copper thief killed on freeway

Scrap copper was a decent payout a few years back. I bought a storage locker at auction that had a bunch of copper scrap and made enough back to turn a profit on that unit. I’ve know people who made decent beer money stripping it out of cords while watching football in the garage.
Depending on the going price some are desperate enough to break into substations and steal it. Some get some copper and some get burned to a crisp. I guess it depends on luck and knowledge.

Depending on the going price some are desperate enough to break into substations and steal it. Some get some copper and some get burned to a crisp. I guess it depends on luck and knowledge.
If you play with fire you’re going to get burnt. I wouldn’t be upset some scum fried himself trying to steal copper out of a substation I would be upset I didn’t have ac for a few hours. The innocent suffering is always something that pisses me off

If you play with fire you’re going to get burnt. I wouldn’t be upset some scum fried himself trying to steal copper out of a substation I would be upset I didn’t have ac for a few hours. The innocent suffering is always something that pisses me off
Yeah, I am with yah. Better they fry to a crisp then the utility worker who gets fried the next week because he didn't realize equipment wasn't grounded.

As far as losing AC, it's very possible his cooking to a crisp would just read as an increased load and not trip the station.

on the black market i guess
In both markets. At one time plumbers and electricians left off cuts, now they take the lot.

Not only that, they take what's lying under floorboards from previous jobs, even old left wiring and pipes are cut out and taken.

Not only that, if a plumber is replacing a bathroom suite, they strip all the copper out and reinstall with plastic, and charge the customer.

Not only that, electricians will change a mains cable to a secondary consumer unit claiming it failed a test in order to get the copper and charge for a new cable.

So in effect, even parts of that is classed as theft. The trade throw it in their garages, then come December go weigh it in. The few thousand they get gives them a great Christmas.

Network Rail in the UK now encase new cables in concrete.

Forum List

Back