Conservative fired for his stance on abortion

Conservatives react with fury after The Atlantic fires columnist for extreme abortion comments

And once again we see liberals unable to accept a dissenting view! How totalitarian of them. Its not that libtards want to do away with free speech because in their minds it should be only THEIR kind of speech that should be free of regulation and control. They want to abolish ALL forms of dissenting views and eventually ALL ideologies but liberalism. I hope he sues for discrimination.

Free speech is a function of the government, not private entities. A private company has ever right to fire someone for saying something that could hurt their bottom line. Only a statist would think otherwise.

A private company has every right to fire someone for whatever reason they want. It's the conceit of statist social engineering that imagines otherwise.

The social engineering intolerants will tell you that a company owner does not have freedom of speech to fire someone ie baker case.

Conservatives react with fury after The Atlantic fires columnist for extreme abortion comments

And once again we see liberals unable to accept a dissenting view! How totalitarian of them. Its not that libtards want to do away with free speech because in their minds it should be only THEIR kind of speech that should be free of regulation and control. They want to abolish ALL forms of dissenting views and eventually ALL ideologies but liberalism. I hope he sues for discrimination.

Free speech is a function of the government, not private entities. A private company has ever right to fire someone for saying something that could hurt their bottom line. Only a statist would think otherwise.

A private company has every right to fire someone for whatever reason they want. It's the conceit of statist social engineering that imagines otherwise.

The social engineering intolerants will tell you that a company owner does not have freedom of speech to fire someone ie baker case.

And they are wrong. If this thread (and many others like it that I've seen lately) is any indication, conservatives agree with them.

Yep, the radicals on both sides get it wrong.

Thank you for repeating back what I just posted

I meant to emphasize that it doesn't matter whether it will hurt their bottom line. The company shouldn't have to justify their hiring and firing decisions to government.

And they are wrong. If this thread (and many others like it that I've seen lately) is any indication, conservatives agree with them.

I agree with atlantic.

What he said sounds a lot like what Kathy Griffin did graphically when she held up the severed head of Trump. I think both were in bad taste but I don't recall conservatives rushing to the defense of Griffin and her freedom of expression.

No anywhere near Griffin's disgusting display.
He was advocating hanging after due process.
Well within the Constitution.

Thank you for repeating back what I just posted

I meant to emphasize that it doesn't matter whether it will hurt their bottom line. The company shouldn't have to justify their hiring and firing decisions to government.

Gotcha! And I agree. nobody is guaranteed a job and a company should not have to give any reason other than "because we said so".

So, a newspaper, a private company, should allow journalists at their company to write whatever they like regardless of company policy?

The guy has free speech, but not when he's representing his company.

Trump has fired half of his team because he didn't agree with something they did or said, does this mean he can't cope with dissenting opinion?
He didn't express his OPINION in the magazine/newspaper capacity it was on his own free time and away from work. He was fired for his political view. Its discrimination. Its duly noted leftists and even some so called conservatives approve of discrimination when someones view goes against their own.

And at what point does someone stop representing the company they work for?

He works for a company which has political opinions, if he goes against the grain then he can be dismissed.

No doubt if it happened to a left winger, you'd be right behind it.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
>

I'm not sure what the issue is. If one sees abortion as murder, than it is perfectly reasonable to view a woman who has an abortion in the same light as a woman the contracts with a killer to kill her husband.

>>>>

So, a newspaper, a private company, should allow journalists at their company to write whatever they like regardless of company policy?

Trump has fired half of his team because he didn't agree with something they did or said, does this mean he can't cope with dissenting opinion?
He didn't express his OPINION in the magazine/newspaper capacity it was on his own free time and away from work. He was fired for his political view. Its discrimination. Its duly noted leftists and even some so called conservatives approve of discrimination when someones view goes against their own.
If a church worker exercised her free speech on her own time by being a stripper, the church would be entirely justified to fire her immediately.

I'm pro-life, but frigidweirdo is correct. If an employee behaves against the policies and beliefs of their employer, that employer is justified in firing them.

And there's aren't a lot of pro-lifers who believe women who get abortions should be hanged. That's an extreme viewpoint, and the abortion debate has been controlled by extremists for far too long.

“Women should face the death penalty if they have an abortion...” that was his comment. That is not just insulting it is nutz. He just turned off all liberals, moderates and many centralist conservatives. Not a good business move.

Good riddens!

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

he should have turned off all conservatives, too... because he's a nutcase.

no?

I hope all seven conservatives that read the Atlantic organize a boycott. :lol:

Well if that was done ACROSS the board then OK but its ONLY conservatives/pro life/pro gun folks that get attacked so nope he should sue for discrimination

He works for a company which has political opinions, if he goes against the grain then he can be dismissed.

When he isn't doing ON THE CLOCK work for the company he works for. He wasn't he was on his own free time using his own twitter page to make his personal comments.

Well if that was done ACROSS the board then OK but its ONLY conservatives/pro life/pro gun folks that get attacked so nope he should sue for discrimination

When he isn't doing ON THE CLOCK work for the company he works for. He wasn't he was on his own free time using his own twitter page to make his personal comments.

I do not think political ideology is one of the "protected" classes, so he could not sue.

It is irrelevant if he was on the clock or not, if what he did could harm the bottom line of the company, they have every right to fire him. He has no right to have a job there.

I do not think political ideology is one of the "protected" classes, so he could not sue.

It is irrelevant if he was on the clock or not, if what he did could harm the bottom line of the company, they have every right to fire him. He has no right to have a job there.

Oh, he can sue. The question is whether the judge will throw out the case. Which is what would happen. Same result.''

You can sue for anything, whether the case can proceed or is dismissed is the question.

>>>>

As long as you realize you're endorsing the concept of anti-discrimination law. But I can't do that.

“Women should face the death penalty if they have an abortion...” that was his comment. That is not just insulting it is nutz. He just turned off all liberals, moderates and many centralist conservatives. Not a good business move.

Good riddens!

Thanks for proving my point....

Look I find equally offensive the line, “pro-choice no matter no restrictions.” Which means a women can have an abortion 1 day before labor. I find that equally unconscionable.

It's only conservatives huh? Or is it that you only SEE it happening to conservatives because conservatives will shout loudly that their rights are being infringed, when liberals know this isn't the case?

You can't make simple assumptions here.

Yes, I understand that he was on his own time.

Now, imagine I'm on my own time, on my own twitter page and I write "My boss is a fucking cock", would I get fired if the company found out about it? And if yes, why would it be justified?

It's only conservatives huh? Or is it that you only SEE it happening to conservatives because conservatives will shout loudly that their rights are being infringed, when liberals know this isn't the case?

You can't make simple assumptions here.

Yes, I understand that he was on his own time.

Now, imagine I'm on my own time, on my own twitter page and I write "My boss is a fucking cock", would I get fired if the company found out about it? And if yes, why would it be justified?

Very few times do liberal comments and actions lead to discipline. Think about that teacher who called the 9/11 victims NAZIs.

That one old and disgusting journal that went on the antisemitic rant was disciplined for a while but was back!

Yet a conservative farts in the wind and he is given walking papers.

Forum List

Back