Conservatives Beginning to Recognize Global Warming

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 1549, Sep 15, 2006.

1. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yesterday I picked up a copy of The Economist. Much to my surprise, the conservative magazine had put Global Warming on their cover. Yes, this is the same magazine that has denied Global Warming's existence.

The Drudge Report still linked the new NOAA report under the misleading title: "2006 temps fail to break records".

The headline did not say what the report revealed: 47 states had 'higher than normal' summer temps and 20 states were 'much higher than normal'. Those are just summer temps. The January to August averages reveal a worse picture: 5 states set records, all were at least 'higher than normal' and 34 were 'much higher than normal'.

The drilling in Greenland has revealed that in 120,000 years the Earth has never warmed so quickly.

The Economist article emphasized that the problem will get solved. I think it is time for the Republicans to dump there 901st rule science so we can solve this before it has any kind of major impact on our lives.

2. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    There were scientists around 120000 years ago that documented this??!! wow...

3. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    As cute as your response was, it probably has to do with geological patterns and all that.

4. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Perhaps based on theory?

5. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Perhaps that too :)

6. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish it were true...but alas where I live N/Nevada Mother nature is a little early...Low 35 high 55...seems as if fall is about a month early at least where I live...so much for 'Al' the know it alls theory!:teeth:

On the light side and good side...My GD has her second run today for the Cross Country season at Lake Tahoe...last night I told her it was going to be cold and maybe wet tomorrow...she laughed and said...'no problemo...I will cut at least 5 minutes off my time for the 3.5 mile run...want to get the hell outta there'...Life is so cool when ya have cool kids...:happy2:

7. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ice measures heat and precipitation the same way as tree rings. Years are represented by ice layers, and ice layers vary based on climate.

Global warming is not based on a single day, week, month of the year--it is based on an overall trend. In fact, your state just had its hottest summer in its recorded history.

8. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Sorry Dude I live here...I experience that which occurs on a daily basis...hottest summer in recorded history...lol...and ya live here? Gimme a break( Nevada's temperature and rain,snow whatever changes from minute to minute)...Al Gore wannabee...and for the record I grew up in California...and now ya will tell me I have no knowledge of the history of Californias hottest recorded month?

9. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    A link I picked up on the Drudge Report:

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2700.htm

As you can see, Nevada experienced the warmest June-August period in the state's recorded history. Your subjective experience is great, but I am going to trust NOAA.

10. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

and this is where you and yours fail history...if it is said on-line it must be true...and you and Al invented the internet...no? Sorry I am old fashioned I have to experience it to believe it!...Call it Missouri complex..but hey it works for me..what I see is what I get...gotta problem with this vote for Al...he will save your sorry ass...(borrowed from Pale Riders analogies):guitar1: