CDZ Coronavirus Lockdown leads to 'alarming' drop in child abuse reports in LA

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
The hidden price---does anyone think that the child abuse rate in LA has dropped 50%...or that LA is the only place in the US with this situation? I put this in the CDZ as it is an emotionally charged issue--the debate is simple..is it worth it? More to the point..what can be done to reestablish some oversight over the vulnerable in our population...and/or....could this be a 'slippery slope' intrusion into the family's rights to privacy and freedom to run their families as they see fit?

On a typical day, up to 1,000 calls and reports of suspected child abuse and neglect flood into the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and Department of Children and Family Services.
Eagle-eyed teachers, doctors, dentists, counselors, coaches — an army of mandated reporters across California — along with security guards, janitors and observant parents typically fill the hotline with reports of suspected child abuse or neglect. Those calls, investigators say, often save lives.
But since the outbreak of the coronavirus has shuttered schools, curtailed medical visits and largely hidden the lives of children behind closed doors, the reports of suspected abuse have dropped by as much as 50%. The drop began almost immediately after California began its stay-at-home orders to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
“We usually have a lot of eyes and ears out there making sure children are safe. But right now we don’t know what is happening behind closed doors,” Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said Monday in an interview.

“These numbers are alarming because of the magnitude of the decline,” Villaneuva said.
Those declines also come as his deputies are responding to an uptick in reports of domestic violence as residents are under stay-at-home orders to prevent the disease’s spread.
In response to the drop in abuse reports, Villanueva said he is launching a plan “to do welfare checks on our most at-risk kids with patrol personnel.” He said he is working with the Special Victims Unit, the Department of Children and Family Services and other stakeholders to develop a way to identify high-risk minors who may not have contact with their schools and then have patrol deputies do some form of a welfare check.

My question would be, to get a better perspective, how many of those calls before turned out to be unfounded? Then you have a better perspective of whether it is statistically meaningful .

While I understand the concern, I can see all kinds of problems in trying to implement something like this...

My question would be, to get a better perspective, how many of those calls before turned out to be unfounded? Then you have a better perspective of whether it is statistically meaningful .
A 50% drop seems to cover that...I doubt that fully half of all reports are false/unfounded. But if that is your take...

California is fixing that. Child abuse is no longer a violent crime. Child abusers are being released under the compassionate release program.

A 50% drop seems to cover that...I doubt that fully half of all reports are false/unfounded. But if that is your take...
many possible culprits as one said they are safe at home and not being exposed to dangers and the other more likely cause is no contact with people there is no one to notice and no one to then make a report. I hope at leat part of it is them being at home safe.

It’s not my take. Unless we know, we can’t know whether it is statistically meaningful. Are some being missed? Unfortunately, probably. Hopefully not a lot.

There is no reason to believe that the drop in calls can be accounted for by a disproportionate drop in those that would turn out to be unfounded

Because they are safe at home.....
Dude! Most child abuse happens at home, and we know that domestic violence-which goes hand in hand with child abuse is up during the lockdown. So -that makes no sense
Most child abuse happens at home...but not all....children are with their parents 75% of each day without the stay at home order so to correlate this with the shut in is a fallacy....what is the reasoning behind a story like this?...to try and prove all parents are monsters?...parental child abuse is way down when compared to the times when shut ins were a way of life....today's parents are good for the most part so I don't understand the whole reason for posting this in the first place....

Dude! Most child abuse happens at home, and we know that domestic violence-which goes hand in hand with child abuse is up during the lockdown. So -that makes no sense
Most child abuse happens at home...but not all....children are with their parents 75% of each day without the stay at home order so to correlate this with the shut in is a fallacy....what is the reasoning behind a story like this?...to try and prove all parents are monsters?...parental child abuse is way down when compared to the times when shut ins were a way of life....today's parents are good for the most part so I don't understand the whole reason for posting this in the first place....
Thank you for that brilliant thesis on child abuse and neglect, and the family. You must have years of experience in child welfare and advanced degrees in education, psychology, and sociology to have such a vast and deep knowledge.

No is trying to prove that all parents are monsters. The point of the post is that the fact abuse reports are down does not mean that abuse itself is down. Why do you have a need to say differently?

Thank you for that brilliant thesis on child abuse and neglect, and the family. You must have years of experience in child welfare and advanced degrees in education, psychology, and sociology to have such a vast and deep knowledge.

No is trying to prove that all parents are monsters. The point of the post is that the fact abuse reports are down does not mean that abuse itself is down. Why do you have a need to say differently?
alarming' drop in child abuse reports
What is alarming about that?....kids are home where they are safe....makes sense if you ask me....that is why I ask what the point of the story is....

alarming' drop in child abuse reports
What is alarming about that?....kids are home where they are safe....makes sense if you ask me....that is why I ask what the point of the story is....
I just explained what is alarming. Why must you be so stubborn? You should get a handle on the difference between what you want to believe and reality

1587587630186.png

The reality of the situation is that many teachers and administrators will look the other way when it's child abusing child on their watch and their premises. Especially if the child doing the abusing is someone "privileged".

*****SMILE*****

:)

Forum List

Back