Cost of Pot in Calif to Rise 70% in 2018

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Only California could legalize pot and still make black markets more attractive than ever.

California will include a 15% levy on all cannabis sales in the state, including medical pot products, starting in January. Meanwhile, local governments are also adding taxes for sellers and growers that could result in a 70% increase in the price of a small bag of good quality marijuana in parts of the state.

Between state and local taxes, some buyers will see an effective tax as high as 45% on adult-use cannabis in California. Proponents of legalization have long pointed to the collection of state and local taxes on marijuana sales as a big benefit.

The new cannabis industry in the state has a projected value of $7 billion with the potential to collect $1 billion per year in tax revenue. But industry leaders in California claim that the high taxes give illicit vendors the upper hand.

“High tax rates raise prices in legal markets, reinforcing the price advantage of black markets,” the global credit ratings firm Fitch Ratings said in a report. “California’s black markets for cannabis were well established long before its voters legalized cannabis in November 2016 and are expected to dominate post-legalization production.”

Why California Marijuana Taxes Could Cause Prices to Jump 70% in 2018

Interestingly enough, in Colorado the prices have gone down a bit, and now, people who are out of state can buy a full ounce in a store rather than the quarter ounce that was allowed before.

This could be great for the economy if they werent so damn stupid.
Legalizing it just to make it so expensive the black market still thrives seems redundant.

Legalizing it just to make it so expensive the black market still thrives seems redundant.

Well, they have the same kind of thing going on in Colorado. There are private dealers who are on the 'net who will deliver to you for a "donation". Usually those people are about half the price of the 420 stores, and the quality is almost as good.

I suspect the politicians are in league with the black market.

Actually, it's that the politicians see a popular product that they can tax the crap out of and they are using that as another revenue stream.

Nope, I don't think that the politicians are in league with the black market. Both groups hate competition.

Actually, it's that the politicians see a popular product that they can tax the crap out of and they are using that as another revenue stream.

Nope, I don't think that the politicians are in league with the black market. Both groups hate competition.
Black market for pot is well established. I predicted years ago the cartels would kill legal pot by undercutting the price.

It’s happening.

Black market for pot is well established. I predicted years ago the cartels would kill legal pot by undercutting the price.

It’s happening.

Hate to tell you, but it's not the cartels that are undercutting the price of the 420 shops. Its more like independent mom and pop growers who grow for themselves and sell the extra that they get.

It’s happening.

Hate to tell you, but it's not the cartels that are undercutting the price of the 420 shops. Its more like independent mom and pop growers who grow for themselves and sell the extra that they get.
Both then, but we agree Calif is shooting itself.

Hey that's the beauty of addiction. No matter how high the price is, there will be customers.
pot isnt addictive. But nice try lol
Actually pot is addictive. And it causes severe mental problems as well.

Is marijuana addictive?

Marijuana, Cannabis and Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com
OK maybe 1 in 200 somehow get addicted to it. I know A LOT of weed smokers and none of them are addicted.
I was also told by an addiction counselor that isnt "psycologicaly" addictive. People get addicted to the habit. As rare as it is.

Hey that's the beauty of addiction. No matter how high the price is, there will be customers.

Is marijuana addictive?

OK maybe 1 in 200 somehow get addicted to it. I know A LOT of weed smokers and none of them are addicted.
I was also told by an addiction counselor that isnt "psycologicaly" addictive. People get addicted to the habit. As rare as it is.

So you admit you were seeing an addiction counselor. Interesting.
Guess you were the 1.

Is marijuana addictive?

Guess you were the 1.
I didnt admit that at all. But i know how you get triggered over talking about flowers, so its ok :D

Is marijuana addictive?

Guess you were the 1.
I didnt admit that at all. But i know how you get triggered over talking about flowers, so its ok :D
pretty soon tipsy will chime in tell us more bullshit about pot.....

Forum List

Back