plants do not need auxiliary power to keep the coolant flowing because they are designed that way. Some of the research plants cannot meltdown no matter what you do to them, even if you drain all the coolant completely.

Perhaps you should read an account of what the Carrington Event was. And we were told that none of the nukes could melt down until Fukaisema.

Perhaps you should read what I posted before you reply to it.

Chris worried about the sun? I call bullshit. He has insisted the sun played no part in any warming on the Earth, why would he be worried about solar flares?

Fellow, the least danger that a solar flare represents is increased heat. Research what happened in the Carrington Event, the 1859 flare. Very much smaller flares have taken out sections of the grid several states wide.

According to you loons we have nothing to fear from the sun as it is not over active or a danger at all. I mean if it is not causing heating problems why suddenly worry about super flares?

Ohh wait I know, next you will propose some VERY expensive solution and claim we are all doomed if we do not eviscerate our economy and enact it.

No, it is not likely to happen, but it has happened in the recent past, and before that, also. Were it to happen, it would create havoc. Some consideration of some protocals that could save some vital components of our electronics seems in order. But then, that is alien to the 'Conservative' mind set.

If it does, I am sure it will be Bush's fault.

Immie

Nope God's. And the armageddon nuts will run rampant.

And since it will be an act of God no insurance coverage.

God is uninsurable.

I don't think TDM is going to like you trying to blame this on The One.

Of course, you and I know he is not God, but she hasn't figured that out yet.

Immie

Fellow, the least danger that a solar flare represents is increased heat. Research what happened in the Carrington Event, the 1859 flare. Very much smaller flares have taken out sections of the grid several states wide.

According to you loons we have nothing to fear from the sun as it is not over active or a danger at all. I mean if it is not causing heating problems why suddenly worry about super flares?

Ohh wait I know, next you will propose some VERY expensive solution and claim we are all doomed if we do not eviscerate our economy and enact it.

No, it is not likely to happen, but it has happened in the recent past, and before that, also. Were it to happen, it would create havoc. Some consideration of some protocals that could save some vital components of our electronics seems in order. But then, that is alien to the 'Conservative' mind set.

MORON ALERT. We have had EMP protection since at least the 70's. The Government has secret plans on how to deal with Alien invasions. The idea that power plants and power grids built since EMP protection existed do not have any is a hoot.

You and Chris are fear mongering. If there were a flare able to take out the entire worlds electronics we would all probably have a lot more to worry about then the EMP from said monster flare.

We have some EMP protection in a few military/govt systems.

But virtually no protections against the kind of discharges and such described in the article above.

But virtually no protections against the kind of discharges and such described in the article above.

You do not know that to be a fact. And once again if a flare massive enough to shut down the world occurred I am betting everyone on the sunny side of the earth would be facing a problem a lot worse then an EMP.

Forget about the 2012 Mayan calendar, comet Elenin or the Rapture. The real threat to human civilization is far more mundane, and it's right in front of our noses. If Fukushima has taught us anything, it's that just one runaway meltdown of fissionable nuclear material can have wide-ranging and potentially devastating consequences for life on Earth. To date, Fukushima has already released 168 times the total radiation released from the Hiroshima nuclear bomb detonated in 1945, and the Fukushima catastrophe is now undeniably the worst nuclear disaster in the history of human civilization.

But what if human civilization faced a far greater threat than a single tsunami destroying a nuclear power facility? What if a global tidal wave could destroy the power generating capacities of all the world's power plants, all at once?

Such a scenario is not merely possible, but factually inevitable. And the global tidal wave threatening all the nuclear power plants of the world isn't made of water but solar emissions.

Solar Flare Could Unleash Nuclear Holocaust Across Planet Earth, Forcing Hundreds of Nuclear Power Plants Into Total Meltdowns - International Business Times

Congratulations, that is the most idiotic article I have ever read.

Can you tell me how a single solar flare could wipe out every power gird on the planet at the same time, including the ones on the half of the planet that is facing away from the flare when it hits.

Then we have the fact that 2nd generation nuclear plants do not need auxiliary power to keep the coolant flowing because they are designed that way. Some of the research plants cannot meltdown no matter what you do to them, even if you drain all the coolant completely.

When dealing with magnetism(solar flare) you have to understand that the solar field that normally protects earth, but a tiny(percentage) amount of the total energy of the "solar flare" does curve back in at the poles. That is why you get the northern and southern lights. Here is a link to how the northern lights look; see how they're equally layed out throughout the northern polar area no matter what side of the planet...Well it has nothing to do with sun light or being on the dark side of the earth, but a question of magnetic energy moving inwards at the poles. SOLARCYCLE 24.com - Aurora Oval

EarthMagneticField.jpg

Last edited:

Not exactly, we have a lot of EMP protection in Most military/government systems and I wouldn't doubt that most major police departments have it by now also.........

I can't speak for what we have at nuclear plants but I would bet they have levels of protection....Of course that is not my level of expertise....

You do not know that to be a fact. And once again if a flare massive enough to shut down the world occurred I am betting everyone on the sunny side of the earth would be facing a problem a lot worse then an EMP.

It is not EMP.
And yes I know electronics and have done testing in labs for UL certification on electronic products.

in 1859 a solar flare burned out every telegraph wire across the planet !! So yes a solar flare can and probably will disable the electrical grid across the Earth !! even batteries are not exempt !!

Not exactly, we have a lot of EMP protection in Most military/government systems and I wouldn't doubt that most major police departments have it by now also.........

I can't speak for what we have at nuclear plants but I would bet they have levels of protection....Of course that is not my level of expertise....

but the type of thing described in the article is not EMP.

Really? Fukushima has killed more people than Chernobyl?

Yep no satellites, no cell phones, no gps, etc.
Cars not running because of electronics.
possible detonation of weapons, maybe nuclear?
Planes falling from the sky, etc...
And millions would starve in the usa because of no microwaves working!

NO food distribution millions would starve in the larger cities.

Not quite as bad as you think. Older vehicles would still be able to run with minor repairs.
Electronics that were turned off or happened to be in makeshift Faraday cages would likewise be OK. It would certainly suck for the city dwellers though. There would definately be a huge spike in crime.

Umm the earth is only 4,000 years old now.
And something killed the dinosuars a few times.

If you are going to make fun of religious nuts at least get the information right, it is 6000 years.

I thought some religious nuts said 4,000?

So they all have their nuttieness standardized to 6,000?

The religious nut you are referring to is the Archbishop of Armagh, James Ussher and it was published back in 1701.

Bishop Ussher Dates the World: 4004 BC

It is quite simple to build a Faraday cage. I have one for my radio equipment. But then you'd have to be educated to know about those.

Forum List

Back