Congress: Same hours, half the work

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, recently called on House Speaker John Boehner to nix additional recesses, although some saw it as more of a political move.

"Instead of recessing yet again, the House should remain at work and pass critical legislation that will create jobs for the middle class that will actually be signed into law. Republicans must not run out the clock on the economy," Pelosi wrote Boehner in a letter.

The House recessed anyway.

CNN reached out to Boehner's office for comment, but the office referred questions to other representatives.

Congress: Same hours, half the work - CNN.com

I am so glad the Republicans took back the House....

I would prefer the Congress to meet far less often. They work much too hard.

Well, if they are not going to work, why the hell are we paying them?

Rank-and-File Members:
The current salary (2011-2012) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year.

I would suggest paying them on a per diem basis, like in many state legislatures. 40 days per year should be enough to do their work in Washington, DC. Let them engage in a productive profession and ensure their own upkeep for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, recently called on House Speaker John Boehner to nix additional recesses, although some saw it as more of a political move.

"Instead of recessing yet again, the House should remain at work and pass critical legislation that will create jobs for the middle class that will actually be signed into law. Republicans must not run out the clock on the economy," Pelosi wrote Boehner in a letter.

CNN reached out to Boehner's office for comment, but the office referred questions to other representatives.

Me too. Less is definitely more in this case. The less they do, the better off our country is. We don't need any more ridiculous 'Steroids in Baseball', 'Banning Light Bulbs', and 'NDAA/Patriot Act' disgraces. I've said for many years that our Congress should meet less often. A 'Do-Nothing Congress' is exactly what we need at this point. When they're away, we know they're not destroying the country.

Me too. Less is definitely more in this case. The less they do, the better off our country is. We don't need any more ridiculous 'Steroids in Baseball', 'Banning Light Bulbs', and 'NDAA/Patriot Act' disgraces. I've said for many years that our Congress should meet less often. A 'Do-Nothing Congress' is exactly what we need at this point. When they're away, we know they're not destroying the country.

So, we are paying them to NOT do what we voted them in to do? I thought we were broke?

They need time off to raise more cash for their re-election campaigns and to make public appearances in their districts bragging about how much pork they brought home.

So let's give them a break, huh? :badgrin:

Show up at their public appearances and ask them uncomfortable questions.

So, we are paying them to NOT do what we voted them in to do? I thought we were broke?

I haven't done a real study on this but I'm pretty sure that the harder Congress works (i.e. the more days it meets) the more broke the US gets.

I would prefer they meet less often. That's how i've felt for many years. Their over-reaches have become more bizarre & Totalitarian by the year. We desperately need 'Do-Nothing Congresses' for many years to come. Big Government passed 40,000 more new Laws in 2011 alone. I mean how many more Laws do we really need? When is enough, enough for Big Brother?

Go to their town hall meetings and ask them questions that make them wish they had stayed in DC.

And no, I don't mean questions about Obama's golfing or Michelle's vacations.

I would prefer the Congress to meet far less often. They work much too hard.

Well, if they are not going to work, why the hell are we paying them?

Rank-and-File Members:
The current salary (2011-2012) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year.

There's a great many people in this country to which this question applies.

I haven't done a real study on this but I'm pretty sure that the harder Congress works (i.e. the more days it meets) the more broke the US gets.

Yes, the more they meet, the worse off we all are. That should be pretty obvious to anyone with common sense.

Forum List

Back