Cop vows to end 'white silence' and 'challenge racism at work'

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Cops at war over photo of Pittsburgh police chief with sign demanding an end to 'white silence' with a pledge to 'challenge racism at work'
  • New Chief Cameron McLay was photographed with the sign during a city New Year's Eve celebration
  • The sign, which also had a Twitter hash tag that says '#end white silence,' has infuriated the police union
  • Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto has applauded the move, going so far as to repost the photo on his own Facebook page
  • Fraternal Order of Police president Howard McQuillan says the move labels the force as 'racist, merely by the color of our skin'
By Associated Press

Published: 17:30 EST, 4 January 2015 | Updated: 18:01 EST, 5 January 2015

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...efs-anti-racism-sign-criticized.html#comments
    Pittsburgh's new police chief has been criticized by a police union president for being photographed on New Year's Eve holding a sign that says: 'I resolve to challenge racism @ work.'

The sign also has a Twitter hash tag that says '# end white silence.' Chief Cameron McLay was photographed holding up the sign that someone had brought to the city's annual First Night celebration.

Mayor Bill Peduto said he saw the picture on social media and liked it so much he re-posted it on his own Facebook page.

Scroll down for video

246ED5B800000578-2896559-image-a-3_1420478411856.jpg

+2
    Condemnation: Pittsburgh's new police chief has been criticized by a police union president after being photographed on New Year's Eve holding a sign that said: 'I resolve to challenge racism @ work.'

Read more: Pittsburgh police chief Cameron McLay in photo demanding end to white silence Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Good for him and I hope others join his fight, but I hope he doesn't end up accidentally shot by a fellow cop.

Cops at war over photo of Pittsburgh police chief with sign demanding an end to 'white silence' with a pledge to 'challenge racism at work'
  • New Chief Cameron McLay was photographed with the sign during a city New Year's Eve celebration
  • The sign, which also had a Twitter hash tag that says '#end white silence,' has infuriated the police union
  • Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto has applauded the move, going so far as to repost the photo on his own Facebook page
  • Fraternal Order of Police president Howard McQuillan says the move labels the force as 'racist, merely by the color of our skin'
By Associated Press

Published: 17:30 EST, 4 January 2015 | Updated: 18:01 EST, 5 January 2015

• Pittsburgh's new police chief has been criticized by a police union president for being photographed on New Year's Eve holding a sign that says: 'I resolve to challenge racism @ work.'

The sign also has a Twitter hash tag that says '# end white silence.' Chief Cameron McLay was photographed holding up the sign that someone had brought to the city's annual First Night celebration.

Mayor Bill Peduto said he saw the picture on social media and liked it so much he re-posted it on his own Facebook page.

Scroll down for video

246ED5B800000578-2896559-image-a-3_1420478411856.jpg

+2
    Condemnation: Pittsburgh's new police chief has been criticized by a police union president after being photographed on New Year's Eve holding a sign that said: 'I resolve to challenge racism @ work.'

Read more: Pittsburgh police chief Cameron McLay in photo demanding end to white silence Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Good for him and I hope others join his fight, but I hope he doesn't end up accidentally shot by a fellow cop.

Or intentionally shot by a black thug.

-Geaux

Post #2 and 3 ^^^

Please don't change the subject.

Just for once, stick with the topic of the OP.

Thanks.

Without clicking on embedded links, I can't figure if he's protesting Black racism White racism or racism in general.

Yeah, that's a lot of work but you could just look at the sign posted in the OP. That would be a start.

Good luck.

I am from Pittsburgh. I personally do not feel that this sign is calling the police department racist. The police union in Pittsburgh is still smarting over the fact that the mayor chose to hire a Chief from outside the department. Considering the last Chief; Nate Harper, is currently in federal prison it seems like a prudent move to choose a man outside of the department and the union.

Forum List

Back