Copyright Infringement

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Ravi, May 2, 2008.

1. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,830
    What are torrents?

2. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,424
    To paraphrase, they're very small files that have information on them which when executed by a Torrent program, they'll download a specific thing...such as movies, games, music, what have you.

I use a program called BitTorrent. It's the newest way to do Peer-to-Peer file sharing. You can D/L an entire movie in a matter of minutes, to a couple hours. It's frowned upon because it supposedly violates copyright laws, but I'm at a loss for understanding how that can be unless you are selling what you are downloading on the side. It's the same stupid ass argument that was made during the Napster proceedings.

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    heheh

remember the days of old when the Irc was the only source for those kinds of things?

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You don't think downloading someone else's copyrighted material in its entirety, whether or not is for your sole use, is a copyright infringement?

It's basically taking a product that is for sale without paying for it.

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    Because you're stealing someone's copyrighted material.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,424
    People were copying cassette tapes back in the day, and people burn CD's and DVD's now. I mean, CD/DVD burners aren't illegal, but the actual purpose they serve is to copy material that is copyrighted, which according to many is illegal. I mean, why else would I buy a DVD burner, for instance, unless I wanted to burn DVD's? Why would I even BURN said DVD's, if not to make additional copies of originally copyrighted material for my own viewing pleasure, or the viewing pleasure of a friend, what have you?

The fact that people choose to share the things they've LEGALLY copied should not be considered a crime. While there are obviously many people who abuse it and take, take, take...there are many others who enjoy the "try before you buy" factor.

I agree that a case can be made for both sides, but there is an existing precedence within the market that I think kind of hurts the case of the anti-file sharing crowd.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    Add in the fact copyright laws have been changed to nearly perpetual rights and I would argue some people ( not me, I buy) see it as a Robin Hood thing.

8. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,424
    Jillian, I'm well versed in copyright policy. I have a side business producing music, and I've copyrighted 100's of tracks. People are free to use my music for anything that isn't for profit, i.e. mixtapes, recording demos, etc.

I'm not making a dime off anything I D/L that is copyrighted.

Have you ever copied a cassette tape? Burned a CD or DVD? If so, how do you justify it against the claim you are making about copyrights? How do you justify the whole burning thing to begin with? Does Sony really think the only thing their products are going to be burning are royalty-free material? How would they even maintain a presence within the market for their products, if their products weren't being bought at mass-quantities for the purpose of consumers to copy their CD's and DVD's, including copyrighted ones?

9. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,424
    Perhaps that is so with many file sharers, but that shouldn't have to negatively affect the file-sharers that do it with good intentions.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You can buy bongs legally too, but it's STILL illegal to use them for what they are designed.

The "existing precedence" to which you refer is called copyright infringement and theft.

For someone to legally copy something they have to pay. For them to turn around and share it IS a crime because each individual copy that is not paid for is stolen material.

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. I'm just saying it IS illegal and your opinion doesn't make it any less so. Personally, if I produced something through my efforts to sell to pay my bills, I'd be a more than a little pissed about people not paying for it.