Cop shoots self while trying to shoot dog playing with kids

Cops are indeed trained to shoot dogs if they get in the way.

Beware, if you have a dog, make sure it's completely confined if police are anywhere near.
When it comes to dogs, they shoot, and ask questions later.

CaféAuLait;8952033 said:
I think the point here is that a supposedly trained officer ended up shooting himself instead of the dog. Why doesn't anyone find that disturbing? I sure as heck do.

He probably reacted too quick as the animal was trying to attack him and did not unsnap his thumb break. Cops are human after all...

I don't care what the excuses, I have no faith in a cop that shoots himself while drawing his gun.

You don't have to have faith in him at all, the simple matter of fact is people make mistakes.-- especially when they are under stress and afraid when a dog is attacking them. It does not mean he is a gun nut as suggested by the OP. IMO It means he probably needs more training on how to handle a weapon if he believes his life to be in danger.

Bottom line is that, just as we've seen so many times before, a froot loop with a gun shot himself instead of his intended target. Its worse because he is supposedly an officer of the law.

We should all be happy he didn't gun down one of the playing kids.

A 'froot loop'?

The guy was a police officer. Am I to infer that you would approve of disarming all cops? Why stop there? How about the ATF, the FBI, ...the Bureau of Land Management....

You might be on to something here Luddly.

We always suspected you were one of those Ron Paul Anarchists.

CaféAuLait;8952753 said:
CaféAuLait;8952033 said:
He probably reacted too quick as the animal was trying to attack him and did not unsnap his thumb break. Cops are human after all...

I don't care what the excuses, I have no faith in a cop that shoots himself while drawing his gun.

You don't have to have faith in him at all, the simple matter of fact is people make mistakes.-- especially when they are under stress and afraid when a dog is attacking them. It does not mean he is a gun nut as suggested by the OP. IMO It means he probably needs more training on how to handle a weapon if he believes his life to be in danger.

BINGO!!!! He shouldn't have been able to be a cop until he was fully trained.

CaféAuLait;8952753 said:

I'm sure he was fully trained before allowed on the street with a weapon. Many cops and other professions need additional training tho when confronted with a real life situation.

Calif. TV station films dog calmly playing with kids after cop shoots himself trying to kill it | The Raw Story

A California deputy accidentally shot himself while trying to kill a dog that he said was threatening his life on Wednesday, but video captured by a local television station later showed the animal much smaller than reported and peacefully playing with children.

According to a Riverside County sheriff’s spokesperson, the deputy was serving an eviction notice at around 2 p.m. on Wednesday when a “large” dog tried to attack him, KCAL reported.

“A dog came at the deputy in an aggressive manner,” Deputy Armando Munoz said, according to The Press-Enterprise. “The deputy, (attempting to defend himself) pulled his service weapon, shot one round, and injured himself in the leg.”

“He’s OK. He has non life-threatening injuries.”

Munoz said that the dog’s aggressive behavior ended when it was startled by the gunfire.

When KNBC film crews arrived on the scene later on Wednesday, they found a medium-sized pit bull — named “Precious” — confined to a pen, and calmly playing with several children. The dog’s owner admitted that it had been barking when the officer arrived.

Animal Services did not take the dog into custody because there was no evidence it or the owner had done anything wrong.

Video at the link but basically, this is just another gun nutter who can't hit what he thinks he's aiming at.

When someone in a official capacity tries to enter a yard and is approached by a barking dog, it is reasonable to be very concerned about getting bitten; if the dog is a pit-bull or any large, potentially violent dog, the concern is much higher and reasonable. I don't think the person should pull a gun but should retreat and find another way of carrying out his official duty. He could expect violence from the people inside the house too as he was serving an eviction notice. I would have called for back up.

However, I think the deputy is justified in being concerned regarding the potential lethal violence of a pit-bull.

But, the most disturbing thing for me in this incident is that the owners of this home have children, quite small to rather small children, who are playing with a pit-bull. Anyone who has children and has a pit-bull should be reported to children’s services. No one should be allowed to have that breed of dog around young children or the elderly.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8951935 said:
Re; your title

Cop shoots self while trying to shoot dog playing with kids

You are full of it. That is not what happened at all and you know it. Why the need to lie?

