Congrats to Dems. on the Cap & trade bill win!

Despite House Energy and Commerce Chairman Henry Waxman's many payoffs to Members, rural and Blue Dog Democrats remain wary of voting for a bill that will impose crushing costs on their home-district businesses and consumers. The leadership's solution to this problem is to simply claim the bill defies the laws of economics.

Their gambit got a boost this week, when the Congressional Budget Office did an analysis of what has come to be known as the Waxman-Markey bill. According to the CBO, the climate legislation would cost the average household only $175 a year by 2020. Edward Markey, Mr. Waxman's co-author, instantly set to crowing that the cost of upending the entire energy economy would be no more than a postage stamp a day for the average household. Amazing. A closer look at the CBO analysis finds that it contains so many caveats as to render it useless
The Cap and Tax Fiction - WSJ.com

It's pretty clear in order to get this bill passed it was a free for all gift bag. With the noted exception of the people that have to pay for it and thats the taxpayers.

Despite House Energy and Commerce Chairman Henry Waxman's many payoffs to Members, rural and Blue Dog Democrats remain wary of voting for a bill that will impose crushing costs on their home-district businesses and consumers. The leadership's solution to this problem is to simply claim the bill defies the laws of economics.

Their gambit got a boost this week, when the Congressional Budget Office did an analysis of what has come to be known as the Waxman-Markey bill. According to the CBO, the climate legislation would cost the average household only $175 a year by 2020. Edward Markey, Mr. Waxman's co-author, instantly set to crowing that the cost of upending the entire energy economy would be no more than a postage stamp a day for the average household. Amazing. A closer look at the CBO analysis finds that it contains so many caveats as to render it useless

It's pretty clear in order to get this bill passed it was a free for all gift bag. With the noted exception of the people that have to pay for it and thats the taxpayers.
sarah still doesnt understand that if the cost to generate electricity goes up, that extra cost is passed on to the CONSUMERS of that electricity

Not really. It isn't an article, it's Factcheck.

It was a completely straightforward presentation of the facts. Gore's homes were not energy efficient in 2006 and they are now in 2009.

Not hard to understand.
I can't believe your defending one of the biggest individual energy users in our nation, Sarah. Are you really this far in the tank for the hard left? Did you even read the rest of my post? Are you Ok with what's could very well happen with unemployment, and the poorest get hit with a tax hike in their everyday life? Think long and hard on this, Sarah, without your partisan glasses on.

And what are you defending, Meister? I think it's Repbulican obstruction which in essence represents your own partisan glasses.

I just left a link to fact check where they say Al Gore is not one of the biggest individual energy users in our nation and you continue to say that is not the case

The rest of your post is not correct either. The poor are not being hit and I wish you would start posting links because I simply don't believe you anymore. Now that I backchecked that one comment and it turned out to be false, I am skeptical from here forward.

Please send me to this link, I tried and came up with zilch.

pulled up to Al’s house, located in the posh Belle Meade section of Nashville, at 8:48pm – right in the middle of Earth Hour. I found that the main spotlights that usually illuminate his 9,000 square foot mansion were dark, but several of the lights inside the house were on.

In fact, most of the windows were lit by the familiar blue-ish hue indicating that floor lamps and ceiling fixtures were off, but TV screens and computer monitors were hard at work. (In other words, his house looked the way most houses look about 1:45am when their inhabitants are distractedly watching “Cheaters” or “Chelsea Lately” reruns.)

The kicker, though, were the dozen or so floodlights grandly highlighting several trees and illuminating the driveway entrance of Gore’s mansion.
Al Gore Leaves The Light On For Ya : Post Politics: Political News and Views in Tennessee

sarah still doesnt understand that if the cost to generate electricity goes up, that extra cost is passed on to the CONSUMERS of that electricity

Or fuel, or food, or goods, or clothing.... All of which depend on energy at some point or another. Take for example Air travel, the only way an aircraft can power itself is with fossil fuels , the nuclear engine died in the 60's. So this is another moronic part of this bill, it aims to reduce carbon emissions by 80% by a specific date. Do you plan on using rubberbands to power aircraft engines?

