Confessions of a Club ball Dad, Pt 2.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I wrote a similar post awhile back, but now that my son has graduated college and his baseball days are behind him, I feel compelled to give you a first hand perspective into the very costly, stressful world of club sports.

My son was a pitcher since he was 9. He is left handed and was always better than most of the kids he played with, even as a hitter up through high school. We joined our first club ball team when he was 10. Going from the mellow world of Little League, we weren't ready for the nasty, ego driven, psycho parents of club ball. I mean WOW. The original coach left and the assistant who took over made his son the number one pitcher even though he would average about 6 walks and 2 hit batters a game. We paid a total of a couple thousand dollars in coaches fees, tournament fees, uniform fees, field fees etc. That was just one season and the cheapest by far.
Over the next few years it was a combination of Little League and club ball teams. Out of state tournaments, national tournaments, lessons, cage time, baseball bats, etc. etc. etc. Cha Chiing Cha Cha Ching. Yes by the time he was in high school we were in to the tune of a bout 20 thousand. Then came high school ball which was pretty great. For the first time in 10 years his team made a deep run for the state championship. He had the good fortune to start against and beat the defending state champion pitching a complete game. I have never NEVER been more nervous in my entire life for anything. And never been happier when he got the last out.
I'll probably remember that day on my death bed.
But there was also still club ball teams and American Legion teams and as always the cash register was still ringing. By the end of high school the tally was probably well over 30 thousand.

So what's my point? It is this. Even though my son had all the experience and was a proven Division 1 level pitcher, ranked in the top 5 he wasn't picked by any D1 school Why? He wasn't over 6 feet tall and he didn't throw 90 MPH. Period. So after all the hype and expense and travelling he ended up going to small colleges to play ball where he probably could have gone without all that fuss.
I look at a couple of my relatives who are neck deep into club sports with their kids and I see myself 10 years ago wigging out every time my kid didn't play or was dissed by some coach. It's all about ego really. At any club tournament you go to there are hundreds of kids playing right? Out of those hundreds of kids maybe 3 or 4 will make it to a D1 school. And out of all the D1 kids, maybe one or two per team will have some minor league career. A pro career is a 1 in 100,000 shot. Or worse.
Just be honest with yourself and your kid. If you buy into the hype that your kid is going to be a pro or even D1, he better be a straight up beast otherwise you will be in for a surprise. For division 1, they recruit based on projectability, not on your kids stats. They will give full ride scholarships to some kids who have barely played the sport but have such speed size and strength they gamble they can teach him. I talked to one coach who was recruiting my son for a D2 school and he said they picked up a couple Canadian hockey players because of how fast their reflexes were even though they played almost no baseball!

I read your last post. I found it very informative. My kid is now entering his sophomore year. He just got done with his first year in the AAU leagues, (Basketball.) He would like to go for a basketball scholarship. He is realistic though, he'd be happy with a small school.

Your previous post brought a lot of clarity to me. His mom is all about his basketball career. I think he should focus on the fun of it, and make sure he stays focused on academics. It is really hard to get that through to a teen though. lol

I really appreciate your posts.

I have had him and his mom both watch the documentaries "Trophy Kids" and "At All Costs" on Netflix, so they don't lose sight of what is important in life. Thank you for your posts.

Usually my parents are snowbirds, they like to travel south every year for the winter, Florida, Texas, SoCal, that sort of thing.

Since he has been a starter for his Jn. High and High schools teams that have been staying up North here to watch him play, especially now that he has been making the AAU teams. It is Basketball year around now.

His mom is all about it. She played in High School, so she is all about it.

I could never afford it with my disability. As long as she wants to put up the cash, whatever. I have a hard enough time coming up with the money to travel to the games and pay the cover to get into the games. lol

I only want him to have fun.

The whole family seems to get in on it though. My dad really likes it. I was always an intellectual, never played sports.

However, our family, and his mom's, are naturally pretty tall. My grandfather was 6'5", and his mother's father is pretty tall. So we'll see where it goes.

In all of this, I never knew that my dad played High School ball, but was forced to quit, because, well, the farm was more important and he just didn't have a ride to practice. He even put up a hoop over at their house for when my kid is over there.

None of it means that much to me. I always ask him, even if they lose the games they play, if he is still having fun.

Because, if it isn't any fun anymore, well, shit, it really isn't worth doing, is it?

Seriously though, I just got his report card in the mail today, it was straight A's. I told him, he can do what ever he wants if he gets straight A's. :lol:

Usually my parents are snowbirds, they like to travel south every year for the winter, Florida, Texas, SoCal, that sort of thing.

Since he has been a starter for his Jn. High and High schools teams that have been staying up North here to watch him play, especially now that he has been making the AAU teams. It is Basketball year around now.

His mom is all about it. She played in High School, so she is all about it.

I could never afford it with my disability. As long as she wants to put up the cash, whatever. I have a hard enough time coming up with the money to travel to the games and pay the cover to get into the games. lol

I only want him to have fun.

The whole family seems to get in on it though. My dad really likes it. I was always an intellectual, never played sports.

However, our family, and his mom's, are naturally pretty tall. My grandfather was 6'5", and his mother's father is pretty tall. So we'll see where it goes.

In all of this, I never knew that my dad played High School ball, but was forced to quit, because, well, the farm was more important and he just didn't have a ride to practice. He even put up a hoop over at their house for when my kid is over there.

None of it means that much to me. I always ask him, even if they lose the games they play, if he is still having fun.

Because, if it isn't any fun anymore, well, shit, it really isn't worth doing, is it?
It is all about fun agreed. I have a Nephew who is the son of a star D1 player (injury ended his career) and I'm sorry to say the kid is not a chip off the old block. They are living the club ball nightmare right now, going to out of state tournaments and the kid not playing. I feel so bad for the kid and he takes it really hard. Ugh. That doesn't sound like your son at all, but it is important that he is doing it for HIM and because he loves it and because it's fun.

I think parents are losing insight as to why they want their kids involved in sports. It becomes all about ego....bragging to other parents about how great your kid is and by default....how that makes them great parents
It also becomes about greed.......my kid will be the one who wins a scholarship. My kid is pro material

The OP points out a reality check. No matter how well your kid does against other kids at club level, if he or she lacks certain size, weight and speed capabilities, they will be passed over

There are a lot of "Rudy's" out there. Kids who have the desire and want to compete. But in the end, Notre Dame won't even look at you

Forum List

Back