Because people like lugnut have to lie to make points, otherwise they have nothing.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

I think the point here is that a supposedly trained officer ended up shooting himself instead of the dog. Why doesn't anyone find that disturbing? I sure as heck do.

Where the hell was he aiming when he pulled the trigger, is what I want to know.

CaféAuLait;8952847 said:
CaféAuLait;8952753 said:

I'm sure he was fully trained before allowed on the street with a weapon. Many cops and other professions need additional training tho when confronted with a real life situation.

Considering he shot himself instead of the dog, I think it's obvious he was not fully trained, and you yourself admitted he needed more training.

Calif. TV station films dog calmly playing with kids after cop shoots himself trying to kill it | The Raw Story

A California deputy accidentally shot himself while trying to kill a dog that he said was threatening his life on Wednesday, but video captured by a local television station later showed the animal much smaller than reported and peacefully playing with children.

According to a Riverside County sheriff’s spokesperson, the deputy was serving an eviction notice at around 2 p.m. on Wednesday when a “large” dog tried to attack him, KCAL reported.

“A dog came at the deputy in an aggressive manner,” Deputy Armando Munoz said, according to The Press-Enterprise. “The deputy, (attempting to defend himself) pulled his service weapon, shot one round, and injured himself in the leg.”

“He’s OK. He has non life-threatening injuries.”

Munoz said that the dog’s aggressive behavior ended when it was startled by the gunfire.

When KNBC film crews arrived on the scene later on Wednesday, they found a medium-sized pit bull — named “Precious” — confined to a pen, and calmly playing with several children. The dog’s owner admitted that it had been barking when the officer arrived.

Animal Services did not take the dog into custody because there was no evidence it or the owner had done anything wrong.

Video at the link but basically, this is just another gun nutter who can't hit what he thinks he's aiming at.

When someone in a official capacity tries to enter a yard and is approached by a barking dog, it is reasonable to be very concerned about getting bitten; if the dog is a pit-bull or any large, potentially violent dog, the concern is much higher and reasonable. I don't think the person should pull a gun but should retreat and find another way of carrying out his official duty. He could expect violence from the people inside the house too as he was serving an eviction notice. I would have called for back up.

However, I think the deputy is justified in being concerned regarding the potential lethal violence of a pit-bull.

But, the most disturbing thing for me in this incident is that the owners of this home have children, quite small to rather small children, who are playing with a pit-bull. Anyone who has children and has a pit-bull should be reported to children’s services. No one should be allowed to have that breed of dog around young children or the elderly.

Oh please, some pit bulls are perfectly harmless. There's one just down the road from here that is a sweetheart. And FYI, if you walk into the dogs territory and don't belong there, almost all dogs will get ferocious. Why would you have one that doesn't protect you and yours?

Why couldn't that asshole cop been with the one's who shot the poor guy camping out or the 92 year old WWII vet in the nursing home? Maybe we should train all cops like this idiot. We would all be safer and a poor guy camping out would still be alive. So would old veteran.

Oh please, some pit bulls are perfectly harmless. There's one just down the road from here that is a sweetheart. And FYI, if you walk into the dogs territory and don't belong there, almost all dogs will get ferocious. Why would you have one that doesn't protect you and yours?

Most pit bulls are harmless. The vast majority of them won't hurt a fly.

Bottom line is that, just as we've seen so many times before, a froot loop with a gun shot himself instead of his intended target. Its worse because he is supposedly an officer of the law.

We should all be happy he didn't gun down one of the playing kids.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

CaféAuLait;8952847 said:

Considering he shot himself instead of the dog, I think it's obvious he was not fully trained, and you yourself admitted he needed more training.

You are not getting what I said, when faced with the realities of some situations, additional training is sometimes called for. It happens with doctors who freeze up during a trauma, soldiers in stressful conditions, cops in stressful conditions. Firefighters.

You can only teach so much in a book and observation. When you are put into the situation who knows what might happen, this is why, if needed additional training involving stressful situations is offered.

I also believe more information may be needed. We don't know why he shot himself, I just though of one possibility in an above post, I don't know.

What if the dog ran up on him and he aimed for it and the dog hit his arm? There are many more possibilities, all of the info needs to be released to understand exactly what happened.

You're nuts.

You're nuts.

No, I am not. The majority of pit bulls have not attacked humans, have they?

Forum List

Back