Or fuel, or food, or goods, or clothing.... All of which depend on energy at some point or another. Take for example Air travel, the only way an aircraft can power itself is with fossil fuels , the nuclear engine died in the 60's. So this is another moronic part of this bill, it aims to reduce carbon emissions by 80% by a specific date. Do you plan on using rubberbands to power aircraft engines?
think AlGore will give up his private jet anytime soon?

Now they are trying to force through this Cap and trade bill before anybody can figure out what is in the bill and what damage it will do to this country. I do hope the Senate will kill this horrorible bill.

We all still have time to influence the votes of our U.S. Senators. Since Senators represent states rather than districts, they are more concerned about job losses and the economic effects of legislation like this on their whole state. I was sure my own Congressman would vote against the bill, so I sent a FAX to the nearest district Congressman, a Democrat with a strong recommendation he vote against it, and if he didn't I would donate $100 to his opponent, even though I could not vote in his district. He still voted for it.

He'd had an apparent propoganda campaign running since the President took office: first there were TV spots put up asking him to support the President's proposed Cap and Trade bill, as if he might not. Then a couple of weeks before the actual vote a new series of TV spots started running asking all of us grateful voters to contact him showing our appreciation for his coming vote supporting of the bill; a done deal. It was a cinch how he was going to vote.

It's not too late to contact your Senator with a FAX - which IMO is much more effective than an E-mail - because it will have both a signature and a hard copy, and not be so easily lost among all the internet "generated" traffic they will receive, with the same text lines. Don't send something pre-drafted from the internet, Instead draft a plain language sentence or two that are not overly technical; because it will likely be a Democrat, an appeal to emotion is superior to an appeal to technical logic.

Even if the Senate approves, if there is a difference between their version and the house version there may be a conference between the House and Senate where changes can occur, which is a last chance to pare it down. Remember most of the Ds in the House are from districts that would not be very well informed about the content of the bill so their Representative had free rein. But the R's (except apparently the nine who voted for it) realize their constituents will be directly effected; if not sooner, then later. But very few states will be positively effected or unscathed by this bill once it is passed, so a greater proportion of Senators become more vulnerable for their vote on this than the Representatives were.

Last edited:

Doesn't make her any more ignorant than all the politicians who are insulated from reality cramming this crap down our throats.

pulled up to Al’s house, located in the posh Belle Meade section of Nashville, at 8:48pm – right in the middle of Earth Hour. I found that the main spotlights that usually illuminate his 9,000 square foot mansion were dark, but several of the lights inside the house were on.

In fact, most of the windows were lit by the familiar blue-ish hue indicating that floor lamps and ceiling fixtures were off, but TV screens and computer monitors were hard at work. (In other words, his house looked the way most houses look about 1:45am when their inhabitants are distractedly watching “Cheaters” or “Chelsea Lately” reruns.)

The kicker, though, were the dozen or so floodlights grandly highlighting several trees and illuminating the driveway entrance of Gore’s mansion.
Al Gore Leaves The Light On For Ya : Post Politics: Political News and Views in Tennessee

They should also check out the big houseboat Al has docked up at Center Hill Lake. It was supposed to be an environmentalists dream, but hasn't quite worked out that way. There is no bio-deisal available at Hurricane Marina so any fuel will have to be trucked in. The boat spends a considerable time plugged in to the dock ( waiting for solar panels last we heard ) and the jet ski hanging off the back is certainly going to add it's own carbon footprint. Not to worry though, Big Al will have plenty of money to buy the carbon offsets that he's selling.

Doesn't make her any more ignorant than all the politicians who are insulated from reality cramming this crap down our throats.
true
but they arent on here defending what they did claiming it to be something that it isnt, like SHE is

They should also check out the big houseboat Al has docked up at Center Hill Lake. It was supposed to be an environmentalists dream, but hasn't quite worked out that way. There is no bio-deisal available at Hurricane Marina so any fuel will have to be trucked in. The boat spends a considerable time plugged in to the dock ( waiting for solar panels last we heard ) and the jet ski hanging off the back is certainly going to add it's own carbon footprint. Not to worry though, Big Al will have plenty of money to buy the carbon offsets that he's selling.

Frankly Vel, I'm not surprised, there are a lot of people in Washington that think they know better than we do whats good for us while they are still living as they wish. Take for example a lot of congressmen and staffers that have their own SUV's with drivers at taxpayer expense. I wonder if by having a large carbon footprint if they can start by riding bikes to congress rather than have the taxpayers pay for their 14 mpg SUV's and their drivers.

CONTRATS--morons--included in the 1200 page bill for the people you voted for--who inserted another 310 pages last night at 3 a.m. in the morning-- INCLUDED- that YOUR local building department & regulations will be invaded by the Federal Government & be usurped by new regulations according to them. Not only that but you will be assigned a NEW appraisor according to Wash D.C standards that will APPRAISE your home "Prior to the sale of your existing home" to insure that your home is up to Washington D.C regulations before you sell.

ENJOY YOUR BILL! Congrats on making certain that you have elected a goverment with no brakes!

BTW--included in this 3 a.m. amendment--those of us that own forest land will be paid to keep our trees. I own at least 200-300 forest trees on my property- & an additional 500 on our other property-SO I AM WAITING for my check from you! Thanks in advance for my check.

PS--PLEASE do not stop breathing & exhaling (emitting CO2) before those of us with trees--checks come in! Thanks so much for breathing!

This's ludicrous in the least sense of the word, i beleive a CTR(Congressional Total ReCall) is in order come 2010 at both levels House and Senate, particularly(House). Its my firm belief that 2010 is the last safety net we're goin to get before our great country is wholly devastated in all avenues. Remember lawyer activist, make laws for lawyers not their constituents, your just a dumb idiot peasant who doesnt know whats good for you???
2010 exercise your constitutional right(while you still have it) to vote'm all out.
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/27284/?ck=1

What you tolerate today, you will entertain tomorrow. -whitelion

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! -Patrick Henry to the Virginia House of Burgesses, 1775

The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases. – Thomas Jefferson

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any body of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. – Noah Webster

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. – Thomas Jefferson (1743-1846), U.S. President, Letter to Abigail Adams, 22 February 1787

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. – James Madison (1751-1836), 4th U.S. President

It is our true policy to steer clear of entangling alliances with any portion of the foreign world. The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is, in extending our commercial relations, to have with them as little political connection as possible. – George Washington

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. – Thomas Jefferson

Resistance to tyranny is service to God. – James Madison

The United States Constitution of modern times is nothing more than a paper bridge between good intentions and inevitable fallacy. - WhiteLion

Last edited:
The title of OP says a lot about a present danger with the MSM and Bills like this one which will impact all of us.

This morning on "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" a guest commentor said that the Democrats deserve credit for having just passed the Cap and Trade (Waxman Markey) Bill as if it were now law. It is still just a bill and won't be law until until the Senate have a say; mentioning the need for Obama to sign it is a moot requirement.

So now, they are suggesting, we can stop worrying about this bill, because it has "been passed".

If you would like to see this bill fall short of passage in the Senate persuade everyone you know who is complacent or uninformed on this issue to send a FAX to both of their US Senators asking them to oppose it.

Go online and get a FAX number so that they don't have to do it for themselves. Suggest to them a few of the reasons it is bad for them, their parents, and their children. If they disagree, don't wast time arguing the issue; forget them and move on.

Anyone can go down to the local hardware store and send a FAX if they don't have a FAX machine in their home. A Fax has the benefit of producing a hard copy, a signature, and the look of an actual letter of concern.

I have noticed that all my FAX letters get responses from my Senators, and they respond in writing by US mail.

Last edited:
Congressman Flake is taking some heat for missing the Cap and Trade vote. He just sent me a quick note and it looks to me like he made the right choice.

Greg,

I hope all is well with you. I continue to enjoy your blog. I don’t know how you have the time, now that you’re a high-flying lawyer and all.

I know that many are questioning why I missed the cap-and-trade vote tonight. I don’t blame them. It’s a terrible bill. I doubt it will survive the Senate, but if it does I look forward to voting against it when it returns to the House.

My daughter, Alexis, was competing tonight in America’s Junior Miss Scholarship Program in Mobile, AL as Arizona’s Junior Miss. I’ve let my daughter down enough over the years. I just couldn’t do it again tonight. She had a tough night. I needed to be here.

Jeff

Jeff Flake congressman from Arizona missed the Vote , not that it would have made a difference given the fact 8 Republicans voted for it. However, while I understand the need to be with family , I understand that VERY well, it would seem a vote like this especially if he was in Mobile, would have been a matter of taking few hours to fly to DC vote and return to Mobile.

Congressman Flake is taking some heat for missing the Cap and Trade vote. He just sent me a quick note and it looks to me like he made the right choice.

Greg,

I hope all is well with you. I continue to enjoy your blog. I don’t know how you have the time, now that you’re a high-flying lawyer and all.

I know that many are questioning why I missed the cap-and-trade vote tonight. I don’t blame them. It’s a terrible bill. I doubt it will survive the Senate, but if it does I look forward to voting against it when it returns to the House.

My daughter, Alexis, was competing tonight in America’s Junior Miss Scholarship Program in Mobile, AL as Arizona’s Junior Miss. I’ve let my daughter down enough over the years. I just couldn’t do it again tonight. She had a tough night. I needed to be here.

Jeff

Jeff Flake congressman from Arizona missed the Vote , not that it would have made a difference given the fact 8 Republicans voted for it. However, while I understand the need to be with family , I understand that VERY well, it would seem a vote like this especially if he was in Mobile, would have been a matter of taking few hours to fly to DC vote and return to Mobile.

Excuse me,, couldn't he cast a NO vote in absentia? Methinks he's just wetting his finger and holding it up to determine which way his political wind is blowing.

The last thing a fragile economy needs is a new energy tax, yet that’s essentially what this cap and trade bill is,” said Flake. “This bill is more about generating revenue for the federal government than it is about addressing climate change.”

Unfortunately, Congressman Flake was unable to vote on the bill due to a family obligation. Had he been able to vote today, he would have voted against it. Unless the bill is changed substantially, Congressman Flake will vote against the cap and trade conference report when it comes back to the House.
US Congressman Jeff Flake

He's taking a little heat here locally for it but Flake is a pretty good congressman.

Which brings us to Jeff Flake, who is becoming a master of this. When Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama spouted platitudes about openness in government (without really taking any steps to achieve it) Flake came along and introduced bill after bill challenging the Democrats put their money where their mouth is on earmarks and transparency. I have always been a big fan of Congressman Jeff Flake, who represents a district not far away from my home. Though we don’t agree on every issue, there are few, if any, politicians whose judgment I trust more.

Flake’s most recent initiative is one close to my heart. As readers know, I have good scientific reasons for believing the threat of CO2 emissions has been grossly overstated. However, if we are going to commit to reducing CO2, we might as well do it intelligently, and Flake’s proposal is very close to one I have been pushing for some time:
Conservative House members Jeff Flake (R-AZ) and Bob Inglis (R-SC), along with Rep. Dan Lipinski (D-IL), have introduced an alternative to the cap-and-trade proposal developed by House Democrats: HR 2380, the “Raise Wages, Cut Carbon” Act of 2009. Their proposal is for a carbon tax that will gradually increase over time, offset by a reduction in payroll taxes.

Jeff Flake is Freaking Brilliant | Coyote Blog

I do think though he could have based on his stances on this issue in the past voted on the issue. While it's very important to be with family, I don't see how he could not have done both. If Patrick Kennedy can be brought our of rehab to vote for this thing or wherever he was dug up from then it would seem to me that Flake could have exercised a little better judgement on this.

Hey Mike Castle (Delaware), go f**k yourself. I knew my email to your office wouldn't mean anything to you. Are you forgetting you work for me a-hole. Now I expect more of the same from Delaware Democrat Senator, Tom Carper. This clown believes in the global warming hoax and says on his website he is committed on getting a climate bill passed in Congress.

Last edited:

Greg,

Jeff

Excuse me,, couldn't he cast a NO vote in absentia? Methinks he's just wetting his finger and holding it up to determine which way his political wind is blowing.
that is a statement that shows you dont know who Jeff Flake is
and i think he had a legit reason to miss that vote
his one vote would not have defeated it in the house anyway

Forum List

Back